Gunnar to play SS full time

Frobby

2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

This means Mateo isn't starting vs LHP and moving Gunnar to 3B as he often did last year. Also means they have decided on Holliday 2B for now.

I think Mateo will start against LHP in Center Field quite often this year, with Mullins not playing...unless Mulllins improves in hitting lefties vs. last year.  Point is, Mateo will see more time in CF than he did last year, and will also see time at 2B, LF and RF, as well as the occasional start at SS to give Henderson some days off.  It's been pretty clear during spring training that they are preparing him to be the super-utility guy that can play just about everywhere.  We just need to hope he'll improve his hitting for a full season.  I said in another thread that Mateo is basically taking McKenna's spot, but also has the ability to play the infield.

Now, if Elias can get another GM to give us some decent value for Mateo, then we'd go to plan B.

It is pretty interesting to see them squirm around and try to figure out what Mateo is doing. Mullins and Gunnar are not really platoon guys, and Mateo is not really a 2B so platooning with Holliday or even Wong seems weird, especially when you have Westburg and Urias. And Mateo does not play 3B. 

So... yeah. He makes sense only as a pure 5th OF and backup SS to me. I don't see him as a platoon guy at all. 

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

It is pretty interesting to see them squirm around and try to figure out what Mateo is doing. Mullins and Gunnar are not really platoon guys, and Mateo is not really a 2B so platooning with Holliday or even Wong seems weird, especially when you have Westburg and Urias. And Mateo does not play 3B. 

So... yeah. He makes sense only as a pure 5th OF and backup SS to me. I don't see him as a platoon guy at all. 

Mateo won't be "platooning" with anyone.  He'll be getting starts all around the field, including 2B.  The Orioles have started him a few times at 2B in the last week, and he's looked perfectly fine there.  I was at the games this past weekend, and Mateo play 2B, RF and then LF.  And then against the Phillies two days ago, he started at 2B and then went to SS.  Like it or not, we'll see him all over the field this year.  I kind of like it, and will like it better if his hitting exceeds all of our collective expectations.

Just now, Sanity Check said:

Mateo won't be "platooning" with anyone.  He'll be getting starts all around the field, including 2B.  The Orioles have started him a few times at 2B in the last week, and he's looked perfectly fine there.  I was at the games this past weekend, and Mateo play 2B, RF and then LF.  And then against the Phillies two days ago, he started at 2B and then went to SS.  Like it or not, we'll see him all over the field this year.  I kind of like it, and will like it better if his hitting exceeds all of our collective expectations.

I agree he won't be platooning. I disagree that he's looked fine at 2B. I saw him botch a play he should have made a couple days ago. Took a weird angle on it and then couldn't get it out of his glove. I think he'll be fine most of the time if he has to play 2B, but I wouldn't say I'm comfortable with that. And why would he play there much? We have two right-handed 2B on the roster already in Westburg and Urias. 

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

Roch:

Holliday subbed for Gunnar Henderson, who led off and played the position that now belongs to him in 2024. Sharing is caring, but Henderson can hog it.

Manager Brandon Hyde confirmed it to the media this afternoon. Henderson won’t shift between short and third. Precisely what last year’s American League Rookie of the Year wanted to hear.

“That’s what I was drafted as and what I played my whole life growing up,” Henderson said, “so I’m looking forward to just getting some consistent playing time there.”

I haven’t read the rest of this thread but this is what I have hoped to read/hear all offseason. 

Setting aside whatever longterm debate between Gunnar/Holliday at SS that will undoubtedly reemerge, for this year and the next couple of years, this is the best thing for the player AND for the O’s. Gunnar should have won the UTL GG last year. He split his time between 3B and SS and was still very good at SS. To me, he looks like he has another level on defense that he can climb if he is able to focus solely on one position. I know the arguments about the potential platinum level 3B play but I’m not sure he’s quite that good there. I believe that he can be equally good as a longterm SS but can probably be more effective there than as a 3B. 

To me, this is excellent news and something that I was hoping would happen. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

I think Mateo will start against LHP in Center Field quite often this year, with Mullins not playing...unless Mulllins improves in hitting lefties vs. last year.  Point is, Mateo will see more time in CF than he did last year, and will also see time at 2B, LF and RF, as well as the occasional start at SS to give Henderson some days off.  It's been pretty clear during spring training that they are preparing him to be the super-utility guy that can play just about everywhere.  We just need to hope he'll improve his hitting for a full season.  I said in another thread that Mateo is basically taking McKenna's spot, but also has the ability to play the infield.

Now, if Elias can get another GM to give us some decent value for Mateo, then we'd go to plan B.

Agreed. He will also probably spell Gunnar and Holliday from time to time but not on a platoon basis.

