Ryan Mountcastle 2024

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

It would be cool to see Mountcastle have his breakout season. While he's probably never going to a high OBP hitter if Mountcastle can be selective enough at the plate he's going to be a problem for opposing pitchers.

Besides maybe Gunnar, Mountcastle hits the ball as hard as any hitter on the team when he barrels up a ball.

Thats right. I’m not looking for him to be high OBP.  Just take his non competitive ABs and make them productive.  With his power that would be massive. 

I used to not be happy to see Mountcastle  come to  bat as I did not have confidence in him at the plate.  Now I feel  much different.  I actually expect to see him pull the ball to the LF corner or at least get a good piece of it.  

5 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I'm putting this in writing so we remember that his off the wall double would have been a home run in 29 other Major League stadiums.

A real professional would have hit it over! 

10 hours ago, emmett16 said:

Thats right. I’m not looking for him to be high OBP.  Just take his non competitive ABs and make them productive.  With his power that would be massive. 

And IMO... O'Hearn on the roster limits Mountcastle facing the RH pitchers who quite often let to those non competitive ABs.  

Mounty looks dialed in so far and the offense looks deep (and more on the way)!

I fully realize there's an emotional wind in my sails, but...   If 2023 was about the nuance of winning (matchups and bullpen use), 2024 looks like a team that will just bring the sticks.  Some of the nuance will carryover for sure, but these guys can hit!

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

Mounty is playing well so far. He has the most hits on the team (13), the same K:BB ratio as Adley (7:5), and has been making some nice defensive plays at 1b. 

He's playing like he wants to be a key part in the upcoming glory days of Orioles baseball.   He played through the dark days and 100-loss seasons, now he wants to be a leader through the good times. The defense has been great last year and through the early going this year.   He just needs to get that home run bat warmed up.  We need some "pop" in the middle of the order. 

Post all-star break last year we saw a different Mountcastle.  In 54 games and 180 AB, he had 25 walks and 43 strikeouts, a .322 average and .893 OPS.

In 2024, the new version continues.  In 13 games, 51 AB, he has 7 walks and 9 strikeouts with a .314 avg and .922 OPS.

Is anyone willing to say that the old hacker version is gone for good?

3 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Yes. For all the haters that penciled in Mayo and/or Basallo into his spot.

I’m still penciling in Basallo into that spot when he’s ready.  Lol

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have said it multiple times this year but I think Mountcastle is in for a career year. He is 27, peak age historically and is hammering the ball again. I know this has been the case the last few years but at some point, I think his luck turns around.

image.thumb.jpeg.889bdbef84e67680160c0fee019d544c.jpeg