Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

43 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

He's off to a good start.  I'd say he might be AL Player of the week.  When does he move to leadoff?  

After those tough 4 months after he struggled initially, I don't think sliding into the leadoff spot is that big of a deal to him.  I want him getting the most PAs on the team other than Gunnar.  

I think it's premature to move him up in the lineup. Personally, I think he's the perfect 8th hitter right now with the 9-hole guy being a righty then turning it over to the top with the brigade of lefties. They can't be too left-handed due to matchups later in the game but eventually I could see them moving him to leadoff or the 2-hole. I would not touch what he's doing at the moment. Let the momentum ride until they have to adjust. 

I am seeing a good bit of Shohei Othani in Jackson's swing. They both coil and uncoil similarly, and Jackson clears his front him in almost the exact same way. Now, Othani is huge and Holliday will never have his raw power, and I'm not suggesting he ever will, but I'm seeing similar mechanics. 

12 minutes ago, banks703 said:

I think it's premature to move him up in the lineup. Personally, I think he's the perfect 8th hitter right now with the 9-hole guy being a righty then turning it over to the top with the brigade of lefties. They can't be too left-handed due to matchups later in the game but eventually I could see them moving him to leadoff or the 2-hole. I would not touch what he's doing at the moment. Let the momentum ride until they have to adjust. 

I don't think it's premature to move him up in the lineup, but who are we moving down?

Against a RHP, Cowser, Gunnar, Santander, Rutschman, and O'Hearn are all lefties. If Cowser cools off, then there is an opening for Jackson.

Edited by dzorange

8 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

I am seeing a good bit of Shohei Othani in Jackson's swing. They both coil and uncoil similarly, and Jackson clears his front him in almost the exact same way. Now, Othani is huge and Holliday will never have his raw power, and I'm not suggesting he ever will, but I'm seeing similar mechanics. 

I do like how he finishes with 2 hands on the bat. Takes a lot of practice, core strength and flexibility to do that. Ohtani, Judge, and Witt Jr finish like that so it’s making a comeback.

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Holiday is a very mediocre defensive 2B.  He’s been up here for barely a week and I’ve seen him make four misplays, including the initial play of the game tonight.   

Yeah I am super puzzled as to how any minor league scout would have believed he could stick at SS.  He looks average at best so far at 2B. 

37 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Manny says hi.  

Second is more different from SS than third is imo. Different angle, different way to turn your body, etc…(see Gunnar as a recent example)

That said, citing one example means absolutely zero.

Edited by Sports Guy
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Still want to make that confused face on my post?  Two bad plays in the first two innings tonight.  

It’s almost as if those of us who saw him play extensively in the minors were able to look past the prospect rankings to see the (in)complete player that he is.

Make no mistake, he is a big time bat and the defense will improve with reps but this is kinda who he is going to be as an infielder, which is why I think that he ends up in the grass.