Brandon Hyde 2024

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

They had a very nice run with him.

I wish he'd left after 2016.

He was also a big reason the org ended up in such bad shape. People don’t ever mention that but it’s 100% true.

Edited by Sports Guy

Just now, HowAboutThat said:

Yeah, but take out 47-115 and you get 622-569. Chris Tillman was on Buck, but I don’t know how much responsibility he had for the rest of that appalling roster.

Why are you taking out that year?  His team quit on him.  That's relevant.

I think Buck had his hand in the O'Day extension, the Trumbo deal and the Davis deal.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He was also a big reason the org ended up in such bad shape. People don’t ever mention that but it’s 100% true.

Him, Dan and Peter were all more than willing to give up the future to try and get that first ring.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think Buck had his hand in the O'Day extension, the Trumbo deal and the Davis deal.

In 2018, I really think Buck quit on the team. That team couldn’t have been worse if “worse” had been the actual goal. For me the worst was not letting Yaz come up to play in Fenway during the last series.

Of course, Yaz then ended up in SF, where he was welcomed joyfully…

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m also convinced Buck ruined Matusz with his idiotic TTP stuff

I think Matusz was plenty awful without any help, but I agree that TTTP was like snake oil to Buck. He didn’t care about anything else, it seemed.

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

And ruined Jake Arrietta with TTTP until the Cubs fixed him.

1 minute ago, emmett16 said:

Matusz was overused in 2010 and never had the same stuff.  

My personal take on these two is a bit different.

I think Jake had issues with the Orioles and was unwilling to make changes for them that he was for the Cubs. 

I think Matusz wasn't willing to put in the required work to be great. 

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

My personal take on these two is a bit different.

I think Jake had issues with the Orioles and was unwilling to make changes for them that he was for the Cubs. 

I think Matusz wasn't willing to put in the required work to be great. 

If you look at Matusz’ statcast #s they dropped fairly significant after 2010 and never returned. 

I’ve heard stories from many guys who said the downfall in their career was becoming a “yes man” once they went pro.  Trying to make coaches and orgs happy doing whatever.  

I guess it can go both ways.  It can payoff and it can bite you. 

37 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

Yeah, but take out 47-115 and you get 622-569. Chris Tillman was on Buck, but I don’t know how much responsibility he had for the rest of that appalling roster.

Of course he won't say that.  It doesn't fit the narrative. 

53 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

We will never know.  

Like most managers, Buck had his strengths and weaknesses.  And also like most managers, he eventually reached a point where the players needed to hear a different voice.  

I do think that in general, one of his strengths was bullpen management.  One decision in one playoff game doesn’t change my mind about that.  

However, I have zero desire to relitigate debates about things that happened 6-13 years ago.  

1 hour ago, HowAboutThat said:

I like Buck and am grateful for what he did here.  But he basically admitted that he pushed to make one final run with that core and that it was a mistake.