Brandon Hyde 2024

27 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

He isn’t letting Grayson coming off a shoulder issue throw a bunch of pitches. I’m sure they had a number in mind before the game.  

He also labored in the 6th. 25 pitches. Can’t put the blame on Hyde for this one. 

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

For who? They wanted Stowers for the lefty bat instead of Mateo. Then you had Gunnar and switch hitters/lefty O’Hearn after. 

Where’s Mounty pinch hit?

He was going to hit for Mateo. He was in the on deck circle. And yes I know the splits I mentioned. 

6 minutes ago, dystopia said:

He also labored in the 6th. 25 pitches. Can’t put the blame on Hyde for this one. 

There wasn’t a doubt in my mind that Rodriguez wasn’t returning for the 7th.  

9 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'd be singing a different tune if he were making some loud outs, if he'd been robbed of a few hits...but man, he just can't do anything at the plate.  Like, that batting average really resembles just how bad he's been.

Yeah but at least he got a quiet hit this game his first of the year. I know there was a shift in 2020 and he was four years younger and this entire board had left him for dead as prospect, but the quiet hit was a big part of what kick started his career. Just saying.

You're not going to win them all. There were a couple of nice AB's by the Seattle players. Seattle also benefitted by a couple plays by O'Hearn at 1st. One, a soft ground ball to his right fielded by Mateo (it seemed playable for O'Hearn), not sure if Rodriquez would have made it to the bag. It did not cost a run. The second, a bounce throw by Henderson, that he missed (I think Mountcastle would have made) that led to a 2 run inning. Mountcastle can't play everyday, but not a big fan of him at 1st. 

3 minutes ago, AlbNYfan said:

You're not going to win them all. There were a couple of nice AB's by the Seattle players. Seattle also benefitted by a couple plays by O'Hearn at 1st. One, a soft ground ball to his right fielded by Mateo (it seemed playable for O'Hearn), not sure if Rodriquez would have made it to the bag. It did not cost a run. The second, a bounce throw by Henderson, that he missed (I think Mountcastle would have made) that led to a 2 run inning. Mountcastle can't play everyday, but not a big fan of him at 1st. 

That non-pick on the Henderson throw was pretty weak sauce.  The throw was right on line with the bag.  

The O's need to find a way to fix their bullpen like last year.  They are hurting our starters who are pitching superb and to only have the bullpen blow it for them. It can destroy our starters confidence.  Our bullpen blew 4 leads and allowed a close game get out of hand since May 8th.  We need to urgently do something or reaching 1st place may become impossible. Every day Elias waits the harder it will get. The Yankees are now unbeatable. They found an ace by trading a guy the O's released Nick Cave to the Twins for Luis Gil who is unhittable and he shut us out.  When they get Cole back they will be better than now.  We can not afford to blow leads that our starters pitched so well. The Yankees have a solid bullpen. Their guy Stanton is hitting the way he did on the Marlins. 

9 minutes ago, AlbNYfan said:

We have to keep up with our competition the Yankees.

2 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

The O's need to find a way to fix their bullpen like last year.  They are hurting our starters who are pitching superb and to only have the bullpen blow it for them. 

Our bullpen had a 1.97 ERA in May before last night.  Their ERA on the season is now 3.34, 7th best in MLB.  They have an 11-6 record.   I’m not saying the bullpen doesn’t have flaws, but please have some perspective.  

9 minutes ago, AlbNYfan said:

You're not going to win them all. 

That’s right. 

But there’s that old adage that gets attributed to different people throughout baseball history with different numbers; every team wins 40 games and loses 40 games, it’s what you do with the remaining 82 that counts. Or 60/60 remaining 42. 

But the point stands. There are games where you’re just out of it from the early innings and you get beat. There are games where you coast to a win, having jumped out to a big lead and the other team never fights back. 

But the there are the games you could have won, maybe even should have won and you didn’t.  Last night was certainly one of those games. 

That’s kind of how I view a season, I get less worked up about blowout losses and more upset about losses that could have gone our way. 

I’ve always wanted to do some sort of a tracker about that, how many games in a season come down to losses that could’ve gone our way had we not blown a lead, perhaps done something different with a bullpen/pinch hit move, someone made an error, etc. But I’m too lazy. 

1 hour ago, oriolediehard said:

I said that NY would be the main competition in the East before the season began and I'm not changing my mind on that. However, the O's have had a bunch of injuries and missed games and they've been able to stay right there with them. Aaron Judge averages 100 games a season over his career. They have, and are heavily reliant on players where age is not on their side. There's still 119 games to go and my money is on the youth and talent in Baltimore.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

I said that NY would be the main competition in the East before the season began and I'm not changing my mind on that. However, the O's have had a bunch of injuries and missed games and they've been able to stay right there with them. Aaron Judge averages 100 games a season over his career. They have, and are heavily reliant on players where age is not on their side. There's still 119 games to go and my money is on the youth and talent in Baltimore.

He's played in 882 games over nine seasons.

He played in 27 games in 2016 (93 in the minors), retaining rookie status.  The 2020 season was only 60 games.

His lowest games played in a full season is 106.

Edited by Can_of_corn

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He's played in 882 games over nine seasons.

He played in 27 games in 2016, retaining rookie status.  The 2020 season was only 60 games.

His lowest games played in a full season is 106.

The Yankees may have a lot of injuries, or they may not.  They won 99 games in 2022, and are capable of winning that many or more.  

I’m just concerning myself with the Orioles right now.  

2 hours ago, oriolediehard said:

The Yankees are playing the White Sox, it's going to be hard to keep up with them this weekend.