Cole Irvin 2024

Just Regular

9 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Are you satisfied with the quality of reports now? 

It’s not about the quality.  It’s about there actually being a report.   I never said they might not go to a 6 man rotation.  Someone said there was a report.  There wasn’t.   Now there are.

38 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

It’s not about the quality.  It’s about there actually being a report.   I never said they might not go to a 6 man rotation.  Someone said there was a report.  There wasn’t.   Now there are.

So it’s just an amazing coincidence I guess. 

3 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

3 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Anyone could have speculated that the Orioles would go to a 6 man rotation.   That doesn’t mean there was a credible report.   Is it a coincidence that the poster couldn’t find the report and no one else ever saw it?   That’s some secret report.

I could make up some story that I saw a report that Jackson Holliday won’t get called up until after the all-star break.   If it turns out to be the case it doesn’t mean there was an actual report.

Billy probably saw someone speculating on the 6 man rotation and passed it off as a report.   It turned out to be right.   If you think there was a real credible report go find it.   LOL

I just question if we're getting enough use out of him. Maybe he's not as good as Kremer or Means at this time, maybe he is. I just know that he had four consecutive excellent starts through May 10 with a 20+ scoreless innings streak, now in the last ten days he has pitched 1.2 innings. Now, I'm sure Hyde would say that Irvin was standing by on Saturday in case Grayson couldn't get through five innings on his pitch limit. Then Grayson was surprisingly efficient and dominant and cruised through six and Hyde pivoted. But surely Irvin can be more of a weapon than this?

8 hours ago, Big Mac said:

If you think Kremer is more effective in the pen than Irvin, that's a fair enough point.  The far more likely outcome is that Irvin's 42 IP are an outlier and he ends the year consistent with his career norms, which aren't as good as Kremer.  If that begins to be the case, you now have the issue that you have taken a proven #4 SP out of the rotation and out of starting routine and have to plug him back in as a starter.

I don't think it's a wise move for the rest of the season, but if you really feel that they are close as starting pitching options but that Kremer is more effective in the pen than Irvin, I may disagree but that's a reasonable take. 

Here’s the thing (right now), we have 6 starters (one too many) and not enough good relievers (certainly none who can pitch more than an inning). Kremer has issues (this season) the more times that he does through the lineup (especially the third time through). It seems plausible to me that the switch given Kremer’s stuff would be better for everyone where Kremer may even at a tick in velo and be better at getting strikeouts as a reliever. And Irvin who has been an excellent starter (thus far) could continue in that role.

Since Driveline, I've changed to thinking of 100 IP/season as a length pitcher cutoff.     A bunch get babied there.

Irvin's ERA shines if you use the Past 1 Calendar Years split on FG.

Current Orioles are 4th, 10th, 12th and 24th by that measure with Grayson the laggard about to get to flush his Memorial Day meltdown from 2023.

On 5/11/2024 at 7:04 AM, emmett16 said:

No one.  They will go to a 6 man rotation and keep Burned on a regular schedule.  Means, Bradiah, and GRod can use the extra day to help manage their workload.  

This actually makes some sense. If Kremer sticks in the rotation he could also go every 5th day to help manage innings for the others. Only issue is what that does to the bullpen. I could come around to that.

I'm not trying to bury Kremer, but they should have set him down for a few in order to get his blister situation straightened out. Irvin could have stayed in the rotation and IL for Dean. I'm not sure how long it is for a pitcher... maybe 15 days?

Nice outing from Irvin today, throwing 5 shutout innings in his return to the rotation.   His pitch count (92) was a little high for 5 innings, but we’ll take 5 scoreless any day.  

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Nice outing from Irvin today, throwing 5 shutout innings in his return to the rotation.   His pitch count (92) was a little high for 5 innings, but we’ll take 5 scoreless any day.  

Was crazy to take him out of the rotation in favor of Means considering the way he had pitched in the starts leading up to the move.

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

Irvin is a competitor. Was not surprised to see him go out there take his spot back. Lefty SP are just such a huge advantage in our ballpark. As we learned last postseason. 

16 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Irvin is a competitor. Was not surprised to see him go out there take his spot back. Lefty SP are just such a huge advantage in our ballpark. As we learned last postseason. 

Which makes the Means situation even more unfortunate. I hope we see Povich sometime this year.