42 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

I do not expect Mateo to see a lot of action in CF against lefties.  Since switching to batting lefty full-time, Mullins has a .698 OPS vs. LHP, compared to Mateo’s career .667 vs. LHP.   Simply put, Mateo does not hit lefties well enough to earn a lot of platoon time over Mullins.   

I think Mateo will be a jack of all trades this year, but he’s going to play much more sparingly than he did in 2023 unless he hits a lot better, which I doubt.  

• Upvote 1

I think they'll move on from Mateo mid-season.

I could see Holliday getting the bulk of the starts at 2B

Gunnar getting the starts at SS

Urias and Westburg more or less platooning at 3B. With Westburg getting some action against RHP to help his development.

Urias OPS against RHP: .758

Westburg OPS against RHP: .676

Westburg OPS against LHP: .786

Urias OPS against LHP: .686

I know a lot of people are eager to move on from Urias, but a gold glove third baseman who puts up a .758 OPS from the strong side of a platoon is a hell of a piece to have on your bench. His power numbers have looked promising this spring, too.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Sure, why not.

Senor Holliday may be our next centerfielder eventually.

I've mentioned this idea before.  While Holliday learns the nuances of 2B this season, a future move (next year or two) to CF could make sense as well.  Again, not this year.  Ideally, EBJ will be our future CF, but not all prospects work out.  If EBJ struggles to hit, having Holliday able to fill that spot as Mullins moves on could allow Westburg regular AB's at 2B, while filling an important defensive position in CF.

Versatility is important to the O's.  Let him spend this season getting 2B down, but don't be surprised if during the Spring next season JH gets a few looks in center.

Mateo maximizes roster spots by filling whatever role Urias and McKenna can do vs. LHP.  Maybe not a 100% replacement of starters, but we know Cedric will need rest/maintenance days.  Similar direction (not degree) for 2B and SS when they want to sit a starter.

Mateo = .667 OPS

Urias = .686

McKenna = .621

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sanity Check said:

Between May 1 and the end of the season last year he hit .179/.228/244/.474 over 267 PA.  Exceeding out expectations when it comes to hitting is a low bar to clear.  The only argument I see for him being on the team is that his combination of speed, defensive ability and purported versatility can remove the need to carry a fifth OF and maybe Urias too if Westburg also makes the team.

While this is a Gunnar thread (and I’m very pleased to see the Os keep him at SS where he will be/already is a plus defender), I wanted to comment briefly on some of the other players mentioned.  

• In the 3/14 game I saw in person against Pitt in Bradenton, Mateo looked VERY good defensively at 2B.  A super utility with speed can be valuable, and if he hits OK in 2024 I could see Mateo remaining on team in 2025 with Mayo displacing Urías. 
  • In the spring training action and highlights, Holliday also appears very comfortable at 2B and his hands + throwing on the run at different angles.  And it is apparent he prefers throwing on the run to use his smooth athleticism.  Have yet to see him plant right foot and fire a throw from the hole, in fact some of his throws in 2B hole and double play pivots are of the jump variety.  And in terms of CF possibilities, you usually see guys move from INF to OF when their hands are questionable and Hollidays are one of his better traits.
  • In the 3/14 prospects game, Bradfield looked AMAZING defensively in CF. Playing very shallow the whole time. And when liner over his head went to warning track, he was able to turn and absolutely fly to the ball when I thought he had no chance. Yes TBD on whether he will hit enough.
  • Upvote 3

44 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Mateo maximizes roster spots by filling whatever role Urias and McKenna can do vs. LHP.  Maybe not a 100% replacement of starters, but we know Cedric will need rest/maintenance days.  Similar direction (not degree) for 2B and SS when they want to sit a starter.

Mateo = .667 OPS

Urias = .686

McKenna = .621

It would be helpful if you would identify what those OPS numbers are.  They’re career splits vs: LHP.  All I can say is, all those numbers suck.  

Pleased about Gunner!!! To start the year  -  Adley, McCann, Mountcastle, O,Hearn, Holliday, Gunner, Westburg, Urias, Mateo, Hays, Mullins, Santander, and (Pick Your Fourth Outfielder). Westburg and Urias can play either second or third. Mateo is a special utility type who can cover centerfield. O'Hearn can cover corner outfield slots as well.

I initially thought Cowser for fourth outfielder but now not so sure. Stowers could surprise. There is a ton of positional mobility on this team. 

I think against left-handed pitching, Urias will be at third and Westburg at second. Hyde will ease Holliday in. Mateo could very well DH instead of having McCann DH as he did last year if Adley was catching. 

Team will be different come mid-year. IMHO, Elias is not going to just dump either, Mateo, Urias, or O'Hearn. Trades and injuries will more than likely happen or non-performance.

Weakest links offensively - the Two M's - Mateo and McCann with Mateo taking Frazier's place with the most 2024 pages on OH.😀