Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Honestly, this is one of the weakest arguments I’ve ever heard from you.   After day 3 of the season, Gunnar never had an OPS below .583.  If you don’t think that’s different in kind from .137 (which is Holliday’s high water mark so far), I don’t know what to tell you.  

I’m not down on Holliday long term, but this is as bad as it can possibly be.   I hope he does better in the Angels series, but if it doesn’t (which is a low bar to hurdle), I’d have someone else on the roster on Friday.  

That first sentence is really saying a lot.

2 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

He won’t play much in the Angels series.

And there is no way they demote him in the middle of a CA road trip prior to facing Oakland.

The Oakland series is in Baltimore.  But maybe they’d leave him in that series since they’re a AAA team anyway.  

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, 24fps said:

How is being sent down at this point going to be viewed as anything but utter failure and how is that going to help his confidence?  With all the fanfare that came with his call up, the genie is out of the bottle, so enough with the psychology.  If Holliday gets sent down, it should be to work on improving on identified problems and it should be with his complete buy-in.  There should be enough observational data pretty soon to start identifying things a little more precisely than "oh, he just looks lost..."

But you know what worries me?  I'm worried that Holliday is getting conflicting opinions from his dad and the coaching staff right now.  That's a whole different level of complicated.

I have heard the father interviewed.  He has said really good things about the Orioles coaches.  I think they can work together.  Lots of guys have coaches they have worked with in their youth that are influential 

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

That first sentence is really saying a lot.

I’m not an SG basher.  Most of his arguments are defensible.  It’s more his word choices that I disagree with.  Not this one.  

Just now, baltfan said:

I have heard the father interviewed.  He has said really good things about the Orioles coaches.  I think they can work together.  Lots of guys have coaches they have worked with in their youth that are influential 

I sincerely hope you're right, but honestly I'm skeptical.

1 minute ago, 24fps said:

I sincerely hope you're right, but honestly I'm skeptical.

I don’t think we have. Dylan Buddy’s father thing here. Holliday knows there are good coaches. He also can look at how well the other young hitters are hitting.  

7 minutes ago, 24fps said:

But you know what worries me?  I'm worried that Holliday is getting conflicting opinions from his dad and the coaching staff right now.  That's a whole different level of complicated.

This is a very real possibility. Matt publicly questioning the Orioles keeping Jackson down to start the season, followed by the Orioles quickly promoting him afterwards...at the very least it looks odd. It has to be a tough spot for Jackson to be in, even if he says the right things.

36 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Revamping one’s swing at the ML level sounds like quite the undertaking.  None of the experts here or elsewhere had a problem with his swing before.   I’m sure he’ll figure it out sooner or later but is it fair to the team and is it fair to other players waiting for a chance?

Well, I for one don't think he needs to "revamp" his swing. That seems a bit much, but it was part of the post I was responding to.

Holliday is 1:1.  Someone picked there gets afforded more chances and more time than others.  It might not be fair on the surface, but it is what it is.  

But playing devil's advocate, let's just think of a hypothetical here:  say Holliday goes down and they bring up Norby.  And Norby absolutely mashes.  Just kills it.  

What happens to Holliday for the rest of the season then?  He goes back to Norfolk and he stays there?

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Honestly, this is one of the weakest arguments I’ve ever heard from you.   After day 3 of the season, Gunnar never had an OPS below .583.  If you don’t think that’s different in kind from .137 (which is Holliday’s high water mark so far), I don’t know what to tell you.  

I’m not down on Holliday long term, but this is as bad as it can possibly be.   I hope he does better in the Angels series, but if it doesn’t (which is a low bar to hurdle), I’d have someone else on the roster on Friday.  

You said show me when Gunnar went 1-30. He didn’t but 6-37 is still garbage.  So, do you want to see something like that or was that just something you were making up?

And yes, this is as bad as it can be…so what? 

31 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Mullins didn’t.  Cowser didn ‘t.  This team is in win now mode. If there are guys better than him now, they need a chance.  That would include if he is still struggling in a couple of weeks Norby. 

Adley did.  Gunnar did. 

So...stalemate.  

Let me know when we start losing games squarely because of Jackson Holliday's struggles.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well, I for one don't think he needs to "revamp" his swing. That seems a bit much, but it was part of the post I was responding to.

Holliday is 1:1.  Someone picked there gets afforded more chances and more time than others.  It might not be fair on the surface, but it is what it is.  

But playing devil's advocate, let's just think of a hypothetical here:  say Holliday goes down and they bring up Norby.  And Norby absolutely mashes.  Just kills it.  

What happens to Holliday for the rest of the season then?  He goes back to Norfolk and he stays there?

“that’s a good problem to have”

Thats the bs cliche to answer that, right?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, woodberry said:

This is a very real possibility. Matt publicly questioning the Orioles keeping Jackson down to start the season, followed by the Orioles quickly promoting him afterwards...at the very least it looks odd. It has to be a tough spot for Jackson to be in, even if he says the right things.

He did not question the decision. There is also no way he could question a decision to send him down based on his actual performance which has been objectively terrible 

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m not an SG basher.  Most of his arguments are defensible.  It’s more his word choices that I disagree with.  Not this one.  

You will have to pardon RZ.  His obsession with me, despite a year of not responding to him because I have his dumbass on ignore, hasn’t wavered.  It’s just so pathetic to have to have that level of attention.

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Moose, that’s what we call a good problem.

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You said show me when Gunnar went 1-30. He didn’t but 6-37 is still garbage.  So, do you want to see something like that or was that just something you were making up?

And yes, this is as bad as it can be…so what? 

So maybe you send him down and let him regain his balance, instead of throwing him out there.