Holliday called up!

jcaponio

50 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

People reading way too much into this.  He looked ready in ST.  They wanted him to get a few more reps at 2B and swings against LHP while avoiding LHP in first week.  Doesn’t have to be anymore than that.  Why is that sooooo crazy?  

I know you like to give Elias the benefit of the doubt in all of his moves, and while I agree with you that avoiding the glut of lefties was probably the primary reason, the fact that they Orioles would gain an extra year in a what, four more days seems like it was all for nothing.

Now, maybe Westburg is hurt an that forced their hand a bit, but 4 more days. Why even waste a $1million on Kemp when they had Maton to hold the fort for a few weeks? 

None of this really makes a ton of sense overall. 

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm happy to see Holliday up where he belonged in the first place. I mean, maybe seeing Kemp start in Boston was enough of a wakeup call. Perhaps Westburg has an injury that is going to have him out for a bit? 

It all just seems odd. Not "Oh my God, Elias doesn't know what he's doing odd" but odd none the less. 

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Because it’s the last day that you can call Up a rookie and still get draft pick compensation if you win ROY. I guess that’s why they did it. 

I don’t get why you don’t get the extra year, which makes me wonder about the extension.

They could have called him up on the 11th and still gotten enough days for a full year of service.  I already laid out the math in another thread today.  

3 minutes ago, deward said:

Smart people who are good at their jobs still make dumb mistakes sometimes. 

Sure - but is it really a mistake or is it a good process and the result just isn't guaranteed?

I'm a fan of everything Elias does. He's the best GM in baseball. I will always assume he has a good reason for what he's done. 

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Looks like the terrible names from the early 2000s are closing in on us. Can’t wait till the sports landscape is littered with guys named Kylan, Cannyn, Cadyn and one of those dudes is on a team that I gotta root for. 

I think we missed the Cadyn, Aiden craze.  They should be well into their 20's by now.

I guess they just weren't athletic.

Cowser is proving that he not only deserves everyday playing time, but being in the top part of the order.  Gunnar, Adley, Cowser, and Holliday is an OBP buzzsaw.  Put them at the top half of the order and let Mounty and Santander clear the bases.

52 minutes ago, Malike said:

Because he went up against a LHP tonight and held his own? They probably wanted him to get reps against LHP, nothing more nefarious.

You can't possibly believe less than 15 PAs against lefties changed anything, can you?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think we missed the Cadyn, Aiden craze.  They should be well into their 20's by now.

I guess they just weren't athletic.

Aiden Hutchinson was the #1 overall pick in the NFL draft recently. I think they're playing other sports.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, yark14 said:

Cowser is proving that he not only deserves everyday playing time, but being in the top part of the order.  Gunnar, Adley, Cowser, and Holliday is an OBP buzzsaw.  Put them at the top half of the order and let Mounty and Santander clear the bases.

Wait until Mayo gets here.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, capyy said:

Sure - but is it really a mistake or is it a good process and the result just isn't guaranteed?

I'm a fan of everything Elias does. He's the best GM in baseball. I will always assume he has a good reason for what he's done. 

Sometimes a mistake is just a mistake. Smart people can talk themselves into bad decisions. Not saying this is one, time will tell there. 

1 hour ago, emmett16 said:

Why? He makes a tad over  league minimum.  Seems like it makes perfect sense.  They likely knew that was the plan/date all along.  Strange thing is why not just stick with Wong.  

Good Lord man. TAKE A DEEP BREATH and don't think you have to personally go on crusade to defend Elias IN EVERYTHING HE DOES. Signing Kemp was dumb. It was unnecessary. They had Maton and for the little bit they used Kemp they could have used Maton. 

Now who cares if they spend $300k ish more than major league minimum, it was a dumb unnecessary move that made little sense when it happened. 

The fact that it appears that Holliday is not going to be down for any length, and signing Kemp makes even less sense. You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig. 

• Upvote 2