Craig Kimbrel 2024

13 minutes ago, interloper said:

Well at least that's likely to rule him out for returning to the closer's role for the rest of the season, barring him suddenly finding 97 with command.

I would be trying to find a way to IL him. Maybe back soreness. 92 down the middle? No.

You know this won't be enough for Hyde to not keep putting him in high leverage spots.

18 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Tonight everything was either out of the zone or right down broadway. I have no idea what to do with him.

You have to DFA him at this point.   This is a pennant race.  He adds nothing of value.   There’s no situation that he is successful in.   He’s had plenty of opportunities.   He’s taking a roster spot of someone who could potentially help.   He’s got to go.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

You know this won't be enough for Hyde to not keep putting him in high leverage spots.

He hasn't put him in a high leverage spot in weeks. He's been straight up hiding him because clearly they aren't liking what they see behind the scenes. 

But he has to pitch at some point, hence tonight.

Edited by interloper

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Hyde cant hide him especially when most of the pen is overworked and Sosa is horrible too.They wont DFA him but they have no one else right now, so he rains on the roster.If he even has a a 1 run inning tonight...we might've won this game. Hyde has very few options in a paper thin pen...until WEBB comes back, and hopefully Coulombe too...

33 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Hyde cant hide him especially when most of the pen is overworked and Sosa is horrible too.They wont DFA him but they have no one else right now, so he rains on the roster.If he even has a a 1 run inning tonight...we might've won this game. Hyde has very few options in a paper thin pen...until WEBB comes back, and hopefully Coulombe too...

Suarez back to the rotation is a huge factor here. 

This was the first game he really got hit hard, the other games before this were mostly just walks and steals that got him in trouble.  His last 4 outings he has went 4 innings given up 2 hits but walked 5.  The problem is he isn’t getting enough work like he is used to but part of that is we been in lot close games and you can’t trust him in those games.  Right now you have Soto and Kimbrel almost unusable then Baker who is hit or miss.  That leaves you Akin, Smith, and Perez that are decent but not great then two real high end guys.  

21 minutes ago, bleed orange and Black said:

I don't understand why the O's don't just dump kimbrel and bring Tate back up. He definitely can't do any worse. In my opinion Kimbrel has proved he has noting left and is a waste of a BP space. 

Tate the last 7 games has went 9 innings and given up 11 earned runs so yes he could do worse when he can’t even get AAA hitters out.  

10 hours ago, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

I just don’t think he’s the same pitcher for that latter statement. He either needs to gain 2-3 more mph back on the heater or have pin point control. 

Has his velocity dropped since April-June?   

39 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

This was the first game he really got hit hard, the other games before this were mostly just walks and steals that got him in trouble.  His last 4 outings he has went 4 innings given up 2 hits but walked 5.  The problem is he isn’t getting enough work like he is used to but part of that is we been in lot close games and you can’t trust him in those games.  Right now you have Soto and Kimbrel almost unusable then Baker who is hit or miss.  That leaves you Akin, Smith, and Perez that are decent but not great then two real high end guys.  

No, he's been walking guys AND getting lit up. His walks lead to big innings. He throws so many balls that the hitter knows he has to throws strikes and now that he doesn't have the velocity to throw it by anyone anymore, he becomes VERY hittable. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

What was his velocity last night? I seem to remember him earlier in the year sitting 94-95, touching 96

Just did a random check of Statcast games (couldn’t figure out how to do breakouts by month) and he saw quite a bit of 94’s and a few 95’s in June.  More recently seems to be more 92-93 with nothing 94-95.  If someone know how to do better in-season breakouts in Statcast I’d be interested in a more formal breakout.

Edited by btownoriole
  • Thanks 1