Holliday called up!

jcaponio

11 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

We all asked the same question when he was signed.

I don’t recall anyone providing a rational answer. 

When people who are really smart and good at their job are doing something I don't understand, i just assume they've got some smart plan/ideas others can't figure out.

I like that they're on our side.

• Upvote 3

They should have just called him up on OD, but I can follow the rationale. I don’t think it is necessarily a response to a Westburg injury. 

-MLB team faced lots of LHP in the early games

-2 more weeks to get acclimated to 2B defense, basically extended Spring Training

-Delayed the service time vs. ROY PPI decision until the actual deadline; while a very small sample, he could have looked overmatched in those 2 weeks, and it provided 2 weeks to evaluate the other competitors for ROY (who have not done well) and the opportunity cost of Holliday v. Urias (which looks pretty big if Urias has significantly declined)

-2 weeks won’t dramatically impact his ROY chances, particularly given he missed a lot of games against LHP  

With Urias performing so poorly it easily could have cost a win, and probably did on net still impact his ROY chances, so if they were going to do it they should have on Opening Day. But they eventually landed in the right place.

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

that no hit Tampa Bay outfielder who I cant remember his name.  Elias always does something freaking odd as all hell every year.  

You're referring to Brett Phillips.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Only on the OH could the #1 prospect get called up and people would be like “this is dumb, why not just start him in Baltimore on opening day?”

I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again. If the Orioles win the World Series in 5 games, some of you would be upset they didn’t win in 4. 

I hope he gets the start tomorrow and rips up the Sox and goes on to win ROY. 

It’s now turning into an autopsy of the Tony Kemp signing. You guys are hilarious 🤣 🤣🤣🤣

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Couldn’t they have signed him to a minor league contract and been free to cut him at any point?

Would seem to make more sense for a guy who you intend to have on the team for a month or less. 

Ideally, but it takes two to tango. 

4 minutes ago, SilverRocket said:

Send him down on the last day if he's not winning ROY to get the extra year.

Might be too cute.  He would never sign with us again if we did this.  Still maybe they do it.

Ever watch Game of Thrones where Tyrion passed information to several someones to see how the rumor mill spread?  Maybe ME let on that Holliday was being promoted to just one person in his inner circle and all of a sudden, Jeff Passan is posting it on social media.  

17 minutes ago, Malike said:

If they are gaming service time why not just stick with Mateo/Kemp/Urias for 3 days and call up a retread?

Because it’s the last day that you can call Up a rookie and still get draft pick compensation if you win ROY. I guess that’s why they did it. 

I don’t get why you don’t get the extra year, which makes me wonder about the extension.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Because it’s the last day that you can call Up a rookie and still get draft pick compensation if you win ROY. I guess that’s why they did it. 

I don’t get why you don’t get the extra year, which makes me wonder about the extension.

It is a little strange but I would be completely blown away if they have an extension in place for him.

Just now, Malike said:

It is a little strange but I would be completely blown away if they have an extension in place for him.

Maybe not in place but maybe talks are happening and they feel good about it.

It’s just so odd to do it now even if there is an injury. An injury makes more sense but it’s still odd imo.