Anthony Santander 2024

DirtyBird

How much does the maturity period matter?  How much does the switch-hitting matter?

SH Santa at $20+ for a 4-5 years. 

RH Eloy at $16+ for 2 years

LH O'Hearn at $7.5 for 1 year 

LH Kjerstad at bupkis and 5 years of control.

Can Eloy do anything between now and year end to convince Elias he's worth the option?

8 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

How much does the maturity period matter?  How much does the switch-hitting matter?

Can Eloy do anything between now and year end to convince Elias he's worth the option?

I don't see that happening.   He is injury prone.  Has lost the ability to run.   He is  a DH and the O's have several guys that can do that for less.   Eloy will go free agent and his price will drop substantially.

Edited by wildcard

54 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

I’ve got to counter that and say that Aaron Judge also got off to a slow start, and he’s by far and away the leader in the MVP race.  I love Santander, but you aren’t winning the MVP with a .700 OPS through the first two months of the season.  He plays the game very well, has improved his defense and is an important part of our team.  But, he’s not an MVP level player.  He’s very good, and we know he can go on ridiculous hot stretches. I play super deep 30 team fantasy baseball leagues and since May, I have not lost an offensive week because I have Judge and Santander.  So I know very well how hot he can get since I see it every day- and am likely to win some good money this year because of it. 

At least to me, It’s pretty clear that the team is planning for Santander to walk in free agency.  With Kjerstad/Mayo/O’Hearn/Mountcastle still here, even if you pull Mountcastle in a trade this off-season, that’s still your daily ABs taken up for RF/1B/DH. 

I thought there was a small chance we would re-sign Santander, but after they brought in Eflin and have $18m to pay him next year, I immediately went to the recent activity.  Hays was traded, rumors of Mullins/Mountcastle being on the block and now Santander’s pending FA.  Eflin’s contract is basically paid next year with Hays off the books, Santander a FA and a non-tender of Mullins (or a trade of either him or Mountcastle.) 

Anthony has been a great story for us, and a great player and leader.  But the cold analytical side and financial side here is going to come into play.  I don’t see many scenarios where he is back next season.  

ThomasTomasz of Pro Sports Daily fame! 

Driven here.

1 hour ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I love the guy, he is steady and positive and (I believe) a very good influence on the younger players.

I'd definitely let him walk.

Agreed, even in a career year he has a .311 OBP.  If he would do something like 3 years/$60MM maybe I would consider it but he's going to get a good bit more than that I think. 

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

He's not even in the Orioles MVP conversation. That's Gunnar by a landslide (especially if you "apples to apples" ignore Gunnar's defensive slump). I am a huge fan but I also recognize we have a pipeline of talent ready for OF/DH. Give him a QO and see where the negotiations go. 

I know there's way more love for Gunnar and Adley in this fanbase, but you have got to be kidding me by saying Gunnar is a landslide favorite to win the Orioles MVP over Santander. Santander is the most dangerous hitter in this team. 

Who would you rather have up in a big moment, Gunnar or Santander?

3 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

I know there's way more love for Gunnar and Adley in this fanbase, but you have got to be kidding me by saying Gunnar is a landslide favorite to win the Orioles MVP over Santander. Santander is the most dangerous hitter in this team. 

Gunnar plays a prime defensive position. He also has a much higher OBP leading to higher OPS despite slightly fewer HR. Gunnar also steals bases and has 4 more triples to compensate for the HR. By both fWAR and bWAR Gunnar is at least twice as valuable as Santander. It's really not even close. 

59 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

No chance..but I think he could do enough where the team offers him a contract at a lot less money.

13 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

This week? Probably Holliday. 

A week ago? Maybe Santander.

Over the course of the season? Clearly Gunnar.

.248/.311/.540 isn't in the same ballpark as .287/.375/.557.

7 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Gunnar plays a prime defensive position. He also has a much higher OBP leading to higher OPS despite slightly fewer HR. Gunnar also steals bases and has 4 more triples to compensate for the HR. By both fWAR and bWAR Gunnar is at least twice as valuable as Santander. It's really not even close. 

The only advantage that Gunnar clearly has is his batting average. Like I said, Santander got off to a really bad start. Right now, I'd go with Santander in everything else. 

3 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

This week? Probably Holliday. 

A week ago? Maybe Santander.

Over the course of the season? Clearly Gunnar.

.248/.311/.540 isn't in the same ballpark as .287/.375/.557.

This week, it's Hollliday

Last week: "MAYBE" Santander

I'm out

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Hopefully he’s playing himself into a QO and turning it down.

Is it even a question now whether he’d get a QO?   Of course he would.  And sure he’d turn it down.  He’s put himself in a fantastic position.  He may well get the biggest contact that any Oriole FA has ever received from another team.  (The “other team” qualifier excludes the Chris Davis fiasco.   I believe the biggest contact signed by another team with an Orioles free agent is the Mussina contract, 6 years, $88.5 mm.)

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Is it even a question now whether he’d get a QO?   Of course he would.  And sure he’d turn it down.  He’s put himself in a fantastic position.  He may well get the biggest contact that any Oriole FA has ever received from another team.  (The “other team” qualifier excludes the Chris Davis fiasco.   I believe the biggest contact signed by another team with an Orioles free agent is the Mussina contract, 6 years, $88.5 mm.)

Well it depends on how he ends the season. 

6 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

This week, it's Hollliday

Last week: "MAYBE" Santander

I'm out

Yep, last week it was probably a tossup between Cowser and Santander.

From 7/26-31 .400/.406/.600 vs. .296/.406/.667.

I'm in.

Edited by MurphDogg

25 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

Gunnar has a WAR well over 6…Santander is under 3.  It’s not even close.