Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

1 hour ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Except I have never said that.  Ever.

Please show me where I have.  

All I said was he may not be elite. 

Not really good. He should be. Just elite.

Special = Elite

1 hour ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Except I have never said that.  Ever.

Please show me where I have.  

All I said was he may not be elite. 

Not really good. He should be. Just elite.

Guess who said this?   Funny, you use the word “elite” and then use “special special” as in Holliday can’t be “special special” because of the way he looked this spring.   Guess who said this?    Deny, deny, deny.

“Great post and pretty much the same as what I have been saying about JH.  I still think he will be a very good player.  I just don't see elite ELITE in him.   And I think because he was 1 and 1 and blew through the minors so quickly, many just assume he will be the next superstar in MLB.    But as I have said before, he doesn't flash to me like a superstar should.  He performs well, but more so because he is just a really good baseball player, not because he is a freak athletically.   A special special player should not look like he did this spring with the Os.”

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Guess who said this?   Funny, you use the word “elite” and then use “special special” as in Holliday can’t be “special special” because of the way he looked this spring.   Guess who said this?    Deny, deny, deny.

“Great post and pretty much the same as what I have been saying about JH.  I still think he will be a very good player.  I just don't see elite ELITE in him.   And I think because he was 1 and 1 and blew through the minors so quickly, many just assume he will be the next superstar in MLB.    But as I have said before, he doesn't flash to me like a superstar should.  He performs well, but more so because he is just a really good baseball player, not because he is a freak athletically.   A special special player should not look like he did this spring with the Os.”

Give me more really good baseball players.

As bad as he looked the first time up it is hard to imagine him looking better now in this short sample size.  Maybe if he knew how to get under a pop up I would be 100% happy.  Now I am just 95% happy.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We made a last ditch trade for Tim Beckham at the deadline in 2017. He won player of the month in August with 6 HR and an OPS of 1.062. In his first 29 games. 

Holliday is off to a good start to rival that. 

IMG_5764.jpeg

Don’t you dare speak Tim Beckham’s name in the same breath as Jackson Holliday’s. 

• Upvote 1

On his 105.7 interview, Elias said that they will keep giving Holliday reps at SS and making sure he can back up Gunnar there.  Gunnar has played a lot.

He said that Holliday is a SS. He always has been.

That of course could be a throw away comment. I just wish that he was asked more about the SS defense and the arm (both any improvement, the injury, how it happened, etc…)

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

On his 105.7 interview, Elias said that they will keep giving Holliday reps at SS and making sure he can back up Gunnar there.  Gunnar has played a lot.

That of course could be a throw away comment. I just wish that he was asked more about the SS defense and the arm (both any improvement, the injury, how it happened, etc…)

You have said many times - correctly, I think - that the O’s wouldn’t have drafted him 1-1 if they didn’t think he could become a good major league SS.  The only place I differed with you was that just because he was drafted as a SS doesn’t mean he actually has to end up at SS, if the O’s have an even better alternative there.  But obviously they thought he could handle the position when he was drafted, so I’m not surprised that they still think that.  

39 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The issue is I don't see him having the arm to play SS.  He has a very average arm.  Average range.  And he tends to hold the ball longer than he should before throwing it.  (yips?) Until all of those 3 change I don't think he should be anywhere near the SS neighborhood. 

That all being said he looks a lot better than he did this spring.  In all facets. 

45 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Uh, which show was he on? Can’t be JLC right?

Holliday seems to move well at 2B but not confidently. Neither did Gunnar in his very brief stint. I think JH can figure it out, though.

4 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

The issue is I don't see him having the arm to play SS.  He has a very average arm.  Average range.  And he tends to hold the ball longer than he should before throwing it.  (yips?) Until all of those 3 change I don't think he should be anywhere near the SS neighborhood. 

That all being said he looks a lot better than he did this spring.  In all facets. 

Plenty of very good SS, including guys who have played here, have had average arms.

And we don’t know that his arm won’t improve as he does more arm strengthening exercises and gets bigger and stronger.

1 minute ago, survivedc said:

Uh, which show was he on? Can’t be JLC right?

Holliday seems to move well at 2B but not confidently. Neither did Gunnar in his very brief stint. I think JH can figure it out, though.

Oh no, it was JLC. And that coward walked back all of his comments and apologized to him before the interview started. “I get emotional”

Such a douche.