Bullpen 2024

9 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I would think Vespi or Charles up and Ramirez DFA'd should happen today.

Akin (2 IP yesterday, Tate (pitched 2 days in a row) and Kimbrel are not available tonight.

So Cano, Coulombe. Webb, Baumann are available.   Ramirez is not someone I would think can help.

We should try to get 2-3 innings out of Ramirez today and then DFA tomorrow.

Having an optionable piece in the bullpen is more valuable than what Ramirez and Baumann have been giving us. Fire up the shuttle. We should have a 1-2 fresh arms each game between the optionable guys of Tate, Baker, Akin, Vespi, and Wells. 

We’ve avoided FA contracts to keep our bullpen flexibility. It’s time to get back to that thinking. 

11 minutes ago, wildcard said:

With Bradish and Means joining the team this week,  Irvin and Suarez are probably headed to the pen.  That should help the pen.  

Ramirez DFA'd and Tate or Akin optioned unless Elias is alright with DFAing Baumann.

Editing to add, for today I would option Tate. He is the lowest leverage guy aside from Ramirez and just pitched back to back, so he's not going to be available for 2-3 games at least. We lose him for 10 days but get another arm we can use today.

You guys can talk about all the roster shuffling you want.  Means coming back, Bradish coming back and what that means for the bullpen with Irvin and Wells going back to the arm barn.  

That's nice, but IMO, it doesn't change the fact that we don't have two guys like the A's showed us this past weekend, Miller and Erceg.  Irvin and Wells don't give us that, they don't push anyone like that towards the 8th and 9th innings.  

IMO, that's what you need in today's game, high velocity guys with extreme K rates.  We had that last year with Bautista but Elias failed to find anything similar to that in the offseason.  Kimbrel is a decent placeholder but he's on the downswing of his career and it shows.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

You guys can talk about all the roster shuffling you want.  Means coming back, Bradish coming back and what that means for the bullpen with Irvin and Wells going back to the arm barn.  

That's nice, but IMO, it doesn't change the fact that we don't have two guys like the A's showed us this past weekend, Miller and Erceg.  Irvin and Wells don't give us that, they don't push anyone like that towards the 8th and 9th innings.  

IMO, that's what you need in today's game, high velocity guys with extreme K rates.  We had that last year with Bautista but Elias failed to find anything similar to that in the offseason.  Kimbrel is a decent placeholder but he's on the downswing of his career and it shows.

Who is "you guys"? Everyone agrees with this.

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Wells may not be high velocity with extreme K rate, but he should be a good reliever regardless. Not elite, but very good.

Yeah, Kimbrel is on the downswing, but I think it's more that we're riding him like a rented mule and he's getting too old for that.

1 minute ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Wells may not be high velocity with extreme K rate, but he should be a good reliever regardless. Not elite, but very good.

Yeah, Kimbrel is on the downswing, but I think it's more that we're riding him like a rented mule and he's getting too old for that.

That they can't give a save opportunity to someone other than Kimbrel when he's clearly exhausted is insane to me.  Tate might have gotten the job done yesterday.

That they can't give a save opportunity to someone other than Kimbrel when he's clearly exhausted is insane to me.  Tate might have gotten the job done yesterday.

Agreed. We should probably give like 25% of the save opportunities to someone else. Tate, or anyone else, might have gotten the job done yesterday, but unfortunately all we know for sure is Kimbrel couldn't.

He certainly should not be wasted on any 3-run save opportunities, which he's already done a couple of times.

9 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

This is a guy that cared about his game ball from tying #7 on the all time list.

I would be shocked if he didn't get pissy if you kept him out of three run save opportunities.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

This is a guy that cared about his game ball from tying #7 on the all time list.

I would be shocked if he didn't get pissy if you kept him out of three run save opportunities.

Agreed.  But, whatever.  It's on Elias/Hyde to let him know how they plan on using him.