2024 Ongoing Lineup Thread

spleen1015

9 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

The point isn't that he's missing time, it's that he's playing hurt and it's affecting his production.

He has a 101 OPS+ which is just under his career norm. Without Hays playing every day it is really hard to make judgments about his production or its causes. I am not a huge Hays fan or anything but I am always suspicious when people start using narratives to assess players when there is no way to know what's really going on. 

With our depth I have a hard time believing that the Orioles would play Hays hurt right now. If that is the case, that is mismanagement by the Orioles, not an indictment of Hays.

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

How can anyone say Hays is "playing hurt" when he never plays? He's perfectly healthy. He's just been benched against virtually all righties. 

I love Austin Hays.  He plays his heart out.  But I don’t want to hear apologists making “banged up” “playing hurt” excuses for him whenever he’s not playing well.   It’s tiresome.  His job is to perform when he’s on the field.  He either does, or he doesn’t, no excuses.   Whatever’s going on right now, it’s a minor slump and he needs to get out of it and play better, as he has most of the time after returning from the IL in May.  

Hays is essentially the new McKenna. He plays against lefties and is often a late inning defensive replacement in other games.

My frustration is the lineups we run out against left handed pitchers. We need to add (or bring up Mayo) a right handed bat that can hit. McCann is terrible and does not deserve to play more than once a week. Urias & Mateo cannot both be in the lineup. Too much dead weight.

I'd rather watch our normal line-up with (Kjerstad/ Cowser/ O'Hearn) go 0-4 each than watch those above guys waste at bats because they can't hit lefties. I don't care that they are right-handed!

Edited by DEOriolesfan

22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I love Austin Hays.  He plays his heart out.  But I don’t want to hear apologists making “banged up” “playing hurt” excuses for him whenever he’s not playing well.   It’s tiresome.  His job is to perform when he’s on the field.  He either does, or he doesn’t, no excuses.   Whatever’s going on right now, it’s a minor slump and he needs to get out of it and play better, as he has most of the time after returning from the IL in May.  

This is the anti-Hays crowd saying he is "always injured".

• Upvote 1

What’s wrong with Hays being a role player vs LHP?  That’s what role players do. He’s the weak side of a LF platoon. We will likely move on from him, Mullins, and Santander, this offseason. That’s why I see Stowers and Norby staying. 

53 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Why isn't Kierstadt in this lineup.

Mountcastle against a RH, O'hearn as DH?

Has he been traded?

It's insane that Hyde considers Kjerstad good enough to bat 5th when Kjerstad is in the lineup (and Kjerstad is that good), but he's not good enough to play every day, and he even gets benched against righties. That's inconsistent and illogical, and terrible management. 

3 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

It's insane that Hyde considers Kjerstad good enough to bat 5th when Kjerstad is in the lineup (and Kjerstad is that good), but he's not good enough to play every day, and he even gets benched against righties. That's inconsistent and illogical, and terrible management. 

I would bet my house these individual game calls come down to analytics. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Brooks The Great said:

Perhaps they're easing HK back into action after the concussion. I realize that he played the other day but concussion symptoms can present themselves days or weeks after someone passes all of the checks.

If it's a precautionary thing, I have no problem with them being careful with HK. It seems crazy because of how frequent concussions happen in combat sports and football but the noggin is nothing to mess with. 

1 hour ago, Brooks The Great said:

It seems crazy but I would not jump to conclusions. The pitcher did have even splits in the minors. Could be a nagging injury. Lots of possibilities before "terrible mismanagement"

Heston has been starting 2 out of 3 games most series since his call up.  So 3 right handers you can pick and choose which 2 games you want him to play based on splits.  If he is getting 2 out of every 3 starts that is fine with me.  Players don’t play every game and most play 5 or 6 times a week that has become the new full time player, especially deep teams with decent bench.