The Defense Thread, 2024

Frobby

21 hours ago, KojiSplit said:

Ridiculous defense tonight by Mateo and Gunnar

-Mateo backed up a ball thrown past Mountcastle to get India at 2nd on a perfect throw; India himself was in complete disbelief he was out

-Bottom 6th Stuart Fairchild tried to lead off the inning with a bunt base hit but Means did a great job getting to it and his spin throw got Fairchild out

-Gunnar flew in the air to snag a sharp high liner hit by Encarnacion-Strand (7th inning)

-Then in the 8th with Perez looking real shaky, he was able to get a grounder in which Gunnar turned a beautiful unassisted DP 

Somehow a day later Gunnar’s OOA hasn’t budged despite the leaping play yesterday. I just don’t understand OOA.

On 5/4/2024 at 11:01 PM, KojiSplit said:

Mateo backed up a ball thrown past Mountcastle to get India at 2nd on a perfect throw; India himself was in complete disbelief he was out

This play was that unique confluence of situational awareness, hustle, speed, athleticism, and arm.  Turned an easy advance on an error into an out without a slide.  Mateo is hungry.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

This play was that unique confluence of situational awareness, hustle, speed, athleticism, and arm.  Turned an easy advance on an error into an out without a slide.  Mateo is hungry.

I can see Gunnar and Jorge developing quickly into a scary combination: they're both rapidly growing into their roles and love to be all over the diamond. If Mateo's bat remains decent, will be hard to move him off for Holliday later in the season?

2 hours ago, btdart20 said:

He also made that great play the other day where he covered 1B out of nowhere on the double play. He's locked in right now. 

14 minutes ago, interloper said:

He also made that great play the other day where he covered 1B out of nowhere on the double play. He's locked in right now. 

This was a hell of a play and I felt like it was a little bit glossed over. Very heads up.

I was in Chicago this weekend so I missed the games this weekend and couldn’t find a replay of him getting India. Anyone have a clip?

Posted (edited)

Ugly game today and it’s not over.

1.  Pickoff play at 2B.  If the SS is behind the runner and the runner gets back in time how’s the ball supposed to get to the SS.  Poorly designed or executed.  Runner gets to 3B.

2. McCann gets swinging bunt and rushes throw to third over Urias into LF.  Ruled a foul.  No harm but a bad play.

3. Bases loaded. Urias gets a high hop, makes a bad throw to McCann pulling him  off the plate.  This would cost us 2 runs.

4. Gunnar ranges behind 2B on a fairly routine grounder hit by one of the fastest players in the game in Corbin Carroll and acts like Christian Walker is running , takes his time and Carroll is safe.  This would cost us 4 runs.

Edited by RZNJ

10 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

1.  Pickoff play at 2B.  If the SS is behind the runner and the runner gets back in time how’s the ball supposed to get to the SS.  Poorly designed or executed.  Runner gets to 3B.

2. McCann gets swinging bunt and rushes throw to third over Urias into LF.  Ruled a foul.  No harm but a bad play.

3. Bases loaded. Urias gets a high hop, makes a bad throw to McCann pulling him  off the plate.  This would cost us 2 runs.

4. Adley ranges behind 2B on a fairly routine grounder hit by one of the fastest players in the game in Corbin Carroll and acts like Christian Walker is running , takes his time and Carroll is safe.  This would cost us 4 runs.

What position was Adley playing?

Gunnar did make a nice play on a pop fly there O'Hearn should have caught.

1 minute ago, Aristotelian said:

What position was Adley playing?

Gunnar did make a nice play on a pop fly there O'Hearn should have caught.

Adley is the DH.  O’Hearn wasn’t going to get there.  Whether because he was playing deep or bad jump.

15 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

4. Adley ranges behind 2B on a fairly routine grounder hit by one of the fastest players in the game in Corbin Carroll and acts like Christian Walker is running , takes his time and Carroll is safe.  This would cost us 4 runs.

I agree with you that the team was pretty sloppy defensively today. But those things will happen every once in a while over the course of 162. Before this game we had won 7 of the last 8. So I'm not going to be too hard on the team. Now, if this kind of sloppiness were to repeat itself this week in the series against TOR, I will probably be more concerned.

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

I agree with you that the team was pretty sloppy defensively today. But those things will happen every once in a while over the course of 162. Before this game we had won 7 of the last 8. So I'm not going to be too hard on the team. Now, if this kind of sloppiness were to repeat itself this week in the series against TOR, I will probably be more concerned.

I agree.  It’s the Defense thread.   They had one of their worst defensive games of the year.   Simple as that.

16 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Adley is the DH.  O’Hearn wasn’t going to get there.  Whether because he was playing deep or bad jump.

How does a DH range behind 2B?

Yes, O'Hearn had no chance. What I meant is it is a ball a competent OF should have caught.

I thought McCann had an exceptionally ugly game. Overall, I like McCann. The throw from Urias was terrible and the catcher has no feel for the base, but the throw pulled his foot off the front of plate, not toward first base..

Kremer's last batter, a walk, 2-2 on the batter, just seemed like two bad pitch calls, especially the 3-2 pitch.

The short hop throw to the plate from right field, he seemed to ole it...tough play but not a great effort IMO.

22 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

How does a DH range behind 2B?

Yes, O'Hearn had no chance. What I meant is it is a ball a competent OF should have caught.

Haha.  My error.  I corrected it.  Please tell me you knew I was talking about Gunnar.  Sure, Hays gets to everything.  I forgot.

25 minutes ago, AlbNYfan said:

I thought McCann had an exceptionally ugly game. Overall, I like McCann. The throw from Urias was terrible and the catcher has no feel for the base, but the throw pulled his foot off the front of plate, not toward first base..

Kremer's last batter, a walk, 2-2 on the batter, just seemed like two bad pitch calls, especially the 3-2 pitch.

The short hop throw to the plate from right field, he seemed to ole it...tough play but not a great effort IMO.

IMO, the Urias throw did pull him to the 1B side.  Totally on Urias.

A bit disappointed he couldn’t handle the throw home from Santander.  Not sure they get the runner anyway.  He tried to catch and swipe in one motion.