Coby Mayo 2024

Tony-OH

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Good thing I took my meds.  The whole house rattled for 10 seconds.  First time I ever felt one.   A little scary.

Yeah, I thought I was having a stroke, myself. I wasn't sure if it was real lol.

2 hours ago, Fiver6565 said:

That Homer keeps getting posted and I will never tire of hearing that announcers call of it. LOL

After he said “and that’s a home run” it sounded like he had spicy food and his stomach turned and only had 30 seconds to get to the bathroom. 

Baseball America.  Statcast standouts

Coby Mayo, 3B, Orioles

The primary traits to evaluate prospects in the minors include age relative to level, whiff rates, patience, exit velocities and the ability to elevate the ball. Coby Mayo checks every single one of these boxes. Check out the two graphs below. 

His 109.5 mph 90th percentile exit velocity would place him at the very top end of major league baseball (80-grade power), and he’s doing it while elevating the ball, averaging a 12-degree launch angle (it was higher before dropping a bit on Sunday). He’s also young for the level, giving him lots of time to develop and already elite skill set. Mayo might be a tad overlooked given Norfolk is stacked, but he’s hitting like a top 5-10 prospect in the early going. Jackson Holliday is two years younger, so it’s not an apples-to-apples comparison, but Mayo is hitting the ball much harder than Holliday, with more loft and much less swing and miss.

• Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Baseball America.  Statcast standouts

Coby Mayo, 3B, Orioles

The primary traits to evaluate prospects in the minors include age relative to level, whiff rates, patience, exit velocities and the ability to elevate the ball. Coby Mayo checks every single one of these boxes. Check out the two graphs below. 

His 109.5 mph 90th percentile exit velocity would place him at the very top end of major league baseball (80-grade power), and he’s doing it while elevating the ball, averaging a 12-degree launch angle (it was higher before dropping a bit on Sunday). He’s also young for the level, giving him lots of time to develop and already elite skill set. Mayo might be a tad overlooked given Norfolk is stacked, but he’s hitting like a top 5-10 prospect in the early going. Jackson Holliday is two years younger, so it’s not an apples-to-apples comparison, but Mayo is hitting the ball much harder than Holliday, with more loft and much less swing and miss.

I still don't think some people realize how special Mayo is going to be. He's the impact bat this Orioles lineup needs. He was a bit better the rest of the week at 3B and 1B then he was in the first two games. Still, with Urias not hitting, you have to image they will try and find a spot for him once his extra year of eligibility is gained.

Grant it, he's "only" hit two home runs and two doubles and his 4-15 BB-k ratio in 46 PAs needs to improve, but he's slashing .390/.457/.634/1.091 which for a normal team would be leading the team, but his 1.091 is only 6th on the team among qualifiers. Crazy.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

I still don't think some people realize how special Mayo is going to be. He's the impact bat this Orioles lineup needs. He was a bit better the rest of the week at 3B and 1B then he was in the first two games. Still, with Urias not hitting, you have to image they will try and find a spot for him once his extra year of eligibility is gained.

Grant it, he's "only" hit two home runs and two doubles and his 4-15 BB-k ratio in 46 PAs needs to improve, but he's slashing .390/.457/.634/1.091 which for a normal team would be leading the team, but his 1.091 is only 6th on the team among qualifiers. Crazy.

How good is his defense at 3B? Haven't personally kept up with the glove as much as the offense during Mayo's time in the minors

28 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

How good is his defense at 3B? Haven't personally kept up with the glove as much as the offense during Mayo's time in the minors

Lol. There's been some ebbs and flows with respect to his defense. He looked really shaky the first couple of games this year. I haven't personally heard anything since. We're not looking at Brooks Robinson, but I do think (maybe hope?) he could be an average 3b, 1b or maybe RF.

17 hours ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Last year it looked like he could play the position fine. Great arm, good at moving laterally, especially for someone his size, some trouble coming in on balls. Not going to win a gold glove or anything, but not going to hurt you either. This year, super small sample size, but much less good.

Edited by ChosenOne21

2 hours ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Last year it looked like he could play the position fine. Great arm, good at moving laterally, especially for someone his size, some trouble coming in on balls. Not going to win a gold glove or anything, but not going to hurt you either. This year, super small sample size, but much less good.

I don’t know about the eye test, but his .919 fielding percentage last year was quite poor for the levels he was at.  Now of course I know fielding percentage tells you nothing about range, but I’ve never heard anyone say Mayo has above average range at 3B, either, so that fielding percentage is a red flag that needs cleaning up.  This year?  .824 so far (3 errors), though not in a significant sample size.   Hopefully he gets on track.

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t know about the eye test, but his .919 fielding percentage last year was quite poor for the levels he was at.  Now of course I know fielding percentage tells you nothing about range, but I’ve never heard anyone say Mayo has above average range at 3B, either, so that fielding percentage is a red flag that needs cleaning up.  This year?  .824 so far (3 errors), though not in a significant sample size.   Hopefully he gets on track.

I don't know if he let the pressure get to him defensively, but he has been pretty bad so far at both 3B and even in two games at 1B were not great. 

Two things:

I love good defense, but Mayo brings  to mind Vlad Jr, who’s bad D cancels out a lot of his offensive contributions. Could Mayo just be a full time DH? He can’t supplant Mountcastle/O’Hearn at first, but we gotta make a place for him.

Second, that clip illustrates my main complete with the camera work. Because they cut between cameras after the hit, it is impossible to find and follow the ball. All I can see is the camera rising and falling. Camera replacement above and behind the catcher would make it much easier to  find and track the ball in flight, and the Homerun would be that much more impressive.

Edited by Philip

46 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I don't know if he let the pressure get to him defensively, but he has been pretty bad so far at both 3B and even in two games at 1B were not great. 

Could he be moved to RF?