Bullpen 2024

23 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

We are T-5 in most blown saves at 12. With the Yankees at 9, it is basically the difference in the division lead at this point.

I don’t disagree with this.  But it’s not because our bullpen is bad.   It’s because the Yankees’ bullpen is superb.  Like it always seems to be.   

We are T-5th in blown saves but T-4th in save opportunities.   The more save opportunities a team has, the more opportunities to blow one.  

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

SG, there’s a large portion of our fans that don’t feel good when Cano comes into games.

The bullpen is something that the casual fan can just latch onto and blame. Especially on a team that doesn’t sign FA and we gave out 13 million to Kimbrel.

Hopefully, we will get to see our pen with Suarez in it before the deadline. This has been a great regular season pen so far. 

There is good reason to not feel good about Cano. I don’t trust him in high leverage situations against the best teams. 

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

There is good reason to not feel good about Cano. I don’t trust him in high leverage situations against the best teams. 

Do you think that is because every time he pitches it’s a big situation?  We’re so good he’s not coming into situations that aren’t high leverage. So every time he struggles it’s magnified. He was an All Star last year and might be an All Star this year. 

It’s like the reason that we lead the AL with 12 blown saves and the Yankees have 9. Yeah, the two best teams have the most leads to protect. 

We do need to make a move or two for an ALCS showdown with the Yankees. We can’t be outgunned in a series where the bullpens will be huge. 

We probably need a Yimi Garcia and a closer. 

3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Do you think that is because every time he pitches it’s a big situation?  We’re so good he’s not coming into situations that aren’t high leverage. So every time he struggles it’s magnified. He was an All Star last year and might be an All Star this year. 

It’s like the reason that we lead the AL with 12 blown saves and the Yankees have 9. Yeah, the two best teams have the most leads to protect. 

We do need to make a move or two for an ALCS showdown with the Yankees. We can’t be outgunned in a series where the bullpens will be huge. 

We probably need a Yimi Garcia and a closer. 

Cano elicits nervousness because his walks and home runs allowed are way way up this year. His peripherals suggest that he's been very fortunate to not have a higher ERA. 

He's a good pitcher who finds a way to get outs, but currently he's not that all-star that we saw the first half of last season.

18 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

No - it's because his WHIP is up 24% over last season and he has a poor FIP for a late inning reliever.

He is nowhere close to being an All Star this season

17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The bullpen threw another 3.2 scoreless innings tonight.  The bullpen ERA is now 3.24.   For June, in 10 games it’s 0.52.  

The pen has gone 27 innings without giving up an earned run.

(I am not saying we don't need to acquire bullpen help... but it's a pretty damn impressive run).

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, SteveA said:

The pen has gone 27 innings without giving up an earned run.

(I am not saying we don't need to acquire bullpen help... but it's a pretty damn impressive run).

Not to be a worrier(which I am) but if Coulombe is out for a long period, the bullpen will really be tested...and Im not sure we have an adequate replacement...not now, anyway...

50 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Not to be a worrier(which I am) but if Coulombe is out for a long period, the bullpen will really be tested...and Im not sure we have an adequate replacement...not now, anyway...

I thought getting another high leverage reliever was already a priority for the second half of the season and playoff run. If Coulombe is going to to out for an extended stretch then it's become much more urgent. I'm not comfortable with Perez, Akin or Tate in crucial situations.

Ideally Elias trades for an upper 90s bullpen arm that can strikeout batters in the late innings when the other team has runners on base.