James McCann 2024

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

McCann is 33 years old and currently batting .196 / .202 / .283. Normally those numbers wouldn't be that big a deal for a glove first back-up catcher, but because of how often Adley is at DH McCann is projected to get around 240 ABs this season. I did a very quick spot check of Oriole back-up catchers over the last 10-15 years and couldn't find any that collectively had that many ABs in a season. If nothing changes that's going to be a lot of games where we'll have a complete black hole in the line-up at C.

The immediate replacement for McCann would be 26 year old Maverick Handley who's batting .239 / .349 / .729 at Norfolk. That's nothing special, but at least he appears to know how to take a walk now and then. I have no idea what Handley's reputation is defensively. Everybody's talking about trading for pitching at the deadline, but I wonder if adding a back-up catcher who can hit might be just as important as grabbing an arm or two. 

8 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

McCann is 33 years old and currently batting .196 / .202 / .283. Normally those numbers wouldn't be that big a deal for a glove first back-up catcher, but because of how often Adley is at DH McCann is projected to get around 240 ABs this season. I did a very quick spot check of Oriole back-up catchers over the last 10-15 years and couldn't find any that collectively had that many ABs in a season. If nothing changes that's going to be a lot of games where we'll have a complete black hole in the line-up at C.

The immediate replacement for McCann would be 26 year old Maverick Handley who's batting .239 / .349 / .729 at Norfolk. That's nothing special, but at least he appears to know how to take a walk now and then. I have no idea what Handley's reputation is defensively. Everybody's talking about trading for pitching at the deadline, but I wonder if adding a back-up catcher who can hit might be just as important as grabbing an arm or two. 

Offense is down. McCann is going nowhere. Handley isn’t close to as good at the moment 

3 hours ago, baltfan said:

Offense is down. McCann is going nowhere. Handley isn’t close to as good at the moment 

Yes, offense is down. But it's not down so much that an OPS+ of 41 is anything but horrific. The last time we had a back-up catcher this bad offensively was Chance Sisco in 2021, and he got DFA'd 60 ABs into the season. If Sisco wasn't good enough for a 110 loss team back then why is McCann good enough for a team that has World Series aspirations right now? 

While I agree that Handley isn't certain to be an upgrade there has to be back-up catchers available who would be. 

• Upvote 1

Big game for McCann last night. Overall, his ability to stay healthy the last two years has been an asset. It’s allowed the team to typically not have a 3rd catcher on the 40 man roster. 

He’s our best bunter too, even though he had that failed suicide squeeze. 

You need guys like McCann, Urias, and Mateo, to get through 162. There’s no defensive let down when those guys play. Trusted. 

On 6/8/2024 at 4:06 PM, ShoelesJoe said:

OPS now up to .551, 2 or 3 more good games could be right back to last year average. Hayes and Urias are 2 vets that snapped out of it recently, maybe McCaan is next, not worried about McCaan, Cedric's the one I'm starting to get anxious over.

17 minutes ago, interloper said:

McCann is quite literally the definition of a "guy who can run into one". I don't see this game as any indication of good things to come. Just a blind squirrel game.

Better than a dead squirrel game.

• Like 1

The team has a .654 winning percentage with McCann behind the dish.  So long as they continue winning at a high clip when he catches, I don’t think there will be any pressure whatsoever to make a change.  He’s very obviously highly respected in the clubhouse and trusted by the pitchers.  Kyle Gibson, in an interview given after leaving the team, said that McCann had helped Adley immeasurably and would continue to do so.   So, nothing to see here so far as I’m concerned.  I do hate his swing though.  

• Upvote 3

The Astros went to 7 straight LCS with the very light hitting Martin Maldonado as their main catcher (let alone as a backup). Upgrading the backup C position is literally the least important thing the FO could do, and it’s not even in the same stratosphere as upgrading the bullpen from an importance standpoint. 

41 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

The Astros went to 7 straight LCS with the very light hitting Martin Maldonado as their main catcher (let alone as a backup). Upgrading the backup C position is literally the least important thing the FO could do, and it’s not even in the same stratosphere as upgrading the bullpen from an importance standpoint. 

Agreed. And the backup catcher will make zero difference in the playoffs. He did not make any starts last year and I don't expect him to make any this year.

• 2 months later...