Coby Mayo 2024

Tony-OH

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

If you literally wrote down a wish list of things you’d want to see a player accomplish in AAA before they’d be called up, then Coby Mayo’s 2024 would be your list. 

It’s just a matter of how do we fit him in before rosters expand to 28 in September. 

The Washington Post is making a huge deal today about the Nats’ promotion of James Wood.  Calling it their biggest promotion since Harper.  Here’s how he stacks up with Mayo:

Wood: .353/.463/.595 in 231 PA, 10 HR, 37 RBI
Mayo: .304/.380/.622 in 245 PA, 17 HR, 48 RBI

Wood is 9 months younger and I’d certainly give him the edge, but if Wood is analogous to Harper, then Mayo has to be analogous to at least Anthony Rendon.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The Washington Post is making a huge deal today about the Nats’ promotion of James Wood.  Calling it their biggest promotion since Harper.  Here’s how he stacks up with Mayo:

Wood: .353/.463/.595 in 231 PA, 10 HR, 37 RBI
Mayo: .304/.380/.622 in 245 PA, 17 HR, 48 RBI

Wood is 9 months younger and I’d certainly give him the edge, but if Wood is analogous to Harper, then Mayo has to be analogous to at least Anthony Rendon.

While Wood has been tremendous that’s a huge slap in the face to Soto. As much as I don’t like the guy, I still respect him. While wood has tremendous potential there is still some wait and see for me. 6’7 guys do not always succeed at the plate.

5 hours ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

While Wood has been tremendous that’s a huge slap in the face to Soto. 

I went back to check the wording of the article.   What it said was the "most anticipated" Nats debut since Harper.  That seems plausible.   Soto came along so fast there wasn't much time to anticipate his call-up.   Wood had a very noisy spring training and has been crushing it in AAA.

I know there is a non-zero likelihood of Mayo sucking when he gets called up. But my goodness, if any of this AAA carnage translates into what we can expect, and he's in the middle of this order, Walltimore be damned, lots of opposing pitchers will be considering flu-like symptoms as an alternative to starting that day.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Mayo made his 9th start of the year at 1B last night. Elias is in a bind. He wants Urias’ defense at 3B as a sub if we pinch hit for Mateo in the playoffs, but Mayo is looking like a star. 

Better idea: He uses Mayo as the pinch hitter, Mayo tears the cover off the ball and then he'd have to totally crap the bed defensively to be a net negative on the game outcome.

4 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Better idea: He uses Mayo as the pinch hitter, Mayo tears the cover off the ball and then he'd have to totally crap the bed defensively to be a net negative on the game outcome.

That’s the scenario keeping Urias on this team. Other than just not losing vet players during a playoff run. 

I think we have two options here if we unload Urias now for Mayo,

1. In a playoff series, if Mateo is pinch hit for then Holliday would go in defensively for Mateo at 2B and Westburg at 3B.

2. We acquire a defensive minded vet 3B/2B that is in AAA currently. Heck, maybe it’s a Tony Kemp reunion for that niche roll.

But that niche role/scenario should not be keeping Mayo in the minors any longer. 

Lift Off🚀🚀🚀

26 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

That’s the scenario keeping Urias on this team. Other than just not losing vet players during a playoff run. 

I think we have two options here if we unload Urias now for Mayo,

1. In a playoff series, if Mateo is pinch hit for then Holliday would go in defensively for Mateo at 2B and Westburg at 3B.

2. We acquire a defensive minded vet 3B/2B that is in AAA currently. Heck, maybe it’s a Tony Kemp reunion for that niche roll.

But that niche role/scenario should not be keeping Mayo in the minors any longer. 

Lift Off🚀🚀🚀

Or we don't even start Mateo and instead play Westburg at 2B and Mayo at 3B. If we need defense late, Mateo goes in at 2B and Westburg slides over to 3B. Mateo hasn't looked great at the plate over the past month, and might be turning back into a pumpkin.

3 minutes ago, oh-wee-ohs said:

And Mounty out again today. Wondering if a IL stint is in the near future. Get some reps kid.

He did have an RBI single last night...

From the lineup thread.

Good lineup Bryce Miller has extreme splits in his career .549 OPS vs RHB and .813 OPS vs LHB. 

• Upvote 1