Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

1 hour ago, Jagwar said:

I suppose all of the vitriol aimed at Holliday can now be re-aimed at Mayo until he comes around. 

Yes, I feel like he needs to be under the same, super intense microscope.  SOMETHING IS WRONG!!!  DID HE NOT CROSS TRAIN IN MULTIPLE SPORTS!!!!  GIRL PROBLEMS!!!!!  IS HIS FAMILY TOO CLOSE!!!

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

One thing I’ve definitely noticed since the most recent call-up is that Holliday’s swing is noticeably flatter.  That allows him to drive pitches near the top of the zone in a way he wasn’t earlier this year.   And, now that he’s had some success, you can see his confidence rising.  

I don’t like his habit of catching pop-ups down by his torso.  He dropped one today but also did it a couple of other times.  That’s a bad technique.  

Good observations. I see a lot of gloating on here about how people were right to be patient with Holliday. Many of those same people were against sending him down because he had nothing more to learn. Seems getting sent down in fact was a good thing. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Good observations. I see a lot of gloating on here about how people were right to be patient with Holliday. Many of those same people were against sending him down because he had nothing more to learn. Seems getting sent down in fact was a good thing. 

I’m not sure that anyone/many were hardline against him being sent down. I thought they should have given him another weeks worth of games, for example.

Either way, I’m happy to be wrong about the sending down if the belief in him is vindicated. Frankly, it was a very loud minority who wanted him gone.

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

Why do people feel the need to pick fights with other posters?

Thats my point. Just because you “win” a talk on the OH, that literally doesn’t change reality of anything with the team or players. 

But to my other point… I think there is a non zero chance that Holliday wiggles his way into the leadoff spot this year. The umps just have to cooperate. 

13 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Thats my point. Just because you “win” a talk on the OH, that literally doesn’t change reality of anything with the team or players. 

But to my other point… I think there is a non zero chance that Holliday wiggles his way into the leadoff spot this year. The umps just have to cooperate. 

I think the best iteration of our lineup has him leading off, just not sure if he will make it there this year or not. I certainly would not make a change right now, but if he continues at this pace you will want to get him as many ABs as possible.

1 minute ago, IPlayGM said:

I think the best iteration of our lineup has him leading off, just not sure if he will make it there this year or not. I certainly would not make a change right now, but if he continues at this pace you will want to get him as many ABs as possible.

If the umps give him any type of respect he will get there. Huge IF though. 

They want him to spaz out like Manny did a few times. 

15 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We are fortunate to have several good options at leadoff.  Holliday may well become one of them.  

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

If the umps give him any type of respect he will get there. Huge IF though. 

They want him to spaz out like Manny did a few times. 

If he keeps hitting, the umps will come around quickly.

8 hours ago, baltfan said:

There is so much wrong with this post but all I will say and I know this comes as a complete Shock to people but development can occur at the ML level.

• Upvote 1

Just now, IPlayGM said:

If he keeps hitting, the umps will come around quickly.

Nah. Ask Adley. The umps aren’t giving us any respect still. It’s not the typical cry about the umps either. They’re doing it to us because we’re young. 

Kudos to Holliday for keeping his cool. If there were robo umps he probably never would’ve been sent down. But we are where we are and he’s a better player now. 

Just now, Sports Guy said:

There is so much wrong with this post but all I will say and I know this comes as a complete Shock to people but development can occur at the ML level.

Of course it can.   But there are times where the minors are a better setting.  I think this has worked out well for Holliday and the Orioles.  He came up, got a lesson on what he needed to work on, went down and worked on it, and came back a better player.  That’s how it looks to me.   

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Of course it can.   But there are times where the minors are a better setting.  I think this has worked out well for Holliday and the Orioles.  He came up, got a lesson on what he needed to work on, went down and worked on it, and came back a better player.  That’s how it looks to me.   

When robo umps become a thing, Holliday will have a .400 OBP. Maybe Adley too.