Gunnar to play SS full time

Frobby

9 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I thought this was already established. Who was going to play SS over him?

This means Mateo isn't starting vs LHP and moving Gunnar to 3B as he often did last year. Also means they have decided on Holliday 2B for now.

31 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

$$$$$$

But that’s the whole stupid point. There was never any reason to pay Mateo what he’s making. You wanna offer him arbitration, fine but trade him. I don’t understand how Elias constructs a roster, but he does get the benefit of the doubt. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Jagwar said:

If Mateo isn't going to play much SS, I'm not sure why he would go north with the team. 

Because he's going to backup SS, get plenty of AB's at 2B and CF against LHP.

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

This means Mateo isn't starting vs LHP and moving Gunnar to 3B as he often did last year. Also means they have decided on Holliday 2B for now.

I thought those things were fairly known/established. Gunnar is a budding superstar. You don’t platoon those kinds of guys. Also, there are too many other young INF players now to move him to other INF positions so that Mateo can play with any regularity. If Gunnar goes to 3B and Westburg goes to 2B, where would that leave Holliday and/or Mayo (whenever they arrive)?

I never saw the musical chairs regarding established guy’s positions being a thing that would last. Where does Corey Seager play SS? Arenado 3B? Marcus Semien 2B? - At some point as players become established, they are going to gravitate to a certain spot with things like Allstar appearances, silver slugger awards, etc to consider. 

6 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

1. Gunnar wants to play SS.

2. Cal is now partial owner of the Orioles and he has always said he believes it would more beneficial to Gunnar to play one position full time. (See #1: Gunnar wants to pay SS.)

3. Gunnar is good at playing SS

4. If the Orioles want to entice Gunnar into signing a long term extension, it makes sense to keep him happy. One of the ways you help keep him happy is to let Gunnar play Shortstop.

What does that mean for Holliday? Guess we will have to watch and find out.

I’d order those 3, 1, 4.   2 had better be a complete non-factor.  

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I thought those things were fairly known/established. Gunnar is a budding superstar. You don’t platoon those kinds of guys. Also, there are too many other young INF players now to move him to other INF positions so that Mateo can play with any regularity. If Gunnar goes to 3B and Westburg goes to 2B, where would that leave Holliday and/or Mayo (whenever they arrive)?

I never saw the musical chairs regarding established guy’s positions being a thing that would last. Where does Corey Seager play SS? Arenado 3B? Marcus Semien 2B? - At some point as players become established, they are going to gravitate to a certain spot with things like Allstar appearances, silver slugger awards, etc to consider. 

I agree it is the right decision and signals have been pointing that way but some here have said Holliday was drafted 1-1 as a SS, etc. They moved Gunnar around last year and actually played him slightly more at 3B when a lot of us were saying they should lock him in to a position. They said this spring that Holliday would be 2B when he comes up but we still don't know when that's going to be. I think it is nice to have confirmation they have a more definite plan now. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

I thought this was already established. Who was going to play SS over him?

It could have been similar to last year, with him moving to 3B fairly often.  Gunnar played more and more SS as the year went along, but he never got to the point of playing it full time.  I’m glad they will let him settle in more this year.  

44 minutes ago, waroriole said:

But that’s the whole stupid point. There was never any reason to pay Mateo what he’s making. You wanna offer him arbitration, fine but trade him. I don’t understand how Elias constructs a roster, but he does get the benefit of the doubt. 

I agree although I have said all offseason that the only reason to keep him is if you send Holliday down, which I think they are going to do.

Great confirmation!

Mateo has better splits vs. LHP than Urias.  Better defensive flexibility/match for rising stars too.

Urias is the odd man out eventually.  Hopefully we see a trade within the next week-month because Urias is MLB caliber and Mayo is MLB ready.

I don't think this is news really. I'm sure even though he's the "starting SS", he will still rarely get a start at 3B if needed for whatever reason. 

I also don't really think this affects Holliday's chances. Both Mateo and Urias were always making the team, and both are bench guys. Mateo takes McKenna's role as 5th OF, Urias is UTIL IF, Holliday starts at 2B. Cowser for 4th OF. But we shall see. 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 2