Brandon Hyde 2024

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

2 walks and a hard hit in 5 batters is good? 

If Baker gets out of it, they would not start the next inning with Akin facing the lefty masher Garver. Akin would probably sit down at that point and they would go to Webb or Tate. 

I didn't say he was good. 

I don't trust Akin with runners on. And certainly not in high leverage situations. The numbers show that as much. His numbers against lefties don't matter if he melts down when runners are on. 

If they were that worried about a lefty masher Garver and know how bad Akin can be in these types of situations, then why put him in with Garver on deck? 

I guess, to me, I leave Baker in. If he gets out of it, then Akin can sit down or if he comes in...pitch around Garver. The hitters after him aren't exactly Murderer's Row. Look at how he performed with nobody on vs. runners on (bases clearing double, 2 run homer)

2 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

I didn't say he was good. 

I don't trust Akin with runners on. And certainly not in high leverage situations. The numbers show that as much. His numbers against lefties don't matter if he melts down when runners are on. 

If they were that worried about a lefty masher Garver and know how bad Akin can be in these types of situations, then why put him in with Garver on deck? 

I guess, to me, I leave Baker in. If he gets out of it, then Akin can sit down or if he comes in...pitch around Garver. The hitters after him aren't exactly Murderer's Row. Look at how he performed with nobody on vs. runners on (bases clearing double, 2 run homer)

I was confused why you said two walks and a hard hit, and then argued Baker would have been a better decision. 

If Akin gets Crawford, he does not have to start the next inning. If we had then gotten the lead, I would guess Hyde would go to Webb-Cano. 

Again, I'm not saying Akin was a good option, only that on paper Baker was not an obviously better one.

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I was confused why you said two walks and a hard hit, and then argued Baker would have been a better decision. 

If Akin gets Crawford, he does not have to start the next inning. If we had then gotten the lead, I would guess Hyde would go to Webb-Cano. 

Again, I'm not saying Akin was a good option, only that on paper Baker was not an obviously better one.

I'm going to somebody other than Akin. 

Perez wasn't available since he pitched in back to back games. Same goes for Kimbrel. 

I generally like Cano when he hasn't had a ton of rest which hurts sinkerballers, so he'd be a decent option. 

In order of preference there:

• Webb
  • Cano
  • Let Baker finish it out
  • Akin 
  • Tate

I reckon Hyde had that Showalter in him and was hoping to use Webb in the 9th. But I'm really opposed to just slotting guys into innings and more about putting them in based on effectiveness and situation. High leverage is really going against guys like Akin. 

31 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

The last column is the number of runners inherited. Those are not the number of runners the RP allowed to score. 

Akin has inherited 24 runners, 8 have scored. Coming into yesterday he was at 21/5.  

The last column is IRS, which means “inherited runners scored” 

Inherited runners would be IR and I am surprised that I didn’t see it anywhere in that column.

This particular site has a different set of initials, IRS means inherited runners scored.

I don’t think that can possibly be correct, because that would be a huge number.

1 minute ago, Philip said:

The last column is IRS, which means “inherited runners scored” 

Inherited runners would be IR and I am surprised that I didn’t see it anywhere in that column.

This particular site has a different set of initials, IRS means inherited runners scored.

I don’t think that can possibly be correct, because that would be a huge number.

Right. It’s a screwup on their part. 

1 hour ago, LookitsPuck said:

This is where I was at. One hard hit ball, 2 walks. And that hard hit ball was to Julio. Yeah, Baker could have just as easily walked in a run, but I'm not sending in somebody new with a really poor history with runners on to face a guy with reverse splits (this year). As you said, Akin is anything but nails. Let him start the next inning.

I like Akin a little bit to start a fresh inning.  I know he gets dumped on here a lot and I can see why.  But he's striking out 10k/9 this year.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

I'm going to somebody other than Akin. 

Perez wasn't available since he pitched in back to back games. Same goes for Kimbrel. 

I generally like Cano when he hasn't had a ton of rest which hurts sinkerballers, so he'd be a decent option. 

In order of preference there:

• Webb
  • Cano
  • Let Baker finish it out
  • Akin 
  • Tate

I reckon Hyde had that Showalter in him and was hoping to use Webb in the 9th. But I'm really opposed to just slotting guys into innings and more about putting them in based on effectiveness and situation. High leverage is really going against guys like Akin. 

OK, up to this point in the thread, all the Hyde bashers have been saying "leave Baker in" was obviously the better move over Akin. That is the only thing I'm taking issue with. 

As for why it was Akin, I don't love it but I'm guessing the thought process was something like this:

I'm only using Webb if I get to the 8th tied or with the lead, and Cano is for the 9th with a lead. We need to hold off on Tate just in case it goes to extras.

To win the game, that leaves Baker/Akin to get through the 7th. RHB coming up so start with Baker, hope for a 1-2-3 inning but warm Akin just in case. Well, that didn't work. Since we didn't get the 1-2-3, we'll extend Baker a couple batters and Akin can come in if it gets to Crawford. 

It all makes sense to me. It's all a reflection of the larger problem that without Coulombe, everyone is pushed up a spot beyond where they should be. 

• Upvote 4

24 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

OK, up to this point in the thread, all the Hyde bashers have been saying "leave Baker in" was obviously the better move over Akin. That is the only thing I'm taking issue with. 

As for why it was Akin, I don't love it but I'm guessing the thought process was something like this:

I'm only using Webb if I get to the 8th tied or with the lead, and Cano is for the 9th with a lead. We need to hold off on Tate just in case it goes to extras.

To win the game, that leaves Baker/Akin to get through the 7th. RHB coming up so start with Baker, hope for a 1-2-3 inning but warm Akin just in case. Well, that didn't work. Since we didn't get the 1-2-3, we'll extend Baker a couple batters and Akin can come in if it gets to Crawford. 

It all makes sense to me. It's all a reflection of the larger problem that without Coulombe, everyone is pushed up a spot beyond where they should be. 

Couldn’t agree more.  People can nitpick Hyde’s bullpen decisions all they want, but the fact is that Hyde has milked about as much performance out of this group as reasonably can be expected.   

• Upvote 1