Colton Cowser 2024

We don’t want Cowser starting center field more than a short IL stint. I stated this before but looking around the league there are not many good center fielders. I saw CF as one of few positions we may not have the future player in the organization. So I looked around and did not like what I saw. 

42 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I don't think you can describe anyone who's still in A ball with 133 career pro PAs at age 22 as having a floor of three wins a season. At this point it's an open question as to whether he tops three wins in any MLB season.

If you look for comparable players, say .310-.330 OBP, little power, plus-plus basestealing and CF defense, I think the archetype in recent baseball is Michael Bourn. Who did top out with some really good 5-6 win seasons, but tailed off quickly and only had 5-6 seasons as an above-average regular.

Beyond him you're looking at guys like Jarrod Dyson, Dee Strange-Gordon, Ben Revere. But only a handful of years each as average to average-plus MLB regulars. And then lots and lots of players who didn't even reach that kind of level.

I think we have a few years before we figure out where on that spectrum Bradfield falls.

All those guys played during "the shift" era. In a post shift era where speed, athleticism, and base stealing are more valued, a skill set like Bradfield's can be very valuable.

He's gotten up to Qualified status for the very early 2024 Outs Above Average returns and if you sort by the Success Rate Added stat, it thinks he is 1st of 102 MLB outfielders year to date.

Other O's on that sort - Mullins 13th, Santander 52nd, Hays 97th.

It's funny how some of you trust Elias completely and have what amounts to total faith in him. But when it comes to Bradfield, you don't trust his evaluation and the org's development prowess for position players.

5 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Dammit, are you kidding?

Gotta hear Kevin Brown reminding us every 30 seconds that DL Hall is facing a former teammate?  I was picturing him tonight in a straightjacket because he couldn't point out to the audience about how he was facing guys he played in the minors with.  

You can also endure it on Sunday afternoon when Kevin Brown reminds us that Corbin Burnes is facing his former Brewer teammates.  😆

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Dammit, are you kidding?

Gotta hear Kevin Brown reminding us every 30 seconds that DL Hall is facing a former teammate?  I was picturing him tonight in a straightjacket because he couldn't point out to the audience about how he was facing guys he played in the minors with.  

Were you ok when KevBo was like "no hit for Holliday BUT HE WILL GET TO RUN THE BASES FOR THE FIRST TIME IN THE BIG LEAGUES"? Because I definitely thought of you there. 

Edited by interloper

13 minutes ago, Malike said:

Sprint speed doesn't equal being good in CF. Mullins has great instincts and gets really good jumps on balls. 

Per Statcast, his jumps last year were slightly below average (-0.2 feet in the first 3 seconds).   Not enough data yet this year.   

Still they had him at 6 OAA last year and 1 OAA this year.   

Just now, Frobby said:

Per Statcast, his jumps last year were slightly below average (-0.2 feet in the first 3 seconds).   Not enough data yet this year.   

Still they had him at 6 OAA last year and 1 OAA this year.   

Yeah, I'm not sure if he was nursing his groin or whatever, but he has excellent instincts out there and he isn't afraid to lay out or make plays at/over the wall with good success.

54 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Name Year 0ft 5ft 10ft 15ft 20ft 25ft 30ft 35ft 40ft 45ft 50ft 55ft 60ft 65ft 70ft 75ft 80ft 85ft 90ft
Cowser, Colton - LHB 2023 0.00 0.53 0.82 1.08 1.31 1.52 1.72 1.92 2.11 2.30 2.48 2.66 2.83 3.01 3.18 3.36 3.53 3.72 3.91
Mullins, Cedric - LHB 2023 0.00 0.54 0.84 1.09 1.32 1.53 1.73 1.93 2.12 2.30 2.48 2.66 2.83 3.00 3.18 3.35 3.52 3.71 3.90

Colton Cowser Stats: Statcast, Visuals & Advanced Metrics | baseballsavant.com (mlb.com)

Thats cool. I think I have to give the edge to Mullins defending right now. Cowser's a huge guy for CF too, listed at 220 lbs on Bbref, but if Judge can do it...

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Corny. But not cringe.  It’s obvious that he has these phrases ready to go and can’t wait to use them. 

I actually didnt like the call. I think he goes over the top in his corniness at times. So he could tone it down alot. I prefer Thorne.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Corny. But not cringe.  It’s obvious that he has these phrases ready to go and can’t wait to use them. 

Where does "The Orioles have turned Isaiah Campbell into SOUP" rate for you? 

• Haha 1