Chayce McDermott 2024

Frobby

Great to see McDermott throw strikes tonight and pitch six innings - complete game with rain. I think it's good for both McDermott and Povich to pitch all of August at Norfolk and close strong and maybe compete in spring training.

I would really like this team to shut him down for a couple weeks and shorten him up. He has 2 pitches that can be plus and could be a massive bullpen addition to 2024 roster. Pappelbon started 18 games in 2005 minor leagues before pitching 4 scoreless innings in ALDS. 

With the two RP deadline additions, I think it’s far less likely we see McDermott in the pen for the playoffs. They have a pretty deep group of 8 guys right now, plus Coulombe maybe coming back, and the 5th starter (Kremer or Rogers TBD) available to shift to the pen. 

I think the hope is that Coulombe will be back sometime in September with the expanded roster, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see McDermott make some starts as a 6th starter to give the rotation extra rest before the playoffs. 

I don’t think they’re going to mess with McDermott’s development and risk injury by having him pitch a full SP season and then go to max effort short stints in relief, continuing pitching into October. He only threw 119 IP last year for his most IP in a single season. If all the SP ahead of him on the depth chart are healthy, I think they’re going to hit the SP workload they want for McDermott’s development (140-150 IP?) and then shut him down.

On 7/30/2024 at 10:46 PM, Rbiggs2525 said:

I would really like this team to shut him down for a couple weeks and shorten him up. He has 2 pitches that can be plus and could be a massive bullpen addition to 2024 roster. Pappelbon started 18 games in 2005 minor leagues before pitching 4 scoreless innings in ALDS. 

Really need a strikeout guy in the bullpen instead of Soto who we thought was one.

3 hours ago, Say O! said:

Not good.  Notable MLB pitchers who dealt with scapula stress reactions include Sale, DeGrom, Wacha and each missed considerable amount of time. 

I'm guessing best case he's ready for spring training or it might delay his start of next year?

10 hours ago, LookitsPuck said:

Argh, that’s horrible news for him. Definitely a season ended. Had a hell of a year. Was really looking forward to him getting some reps in the bullpen this year.

Terrible news. Hopefully no surgery is needed. He had about as good as a AAA season as we could’ve asked for. It was all about finding a role on the MLB club. 

Terrible timing for this injury too. If Grayson is down for a while I think McDermott could have gotten a shot over Suarez.

Also ended up using one of McDermott’s option years for him to pitch 4 IP at the MLB level. With the likelihood that he’s going to be AAA SP pitching depth / a RP, that’s not nothing to lose an option year. 

Tough break for the him and the Orioles. I don't know much about this injury but have to imagine that he's done for the year. 

This is what AI said about Scapula Stress reaction. 

A scapular stress reaction is a rare repetitive motion injury to the shoulder blade, or scapula, that can cause bone marrow edema and a noticeable decrease in velocity. Symptoms include:
  • Shoulder pain
  • Stiffness
  • Reduced range of motion, especially when lifting your arm over your head
  • Weakness
  • Grinding or snapping sounds when moving your shoulder
  • Winging of the scapula
  • Drooped or forward tilted posture on the affected side 

The only immediate treatment is to rest and allow the bone time to heal. If left untreated, it could lead to a stress fracture.