Orioles attendance 2024

15 minutes ago, SemperFi said:

Sports Guy-

Isn't attendance becoming more of a  legacy statistic similar to Avg v. OPS? 

It's a very different era than 1965 when there were few suites or "premium" seating and hardly any amenities beyond a beer and hot dog.  Today a seat and it's attachment rate are not comparable between say NY and KC-and we've seen the leverage of corporate sponsorship with TRP. 

In the Warehouse I would think growing attachment rate and corporate partners would at some point have comparable priority as a revenue driver.  Seat sales account only ~20% of revenue and shrinking,  The revenue tilt is upgrading fans/corps. to a premium seat at an average of 4X the price.  

Although this slide is from '22 it details the discrepancy between teams that can leverage premium seating and suites.  Playoff revenue is also likely in this slide which benefits teams like Houston.

There is no real way I have found to judge revenue other than Forbes-just food for thought

I don't think that there's any doubt that the team is probably more focused on deriving attendance-based revenue than just raw attendance.   They'd probably rather draw 2 mm fans at an average of $50/ticket than 2.2 mm fans at an average of $40 per ticket.  At the same time, you don't want to alienate loyal fans.  It's a tricky balance.   And as you say, the only time we see any gate revenue numbers is when Forbes published its annual numbers, and we don't even know where those come from or how accurate they are.  So, we discuss attendance because those numbers are published daily.   

1 hour ago, SemperFi said:

Sports Guy-

Isn't attendance becoming more of a  legacy statistic similar to Avg v. OPS? 

It's a very different era than 1965 when there were few suites or "premium" seating and hardly any amenities beyond a beer and hot dog.  Today a seat and it's attachment rate are not comparable between say NY and KC-and we've seen the leverage of corporate sponsorship with TRP. 

In the Warehouse I would think growing attachment rate and corporate partners would at some point have comparable priority as a revenue driver.  Seat sales account only ~20% of revenue and shrinking,  The revenue tilt is upgrading fans/corps. to a premium seat at an average of 4X the price.  

Although this slide is from '22 it details the discrepancy between teams that can leverage premium seating and suites.  Playoff revenue is also likely in this slide which benefits teams like Houston.

There is no real way I have found to judge revenue other than Forbes-just food for thought.

Gate-as-Percentage-of-Net-Revenue-1.webp.8fe232ebb22e097984e0452b6f06c148.webp

Suites and corporate partnerships have always been a massive part. They need those partnerships, suite sales, etc…always have.

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Saw this on r/Baseball.

Ranking avg attendance and stadium fill rate vs team win percentage

9q08u0iws7pd1.png?width=425&format=png&a

6l0599hws7pd1.png?width=425&format=png&a

Check out the Padres' fill rate.

Anyone else surprised that O's have one of the larger capacities?

The capacity situation is affected by 3 trends, I believes:

-- newer stadiums being built tend to have fewer have fewer seats (and OPACY is now one of the 10 oldest ballparks in the major leagues)

-- stadiummodifications usually result in capacity going down:   for bigger playing field (like Baltimore), or for more club/luxury seating or entertainment areas replacing denser regular seating areas)

-- some teams just deciding never to sell some seats so I guess they no longer count in capacity (like that entire top deck in the outfield in Oakland).   I mean, I'm sure they could FIT way more than 25K humans comfortably in the Trop, they obviously have some seating areas they just bother to print tickets for and sell because they know they'll never sell them, so I guess that doesn't count in capacity.   Now at Oriole Park they only sell the LF upper deck seats these days when a big crowd is expected... but those seats still count towards capacity even in games where they choose not to make them available.

Not only has this team been losing but they are boring to watch as well. Game in and game out of scoring less than 3 runs would cause lack of motivation to attend. Not exciting to go to games where it seems like they are losing games like 6-2. Outside of Colorado and Chicago when is the last time this team even won a series. it's been so long I honestly forgot. 

9 minutes ago, Baseball fandom said:

Not only has this team been losing but they are boring to watch as well. Game in and game out of scoring less than 3 runs would cause lack of motivation to attend. Not exciting to go to games where it seems like they are losing games like 6-2. Outside of Colorado and Chicago when is the last time this team even won a series. it's been so long I honestly forgot. 

July 29th-31st against Toronto.

13 hours ago, O's84 said:

July 29th-31st against Toronto.

Incorrect.  We beat the Rays in a series in August.  August 9th - 11th.

Obviously we beat Colorado and CWS as well, but they were excluded from the numbers to make things sound more dramatic I guess.

1 minute ago, Aglets said:

Incorrect.  We beat the Rays in a series in August.  August 9th - 11th.

Obviously we beat Colorado and CWS as well, but they were excluded from the numbers to make things sound more dramatic I guess.

Oops, I overlooked that (medication side effects).  Well I guess that's a little better but man it still points to how bad we've been playing.  Hopefully we turn it around soon and we'd better, because there is not much of the season left.