Cedric Mullins 2024

DirtyBird

5 minutes ago, ledzepp8 said:

I have a hard time calling that a blunder. A mistake? Yes. I don't think anyone thought he had a chance at catching that and with the sun, Cedric probably couldn't even tell it didn't get down. Just a series where the Orioles couldn't catch a break. Bradish is dealing and the game gets suspended. Get out to a nice lead today and the game gets delayed again and Irvin can't get the job done (although he wasn't helped by the defense).

No more excuses for Mullins this year. He is having an awful year 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ledzepp8 said:

I have a hard time calling that a blunder. A mistake? Yes. I don't think anyone thought he had a chance at catching that and with the sun, Cedric probably couldn't even tell it didn't get down. Just a series where the Orioles couldn't catch a break. Bradish is dealing and the game gets suspended. Get out to a nice lead today and the game gets delayed again and Irvin can't get the job done (although he wasn't helped by the defense).

It is indefensible. The ball was hit so hard and the fielder was right on top of it. Even if it drops, it is unlikely he is sent with the risk of making the 1st out at home, with a run already in. 
Just incredibly stupid.

• Upvote 1

Just now, RZNJ said:

I was going to give him a break but, no, it’s a blunder.   If he goes 1/2 or 2/3 he gets back to 1B.   If the ball isn’t caught it’s 2nd and 3rd with no outs and the top of the order coming up.  It’s a blunder.

Yeah I'm probably giving him too much slack. It was just kind of a fluke catch. The ball was a rocket.

5 minutes ago, ledzepp8 said:

If Mullins waits to make sure the ball gets down, worst case scenario is he has to stop at third with no outs and Gunnar Henderson due up. I like those odds, so I say blunder.

Just now, DirtyBird said:

It is indefensible. The ball was hit so hard and the fielder was right on top of it. Even if it drops, it is unlikely he is sent with the risk of making the 1st out at home, with a run already in. 
Just incredibly stupid.

You think if Nootbaar doesn't catch that ball, that Mullins doesn't score? I think he almost definitely scores.

Blunder.    If he waits and it’s over his head, he scores anyway as he is fast.    I swear he looked RIGHT at the outfielder then for some reason TOOK off for 3rd.      I’m sorry Cedric.   It’s time… 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Keygans said:

Blunder.    If he waits and it’s over his head, he scores anyway as he is fast.    I swear he looked RIGHT at the outfielder then for some reason TOOK off for 3rd.      I’m sorry Cedric.   It’s time… 

Sorry, but if Mullins holds at about even 2/3 to 2B he’s not scoring unless Nootbar mishandles the ball or it caroms away from him.   

4 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

Yep, that's an inexcusable, amateur mistake with the game on the line. 

It's not a good example for Hyde and Elias to be setting to let veterans make mistakes and also hit so poorly for so long, while guys like Kjerstad, Stowers, and Norby (and Westburg and Cowser last season) get no such opportunities to play regularly and make mistakes/struggle. 

I agree that Mullins is probably just about out of a starting job (and he should be) but I don't think you're going to find too many GMs and managers that will just bench veteran starters that just helped a team win 101 games and the division the year before.

Just now, ledzepp8 said:

You think if Nootbaar doesn't catch that ball, that Mullins doesn't score? I think he almost definitely scores.

Depends on what the ball does off the wall. If he plays it clean, Mullins gets held at 3rd, given the game situation.

• Upvote 1

I think Mullins instincts off that batted ball tells him that is at least a base hit.  He is thinking about scoring to tie the game.  I don’t think it is so terrible as everyone else seems here.  If Mullins was hitting 290 I think more people might see it differently.  Whether or not they keep giving him chances won’t rely on his choice on that one play.  

5 minutes ago, accinfo said:

I think Mullins instincts off that batted ball tells him that is at least a base hit.  He is thinking about scoring to tie the game.  I don’t think it is so terrible as everyone else seems here.  If Mullins was hitting 290 I think more people might see it differently.  Whether or not they keep giving him chances won’t rely on his choice on that one play.  

No, his instincts were to hold up at first.  He didn’t just start running immediately. He completely misjudged it.  It was a bad baseball play whether you are hitting 170 or 370.

• Upvote 1