Coby Mayo 2024

Tony-OH

Like in the quote above from Dykstra, I keep seeing the industry experts saying Mayo is a below avg runner.  Watching him live in person and on TV many times, I’m not seeing it. Fangraphs have him at 50 grade speed though MLB.com has him at 40. 

While he’s obviously no EBJ, for someone who’s 6’ 5” 230lbs, he runs well and pretty fluidly with athletic movement.  He’s not some clumsy clunker that clogs up the base paths and  trips over his feet while playing 3B defensively.  He can go 1st to 3rd on hits you’d expect a base runner to and score from 2nd as well on base knocks. 

I’m betting Dykstra probably had him pinned to 1B for some time now so is probably just sticking to his projection in hopes he’s ultimately proved right. 

1 minute ago, Malike said:

It was high and outside, just missed getting the barrel on it.

Obviously, I was joking but that kid's a monster.  Huge power.  Holliday just got the call.  I hope we see four more Tides in Baltimore this year.

Just now, Ripken said:

Obviously, I was joking but that kid's a monster.  Huge power.  Holliday just got the call.  I hope we see four more Tides in Baltimore this year.

Yeah I knew you were, but the ball was high and outside lol. He's just got crazy power.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Posting this here too

Nice!  It’s interesting timing to post this on the same evening that word leaks out that they’re promoting Holliday.  On the one hand, maybe calling some “official” attention to Mayo makes him feel better that he hasn’t gotten the call-up yet.   They wouldn’t produce a video like this for a player they didn’t think would be in the majors soon.  It certainly feeds the fans’ expectations for him and will only add to the call-up clamor.   

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Nice!  It’s interesting timing to post this on the same evening that word leaks out that they’re promoting Holliday.  On the one hand, maybe calling some “official” attention to Mayo makes him feel better that he hasn’t gotten the call-up yet.   They wouldn’t produce a video like this for a player they didn’t think would be in the majors soon.  It certainly feeds the fans’ expectations for him and will only add to the call-up clamor.   

There’s a good argument to be made that he helps more than Holliday.

The problem is, where do you play him?

I recently saw one of the Verge guys say he knows Mayo would be up for an extension. Not sure how he knows but I know the person who said it and I don’t believe him to be a liar and I know Mayo was on their show, so maybe there is some kind of a relationship that was built.

I actually don’t doubt it either. Just his attitude alone makes me believe it. 

Today's news does move the Next Man Up question to Westburg v. Mayo as the everyday 3B for much of 2024 and the longer term.

Mayo is 8 out of 10 at 3B in the early going, after only being 2/3rds during his Norfolk time at the end of last summer.

If we cannot trust Coby Mayo to defend 3B this fall, I think that's valuable information for Sigbot to ascertain before the trade deadline.

If Mayo can't, he becomes more palatable as perhaps a Jesus Luzardo centerpiece.

15 hours ago, Ripken said:

429?  He must be hiding an injury.

I think it also went 429' in the air.  Looked like a pop up, but the CF just kept going back, back, back, no more room, cleared fence with plenty to spare.  Wild power. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Today's news does move the Next Man Up question to Westburg v. Mayo as the everyday 3B for much of 2024 and the longer term.

Mayo is 8 out of 10 at 3B in the early going, after only being 2/3rds during his Norfolk time at the end of last summer.

If we cannot trust Coby Mayo to defend 3B this fall, I think that's valuable information for Sigbot to ascertain before the trade deadline.

If Mayo can't, he becomes more palatable as perhaps a Jesus Luzardo centerpiece.

I really hope they do not trade him.  I don't think I could bare to see him hitting goliath HRs for another franchise.  I imagine he's just about as untouchable as anyone. 

2 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Disagree. He’s one of the best bats in the organization, regardless of position. He shouldn’t be traded unless you are getting a younger arm with more service time, like a George Kirby for example.

If the Orioles stay fairly healthy this year, I suspect that Mayo will end up with less than 45 days / 130 ABs and be a ROY favorite next year. He comes up earlier if there are injuries or he performs so well in AAA (including defensively at 3B) that they trade Urias, but the absolute latest I imagine is a September callup with the expanded roster to be an extra RH bat down the stretch. 

The bat is ready now but they have the luxury of keeping him in AAA until either they are fully confident in his 3B defense, they need the bat, or he performs so well at the plate that he forces his way up regardless of defense. But if they just need a DH bat from injuries, I suspect Kjerstad and even Stowers are still ahead of Mayo given the emphasis on his 3B development.

I can’t imagine any scenario where the Orioles trade Mayo, even if he looks like he can’t play 3B. After this season they’ll have a much better idea of his 3B defense but regardless he’ll slot into ABs vacated by Santander and O’Hearn. It’d have to be for an immensely valuable pitcher (like Kirby, as SG suggested), and those guys just don’t hit the market as available. He’s more valuable than Luzardo in a 1-1 swap straight up and the Orioles should turn that down. 

6 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

If the Orioles stay fairly healthy this year, I suspect that Mayo will end up with less than 45 days / 130 ABs and be a ROY favorite next year.

He’s more valuable than Luzardo in a 1-1 swap straight up and the Orioles should turn that down. 

I just can't imagine a scenario where both of these things are true.

Mayo will be up, likely by about the All Star break, IMO.