Austin Hays 2024

ShoelesJoe

22 hours ago, casadeozo said:

Ive said it before but it bears repeating. For all the praise we heap on Elias for being brilliant I've yet to see any explantation for the unwillingness to move on from players. It's almost his kryptonite.  I know some will point service time manipulation but I dont think thats an explanation for Connor Corby in his 3rd year at AAA. 

Asking this genuinely. Is the plan to have Mullins and Hays stayy through the end of 2025? Then start to give playing time to the prospects?

It’s universally true that a large subset of fans are always ready to jettison an established player for a shiny new player with good MiL numbers, and will react the minute the established player has a few bad games.   But no MLB GM operates that way.  Real GMs give their established players adequate time to work out if their slumps, don’t assume that the MiL player’s numbers in AAA will translate to the majors, and also look at pesky things like defense and consider the effects on other players in the clubhouse.   That’s just the way it is.  I’ve watched baseball for 58 years and this is an evergreen conversation we’ve had dozens of times around here.  Managers and GMs don’t want their players looking over their shoulder every time they have a bad week or even a bad month.   That’s no way to run a clubhouse.  Slumps are part of the game and you have to give players a fair opportunity to play their way out of them.  

That’s not saying they get forever.  But they get a LOT more than 10 games to return to their normal levels.  

I think it’s also clear that Elias believes that there are certain things minor league players need to accomplish before they get called up, even if those players might already be better than the players they’ll be replacing.   I have zero doubt that Jackson Holliday is ready to outhit Tony Kemp, and might even be so much better offensively that it would make up for defensive deficiencies.  But Holliday needs to work on his defense and Elias believes that’s best done in the minors right now, not on a stage where every miscue will be under a public microscope and could impact games that are actually meaningful.  So, we’ll wait.  

You may see that as a blind spot.  I don’t.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s universally true that a large subset of fans are always ready to jettison an established player for a shiny new player with good MiL numbers, and will react the minute the established player has a few bad games.   But no MLB GM operates that way.  Real GMs give their established players adequate time to work out if their slumps, don’t assume that the MiL player’s numbers in AAA will translate to the majors, and also look at pesky things like defense and consider the effects on other players in the clubhouse.   That’s just the way it is.  I’ve watched baseball for 58 years and this is an evergreen conversation we’ve had dozens of times around here.  Managers and GMs don’t want their players looking over their shoulder every time they have a bad week or even a bad month.   That’s no way to run a clubhouse.  Slumps are part of the game and you have to give players a fair opportunity to play their way out of them.  

That’s not saying they get forever.  But they get a LOT more than 10 games to return to their normal levels.  

I think it’s also clear that Elias believes that there are certain things minor league players need to accomplish before they get called up, even if those players might already be better than the players they’ll be replacing.   I have zero doubt that Jackson Holliday is ready to outhit Tony Kemp, and might even be so much better offensively that it would make up for defensive deficiencies.  But Holliday needs to work on his defense and Elias believes that’s best done in the minors right now, not on a stage where every miscue will be under a public microscope and could impact games that are actually meaningful.  So, we’ll wait.  

Fair point. That said my point was less about Holliday and more Kjerstad and Norby and Stowers for that matter.

i dont think ANYONE would dispute they had mastered AAA last year so why are they still in the minors while Kemp and Urias are taking up roster spots.

again not saying. They are not major leaguers. Just certainly not what we expected to see based on having the kind of talent we have idling in in aaa

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

But Hays isn't just 10 games. It's the second half of last season and spring training 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The thesis of my post was to say is there another example of a GM having logjam in AAA and choosing to do nothing to clear it and instead add veterans (Tony kemp)

say what you will. It’s certainly not a strategy I’ve seen before

• Upvote 1

Just now, casadeozo said:

The thesis of my post was to say is there another example of a GM having logjam in AAA and choosing to do nothing to clear it and instead add veterans (Tony kemp)

say what you will. It’s certainly not a strategy I’ve seen before

Since the reserve clause went away?

Back in the day lots of teams would stash guys.

1.  I actually preferred having O’Hearn facing a tough LHP than PH Austin Hays for him.

2. Hays hit the first pitch on the nose AND didn’t try to pull it.  Hallelujah!   I can’t believe the CF was shaded to RC on that and made an easy catch of it.  

3.  I hope Cowser gets most, if not all, starts against RHP but even only one AB was somewhat encouraging regarding Hays.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Winter said:

Hays is going to make a decent 4th OFer

Hays in the McKenna role from last year is a reflection of the serious talent this team already has, with more premium talent on the way.

Hays is a good dude and I appreciate his career as an Oriole, but he, Urias, and Mateo need to be Wally Pipped. Cowser is an everyday player, even against lefties.

3 hours ago, Brooks The Great said:

Hays in the McKenna role from last year is a reflection of the serious talent this team already has, with more premium talent on the way.

Hays is a good dude and I appreciate his career as an Oriole, but he, Urias, and Mateo need to be Wally Pipped. Cowser is an everyday player, even against lefties.

With the makeup of the outfield, Hays is the perfect supplement as a 4th OF that plays a touch more than one. My guess is he plays LF tonight with Cowser sliding to RF. And I bet he makes a positive impact. Rising tides lift all boats.

23 minutes ago, IPlayGM said:

With the makeup of the outfield, Hays is the perfect supplement as a 4th OF that plays a touch more than one. My guess is he plays LF tonight with Cowser sliding to RF. And I bet he makes a positive impact. Rising tides lift all boats.

Agree except swap the positions. 

4 hours ago, Brooks The Great said:

How do guys who don’t play get Wally Pipped?