Questions that need to be answered during the 2024 season

wildcard

The O's probably have the talent at the majors and AAA to win championship titles.  A transition looks like it will happen gradually.

Hays, Mullins, Santander, O'Hearn, Urias and Mateo all potentially may not be on the team in 2025.   Holliday, Kjerstad, Stowers, Mayo and Norby potentially get promoted to the O's at some point in 2024.

The questions I see are:

Can Cowser be an  everyday centerfield defensively?

Are Stowers and Norby capable defender  in left and/or right field?

Can Kjerstad be a everyday right fielder defensively and hit as a DH?

Can Westburg play an above average 3rd base defensively?

Can Mayo play an average defensive 3rd base and when will that happen.  

For most of these players their offense is ahead of their defense.

What do the O's have in Bradish and Means?   Are they capable starters in May?  June?  

How many starts will the O's get from Wells?

Are Povich, McDermott and/or Seth Johnson ready for the majors in the 2nd half of 2024?

The O's probably have all of 2024 to answer these questions.  One at a time. Gradually.

That is the way I see it.  What do you think?

Edited by wildcard

1 hour ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Can we give adjustment period time to players that come up and struggle vs MLB pitching at first while we are in a championship chase(

What choice do we have?  We only have 3 options.  1) bring them up to adjust during this year's championship chase.   2) bring them up to adjust during next year's (or a future years) championship chase.   3) they never get a chance with the Orioles and are traded or age out of the system because there is never a convenient time for them to have an adjustment period time.  

We are a team playing for playoffs and championships now.   There is never going to be a 'good' time to have the kids go through an adjustment period.  I personally think the adjustment period is way over blown as not all players really go through one,  but we here at the OH seem to assume that all rookies are going to struggle and have to be carried for at least a bit, and that isn't necessarily true.   Some may,  some probably won't.  

Edited by forphase1
Spelling

Will the Orioles win the World Series this year?   That’s the question I want answered in the affirmative in 2024.   

I think we don’t have room for all the prospects you mentioned, even if all their defensive questions work out positively.   But i agree that we need those questions answered.  

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Will the Orioles win the World Series this year?   That’s the question I want answered in the affirmative in 2024.   

I think we don’t have room for all the prospects you mentioned, even if all their defensive questions work out positively.   But i agree that we need those questions answered.  

I like the way you think 😉. Will Elias purge the roster of the middling guys like Mateo, Urias, Hays, Mountcastle ETC?

1 hour ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Can we give adjustment period time to players that come up and struggle vs MLB pitching at first while we are in a championship chase(

Last year we won 100 games with Mateo the worst qualified hitter in baseball after April, with Gunnar hitting about .200 through May, and hays slumping badly down the stretch. Yes, we had to win a lot of one run games and relied on the bullpen, but we absolutely can manage letting players take their lumps and take time tog at adjusted as long as the rotation can hold up and it’s only one or two at a time. Probably part of the reason they want to stagger promotions. 

Great post. There is room for all the prospects you mentioned. I think over the course of this season and next, they should come up- if nothing else to showcase for other teams at the major league level. The only one I would consider keeping long term is Santander, which I don’t think they will do. 
Would also be nice to see Rubinstein open the wallet and sign a starter (like Burnes). Fingers crossed that Bradish and Means can come back healthy. 

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I doubt that every prospect is going to be a great major league player.

Cowser had a rough time in the majors last year but right now he looks like he is hitting better that Hays or Mullins.   If he keep hitting he will probably play regularly between the three outfield positions.

Meanwhile Westburg has shown be to a very good defensive 2nd baseman but he is not hitting to the level he required to hold down a starting job in the majors.   I think he is still in his adjustment period offensively.   The O's seem committed to giving him the playing time to develop as a major league hitter.

Each prospect will be different in their development.  And some may not make it to  an acceptable level to stay on a world championship team for the O's.

13 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I like the way you think 😉. Will Elias purge the roster of the middling guys like Mateo, Urias, Hays, Mountcastle ETC?

I am not sure Mountcastle belongs on that list.   He is playing the heck out of 1st base defensively and he looks good at he plate.

• Upvote 1

I think we’ll need to trade for another Burnes like pitcher next winter.   Or sign one but even with new ownership I think that’s doubtful.  I think Cowser is the future LF if he hits.   Holliday is the 2B.   Westburg is the most likely choice for 3B.  That leaves Stowers/Mayo/Kerstad/Basallo as leading candidates for RF and 1B.  I’ve got my money on Basallo at 1B.

As far as CF, it’s just a question if Bradfield, Etzel, or Tavera are ready by OD 2026.   We should have a better idea by September.

9 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I am not sure Mountcastle belongs on that list.   He is playing the heck out of 1st base defensively and he looks good at he plate.

His lows are too low for me considering the guys we have that need a place to play. I think Mayo & Kjerstad end up being as good as or better players with higher OBPs.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

I think we’ll need to trade for another Burnes like pitcher next winter.   Or sign one but even with new ownership I think that’s doubtful.  I think Cowser is the future LF if he hits.   Holliday is the 2B.   Westburg is the most likely choice for 3B.  That leaves Stowers/Mayo/Kerstad/Basallo as leading candidates for RF and 1B.  I’ve got my money on Basallo at 1B.

As far as CF, it’s just a question if Bradfield, Etzel, or Tavera are ready by OD 2026.   We should have a better idea by September.

I think we should try to extend Burnes now. I’m hopeful he likes it here and sees the long competitive window.

3 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

His lows are too low for me considering the guys we have that need a place to play. I think Mayo & Kjerstad end up being as good as or better players with higher OBPs.

Defense matters and Mounty’s defense at first is gnarly to watch. Heston and Mayo would have to develop incredibly fast defensively for them to get their shot. The bat is obviously there for both, but you can lose more games with the glove than you can win with the bat.

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I think we should try to extend Burnes now. I’m hopeful he likes it here and sees the long competitive window.

Doubtful that he would.   He’s going to be a FA.   Accept it.

1 minute ago, Explosivo said:

Defense matters and Mounty’s defense at first is gnarly to watch. Heston and Mayo would have to develop incredibly fast defensively for them to get their shot. The bat is obviously there for both, but you can lose more games with the glove than you can win with the bat.

Try and convince the Tides of that.

You can give up 10 runs and lose, you can't win if you don't score.