Holliday called up!

jcaponio

25 minutes ago, SilverRocket said:

Isn't Kemp guaranteed the full $1 million, not a prorated amount if he's released? That's what Spotrac seems to imply. If it were just he makes 35% more than minimum during the time he is here, then that's not a big deal, but the full $1 million implies he was not intended to hold a temporary spot.

If someone picks up Kemp I believe they will end up paying much of his salary and the cost will be less than that.

Anyway, if Kemp helps us optimize the best strategy to get a pick or extra year of Holliday, the Kemp money will be well worth it. Even if it turns out to be $1M, that is only a bad move if the $1M could have been better spent somewhere else. That is really a scarcity mindset that I hope we are done with. Nobody in this day and age should fault a GM over a $1M move. 

I think Elias truly wasn't ready to commit to going for ROY with Holliday and wanted to take as long as possible to decide. It is even possible he thought it more likely that he would keep Holliday down longer to go for the extra year. However, with the other rookies starting slow, Holliday forced his hand. All of a sudden there is a big risk of losing the extra and missing out on the pick, so the upside of the pick becomes determinative.

16 minutes ago, Gunnar said:

But is Matt Holliday still annoyed? I must know.

He's got to get a plane to Boston on short notice.    

Though Elias runs a tight enough ship I could see Matt getting a courtesy heads-up as Person #4 to know with him, Sig and Eve even before "selected media figure" Jeff Passan.

6 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

He's got to get a plane to Boston on short notice.    

Though Elias runs a tight enough ship I could see Matt getting a courtesy heads-up as Person #4 to know with him, Sig and Eve even before "selected media figure" Jeff Passan.

Hopefully, he can afford the tickets, prices are crazy right now. 

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

If someone picks up Kemp I believe they will end up paying much of his salary and the cost will be less than that.

Anyway, if Kemp helps us optimize the best strategy to get a pick or extra year of Holliday, the Kemp money will be well worth it. Even if it turns out to be $1M, that is only a bad move if the $1M could have been better spent somewhere else. That is really a scarcity mindset that I hope we are done with. Nobody in this day and age should fault a GM over a $1M move. 

I think Elias truly wasn't ready to commit to going for ROY with Holliday and wanted to take as long as possible to decide. It is even possible he thought it more likely that he would keep Holliday down longer to go for the extra year. However, with the other rookies starting slow, Holliday forced his hand. All of a sudden there is a big risk of losing the extra and missing out on the pick, so the upside of the pick becomes determinative.

I think this is most likely to be correct.  I think he signed Kemp because he wanted to have an option just in case, and if Holiday had struggled and some of the other guys had been playing better this move wouldnt be happening now.  Some people want to pretend that predicting the future is easy and you just make decisions months in advance...

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Holliday up. Means throwing in Norfolk. Bradish in Aberdeen. 

1. Holliday 2B L

2. Adley C S

3. Gunnar SS L

4. Santa RF S

5. Mountcastle  1B R

6. O’Hearn DH L

7. Westburg 3B R

8. Mullins CF L

9. Cowser/Hays LF

McCann, Cowser/Hays, Mateo, Urias

I think JH leads off eventually, just not right away. 

7 hours ago, capyy said:

When people who are really smart and good at their job are doing something I don't understand, i just assume they've got some smart plan/ideas others can't figure out.

I like that they're on our side.

That could be the case and I commend you for your willingness to put your trust in their intelligence. However, smart people (because they are still people) can and still make mistakes. Whatever/whoever led to the decision of starting the season with the 1 for the season tandem of Urias and Kemp, was a mistake.

7 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

9th wouldn't be bad to start.  He'll see a lot of pitches in front of Gunnar.  Once he starts hitting and we know he'll draw walks, I won't be surprised if he becomes the O's leadoff hitter.  Gunnar 2nd, Adley 3rd.

Shouldn’t it be Holliday, Adley, Gunnar in that order? To split up the 2 lefties.

37 minutes ago, Explosivo said:

I’ll take a shot at today’s lineup:

1. Gunnar

2. Adley

3. Santander

4. O’Hearn

5. Mounty

6. Mully

7. Cowser

8. Westy

9. Holliday

This is my expectation. The Orioles will want to save face that Jackson was not ready and bat him ninth. I don’t think it sends a good message a prospect wasn’t ready and 2 weeks later batting lead off.