3/30 vs Angels.

Satyr3206

Just now, Fiver6565 said:

There’s more luck on the change up to Hicks!!!

You seem to have a hard time with reading comprehension so I'll try one last time, then never reply to you again. He's made some nice pitches. Too many balls are getting barreled and he's been lucky they were at people. Both things can be true, I hope you now know what I'm saying. I'm not confident, though.

37 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Grayson os working fast. I'd like for him to control the intervals between his pitches more to kepe the batters uncomfortable.

As Marcus Stroman says, don’t be a good dance partner.  

1 minute ago, emmett16 said:

He’s been missing spots.  But all in the zone.  The stuff is nasty or he’d be getting peppered.  

I agree for the most part, but in that particle spot it was important.  You do that you get the whiff or pop up. He didn't and they guy hit it to the warning track. 

2 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

Poe mostly grew up in Virginia with several years in the UK I believe.

He did. And did attend school in England. 

But I was listing people born in Baltimore. Poe was born in Boston MA. 

My Bob In Parkville was a joke that probably didn't track with a lot of folks. I'm sure he'd have hated it. 

14 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

I love that Baltimore is hometown to such colorful people over the years. 

John Waters

Frank Zappa

Bob In Parkville

Cab Calloway

Billie Holiday (no relation to Jackson)

Mama Cass

• Upvote 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Agreed, with the caveat that I'm not convinced that (for example) the 1927 Negro Leagues were a completely different quality of play compared to the 1927 AL/NL. My guess is that if the MLB quality was 1.00 and the International League was .90, then the Negro Leagues of that year were .97 or something.
    • They have to DFA Vieria today right? You can't carry this guy in a 30 game stretch that has started off with two short starts.
    • I think pitcher's platoon splits can be larger, and not just due to random variation. Because pitchers can employ strategies that emphasize the platoon split, like throwing sidearm sweepers/sliders that are vastly more effective against same-sided hitters. Hitters really don't have the option of using some kind of strategy that is wildly more effective against one type of pitcher, or one hand of pitcher.
    • Considering our shallow starting pitching pool, should we put on a full court press to extend Corbin Burnes?
    • With the caveats of my last post. Baseball is kind of unique in that Jorge Mateo and Adam Frazier can get as many chances to impact a game as Mike Trout. It's a little like a version of basketball where everyone on the court had to take at least 15% of the team's shots and nobody could take more than 25%. Or a version of football where you have five starting QBs, and they each only start once every five games. And all of them get 162 games to even out the luck. But, yes, variations in performance and randomness impact every sport.
    • I think we're saying the same thing, or at least we rhyme. If they're going to include one league that has completely different quality of play, why not all leagues? Why stop at the Negro Leagues?
    • Baseball is different from most other team sports in a number of key aspects: The number of trials. 162 games is a lot of games to have random variation smooth out. If you pick random 16-game stretches you'll have NFL-like outliers, such as teams going 15-1 or 1-15. Nobody goes 150-12. Pitchers are very limited in how much they can pitch. A 200-inning starter can only have so much impact. Hitters cannot get more than ~1/8th of a team's PAs. This and the prior point means that there's no way around having your 3rd- and 5th and even 14th-best players getting almost as much playing time as #1. So you end up with the most dominant teams usually not even winning 2/3rds of their games, wherein other sports you can have teams win 80% or more. Which makes baseball look more random. Contributing to this is the expanded playoffs, where a .600 vs .575 matchup is more-or-less a coin flip. I doubt most other sports have a situation where the obviously best team in the league has a 25%-ish shot of the Championship (in other words, a 75% chance of going home disappointed) on day one of the playoffs. In most soccer leagues the regular season champ is The Champ, so there's a 0% chance of that. The best team always takes a big trophy home.
  • Popular Contributors