Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

On 6/28/2024 at 10:25 AM, OnlyOneOriole said:

Has anyone ever read or heard about what specifically is wrong with  JH's elbow besides 'inflammation'? 

Does he have a Tommy John type injury?  Bone chip?   I have looked and everything is very vague.

Kind of concerning that he is just DHing and they still gave him another day off last night.  That can't be a good sign.

I reckon they’re being careful. Even swinging uses those muscles but not in the way and stress that throwing does.

That type of inflammation is incredibly common. And you can get through it pretty quickly especially when young. Look at Neto.

11 hours ago, Filmstudy said:

Holliday went 1 for 2 with 3 walks on Friday night.

2024: .444 OBP, .911 OPS

MiLB Career: .447 OBP, .931 OPS

His OBP is EXACTLY what this O's team needs, would fill a key offensive weakness at 2nd base, help grind opposing pitching, and magnify the power up and down the lineup.  It's all dependent on his ability to throw and play 2B at a passable level.

If Holliday starts to hit at the ML level, the question of who bats leadoff is over for the foreseeable future and we can go back to complaining about 1 slumping hitter or backup catcher at the bottom of the lineup.

Then thing is you are not going to walk at the same rate that JH does in the majors compared to AAA.

They didn't draft him to walk.  They drafted him to hit.

And when he was here?  He batted .059 I believe. 

O 5 9.  It is almost impossible to do.

Edited by OnlyOneOriole

1 hour ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Then thing is you are not going to walk at the same rate that JH does in the majors compared to AAA.

How many ABs was that?

1 hour ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Agreed.  I’m concerned with a .270 something avg with a ton of walks.  ML pitchers aren’t going to be careful unless he makes them pay when they throw strikes.   I’d like to see him over .300 before the end of the year.  If he’s truly an elite hitter I was expecting a BA well over .300.   We’ve got power hitters like Kjerstad and Mayo around .300 at AAA.   Holliday is a hitter with some power.  He needs to step it up.

23 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

How many ABs was that?

34, according to his stat page.

There have been many, many guys who have had 2 for 34 stretches and went on to hit .300-ish for the season.  Trying to extract any meaning from such a microscopic sample size of at bats is pretty pointless.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

There have been many, many guys who have had 2 for 34 stretches and went on to hit .300-ish for the season.  Trying to extract any meaning from such a microscopic sample size of at bats is pretty pointless.

18 strikeouts over 34 AB’s, especially for someone who’s more of a contact hitter is alarming.   Does it mean anything?   No, it just means he was totally overwhelmed his first 34 ML AB.

That’s why he’s at Norfolk.   It meant something to Hyde and Elias.

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Holliday played on the 25th and 26th.  Sat out on 27.  Played on the 28th.  Sat out last night and not in today lineup.  No bueno.   

That is strange to say the least.   Something isn't right and it is probably more serious than they are letting on.  He isn't even throwing, just hitting.

Tommy John?

I have mentioned this before but I have a torn UCL and a chip the size of a quarter in my right (throwing) elbow.  Probably got it from years of playing tennis,.  Anything I throw underhanded or even side arm is ok.   Lifting weights is ok.   But trying to throw overhand?   Excruciating.  I would have to think JH may be having one of those 2 things going on at this point.  I wonder if that was why he was yipping his throws to first base when he was with the Os.  Pretty unusual for a 20 year old non pitcher to get an injury like that at such a young age.

Edited by OnlyOneOriole

9 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

That is strange to say the least.   Something isn't right and it is probably more serious than they are letting on.  He isn't even throwing, just hitting.

Tommy John?

It’s not strange at all. They brought him back quickly off the IL because they felt he could hit. He has sat twice since bringing him back…day games after a night game.

When he was playing in the field, he was getting a day off every week as well.

So, they are giving him an extra day off as he recovers from an injury..being extra cautious with him.

I don’t think that’s strange at all.

If he needed TJ surgery, they wouldn’t have brought him back and it’s not likely his elbow has gone from tendonitis to a torn ligament in a weeks time (ie, it’s not likely to have gotten that much worse)

I had tennis elbow and couldn’t lift anything heavier than a cell phone without having a lot of pain and ended up having to get 3 cortisone injections for it to be ok.

Suffice it to say, if this is what he’s experiencing, he likely couldn’t lift a bat, much less get hits.

They are essentially letting him rehab while playing, which indicates to me their intention of having him up this year.

14 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I have mentioned this before but I have a torn UCL and a chip the size of a quarter in my right (throwing) elbow.  Probably got it from years of playing tennis,.  Anything I throw underhanded or even side arm is ok.   Lifting weights is ok.   But trying to throw overhand?   Excruciating.  I would have to think JH may be having one of those 2 things going on at this point.  I wonder if that was why he was yipping his throws to first base when he was with the Os.  Pretty unusual for a 20 year old non pitcher to get an injury like that at such a young age.

Tennis players almost never tear their UCL.   Even Nadal with his unorthodox explosive swing never had elbow problems.   Bryan Baker (no, not our Bryan) is the only one I remember and can find documented.  

I do wish the O’s were more forthcoming with minor league injuries but it may be we will never know what is the issue and he just ends up back on the field playing full time without explanation.    Hoping so and sooner than later. 

3 hours ago, Morgan423 said:

That was exactly my point in asking the question. People think his first stretch in MLB determines who he will be going forward. That sample size is ridiculously small.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Il BuonO said:

That was exactly my point in asking the question. People think his first stretch in MLB determines who he will be going forward. That sample size is ridiculously small.

I doubt that even the biggest Holliday doubters think that’s “who he’ll be going forward.” At most it’s dampened some of the expectations of when he’ll be at least a solid ML starter.