David Rubenstein 2024

From Rosenthal’s latest article:

The completion of the Baltimore Orioles’ sale is expected in the “coming days,” according to sources briefed on the process. At that point, the group led by David Rubenstein and Mike Arougheti will close on the remaining 60 percent of the team, valued at approximately $1 billion (the total purchase price was $1.725 billion).

How might all of this impact Orioles general manager Mike Elias at the deadline?

According to Christopher Ullman, a spokesman for Rubenstein, “David would entertain anything that Mike Elias recommends.”

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

From Rosenthal’s latest article:

The completion of the Baltimore Orioles’ sale is expected in the “coming days,” according to sources briefed on the process. At that point, the group led by David Rubenstein and Mike Arougheti will close on the remaining 60 percent of the team, valued at approximately $1 billion (the total purchase price was $1.725 billion).

How might all of this impact Orioles general manager Mike Elias at the deadline?

According to Christopher Ullman, a spokesman for Rubenstein, “David would entertain anything that Mike Elias recommends.”

Throwing t shirts is nice and all, but it’s time to throw that paper around. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Throwing t shirts is nice and all, but it’s time to throw that paper around. 

Sounds like he's waiting for Elias to recommend... anything. 

I worry more and more about Elias' risk aversion. We may have an owner who wants to spend and a GM who doesn't.

18 minutes ago, interloper said:

I worry more and more about Elias' risk aversion. We may have an owner who wants to spend and a GM who doesn't.

I don’t think we’d be limited in pursuing Eovaldi, Eflin, Bassitt, Castillo, Fedde, etc. from a financial perspective.  However, we still need to line up with them on prospects.

44 minutes ago, interloper said:

Least of my worries. We have - I think - an owner that will give his GM a competative budget to work with and let that GM run the team. I do not forsee another Chris Davis situation. May not always agree with Elias but he should have ownerships' trust as long as they see him as best architect for the Orioles. I think Elais will spend if he has the budget and I think he will do so wisely. But that's just my opinion.

Not saying it would, but it would be beyond irony if this board all of a sudden wanted ownership to engage agents and spend without their GM's involvement or get involved in trades other than budgetarily. 

I love this quote, after he gives a lot of details of things that could be done to upgrade Camden Yards:

“There are  lots of things we can do to make it more appealing to fans. Nothing is more appealing than winning. Otherwise, if we had a bad stadium and we had a great team, people would live with that.”

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

I love this quote, after he gives a lot of details of things that could be done to upgrade Camden Yards:

“There are  lots of things we can do to make it more appealing to fans. Nothing is more appealing than winning. Otherwise, if we had a bad stadium and we had a great team, people would live with that.”

It worked for Memorial Stadium. I recall more than one game — obstructed view behind a column and yet, enjoying a game because the O’s were competitive. That aside, all of DR’s answers were good and more about expectations than anything about himself — winning is what keeps fans happy. 

On 7/26/2024 at 9:03 AM, Frobby said:

Frobby, you seem to follow the business side of the O’s fairly close.

Curious what you think the O’s payroll could get up to and the O’s still break even?

With the caveat you only know what is reported on their financials with most of it being speculation.  

On 7/26/2024 at 7:45 AM, interloper said:

I'm assuming that Elias has done a thorough risk analysis for the way this season has developed. Perhaps determined that after losing Bradish, Means, Wells and Coulombe that there are just too many pitching holes to fill. Keep all the big prospects, let go of Hays, Mullins, Urias, Mateo in the offseason and go with the younguns. 

(just speculation on my part)