Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

36 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

They just failed on getting that one really solid BP arm.

Domínguez and Soto have potential and upside to do well but they are far from a sure thing. 

I agree.  Thats the one fail.  It sounds like the price for solid RP was insane, but still the BP is a little shaky and will need to step up if we are going to make a legit run.  It would be a heck of a time for Soto to go back to his old dominant version.  

Just now, emmett16 said:

I agree.  Thats the one fail.  It sounds like the price for solid RP was insane, but still the BP is a little shaky and will need to step up if we are going to make a legit run.  It would be a heck of a time for Soto to go back to his old dominant version.  

And it’s also possible someone(s) from within step up to help. I would give McDermott one or 2 more starts and then move him to the pen for the rest of this season. 

I also wonder if they are quietly thinking Bautista could be back.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

And it’s also possible someone(s) from within step up to help. I would give McDermott one or 2 more starts and then move him to the pen for the rest of this season. 

I also wonder if they are quietly thinking Bautista could be back.

Seems like we would be hearing more about his rehab.  I'm also worried that we aren't hearing more about Coulombe.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Seems like we would be hearing more about his rehab.  I'm also worried that we aren't hearing more about Coulombe.

We have heard a lot about the rehab and all they can and have said about DC is that he’s on target for his return. Not sure what else you want to hear.

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

I hate to be the guy over reacting over small sample sizes, but now I see what everyone else has been saying about Holliday. 

Before the deadline, I said I'd trade Holliday before Mayo or Basallo. Now I'm not so sure. I wasn't aware of his speed and you can see he can really hit the ball hard.

I still think the latter two can be elite for 5-6 years here, so I'm glad no trade happened involving them.

I have friends mad we didn't go all in at the deadline. My response is that Elias is still playing the long game. He's identified his studs to build around and he's sticking to that regardless of short term team needs. I'm happy about that.

There is no more valuable asset than elite, time/cost controlled, position players at premier positions.

It doesn't matter whether you think you're in a "window" or not--those types of players should not effectively never be traded. The only theoretical reason would be if the other side is overpaying, but that's never going to happen with a prospect. In fact, the other side is going to trade on the idea that there's projection built in to those players and so you should be the one taking a haircut, which is all the more reason to not trade them.

This is basically what untouchable means. We've been extremely fortunate to have had a bunch of untouchable assets recently, but that doesn't mean any one of them is any less valuable.

1 hour ago, emmett16 said:

To your first point, yes, the speed is the difference maker.  That plus the power makes him a potential superstar who has the ability to effect the game in a variety of ways.

To further explain my ignorance, I not only didn't know about his speed, I also assumed he would have more like Markakis level power. That might be true this year, but those EVs suggest to me that he'll have more HR upside than Markakis ever had.

Markakis' plate approach plus better speed, more power and a more premium position. Ok. I get it now!

33 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

To further explain my ignorance, I not only didn't know about his speed, I also assumed he would have more like Markakis level power. That might be true this year, but those EVs suggest to me that he'll have more HR upside than Markakis ever had.

Markakis' plate approach plus better speed, more power and a more premium position. Ok. I get it now!

That has been my biggest surprise this year as well.  It was said to be his "weak" spot and I heard a lot of guys say he'd be a 20+HR type of guy.  He's only 20 y/o and is putting up impressive EV #s.  I didn't expect him to have as much power as he does at this stage of his career. 

5 hours ago, LookinUp said:

I know there was a ranking of the minor leaguers with the top 10 best power potential and Holliday was on it.  I think he's more likely to hit line drive HR, but I could definitely see multiple 30 HR seasons.