Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

1 hour ago, Hallas said:

Just to clarify, the automated balls/strikes system in AAA is based somewhat off of vibes and not the rulebook strike zone.  The system measures a pitch on a plane at the midpoint of home plate, but the rulebook strike zone is a pentagonal prism covering the entire volume  over home plate, between the vertical boundaries.

They did in fact try using the rulebook zone but it was so tilted toward pitchers that they gave up on that really quickly and ended up fudging it.

Your second observation is quite illuminating. I never understood why the box on the TV feed is so much smaller than "knees to letters." In practice it seems "shins to belt." And I guess it has to shrink since pitching has changed so dramatically (velocity, engineered stuff) relative to hitting (launch angle).

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

96 pages and counting for Holliday. 

29 for Henderson (who just happens to be having one of the greatest Oriole individual seasons of all time.

Go figure…..

You added to the Holliday thread instead of the Henderson thread.  Go figure.   🙂

6 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

29 for Henderson (who just happens to be having one of the greatest Oriole individual seasons of all time.

Go figure…..

As it should be. 

On 6/9/2024 at 8:07 AM, Bemorewins said:

Go figure…..

To be fair... what's there to discuss with Henderson?

"He's great, he's going to win an MVP!"

"Yeah!"

*crickets*

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Hallas said:

To be fair... what's there to discuss with Henderson?

"He's great, he's going to win an MVP!"

"Yeah!"

*crickets*

Well, if that's all you can appreciate about him then I guess that's all?

But I am enjoying this wonderful season by him (and Adley and Westburg for that matter) more than I am focused on the struggles of a 20 year old Holliday. But that's just me.

By the way, I'm not sure if Henderson is the odds on favorite to win the MVP at this moment. There's this guy named Judge that's kind of killing it, unfortunately. But we can hope.

• Upvote 1

This is not a sky is falling post but more of a resetting of expectations one.  Holliday has hit .087 the last 7 games.  His OPS is now .898.  A lot of that OPS is driven by OBP.  Normally that is a good thing, but with Holliday he showed little ability to walk at the big league level.  I think last year was a bit of a mirage reminiscent of the amazing year Wieters had in the minors when he was touted as Mauer with power.

In short, Holliday's inability to do damage is going to allow pitchers in the MLB to challenge him.  He won't be walking, like he is in the minors.  It's also troubling that in the majors he seemed to have trouble with every type of pitch, not just velocity.   I still think he is a very good prospect, but I would take Mayo or Basallo over him and would trade him for the right young starter.  I just don't think the upside is there and am worried about the floor more and more.  

On 6/10/2024 at 5:55 PM, Frobby said:

I must have missed this post the first time. The ignore user fuction on this board has increased my enjoyment of the board quite a bit. I highly recommend it.

I agree with you that this thread should be in the minors section. I just assume it's still here because of Holliday's cup of coffee in the majors.

On 6/9/2024 at 11:07 AM, Bemorewins said:

Go figure…..

Because certain posters like to bully a great prospect who struggled in his first taste of the big leagues.  The same posters who post the most when the O's are losing.  Smh