David Rubenstein 2024

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Bro, how can you not like that?

It's silly, it's fun.  It's an attempt to tie in the good feelings of the past with the good feelings of the present.  

Yeah, just a promo thing for the heck of it, why not?

It's fine. I guess it's just when it comes to the owner and this "next chapter", I want to know what that means. Just give me an update on the work that needs to be done. MASN. Stadium reno's. Ground lease. Extensions for Elias and crew. Something with meat on the bones. 

I get that the casual/older fan benefits from funny little commercials with Cal and the theme song, and that DR wants to show that he's not Angelos. That's nice and all. Personally, I just want to read about what the guy is planning on doing, and any updates I can sink my teeth into. 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Aglets said:

I think it might be a tease that they are working on plans to improve the sound system at the stadium.

But not something i'm losing sleep over either way.

This is what I'm hoping. But after the last thing, I'm hesitant to read into anything. 

But again, if that's the case, just say it! 🙄

Edited by interloper

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

It's fine. I guess it's just when it comes to the owner and this "next chapter", I want to know what that means. Just give me an update on the work that needs to be done. MASN. Stadium reno's. Ground lease. Extensions for Elias and crew. Something with meat on the bones. 

I get that the casual/older fan benefits from funny little commercials with Cal and the theme song, and that DR wants to show that he's not Angelos. That's nice and all. Personally, I just want to read about what the guy is planning on doing, and any updates I can sink my teeth into. 

Ok.

I give a year buffer before judging new owner, coach, GM in any circumstance. My initial report is the guy loves himself and the spotlight. He is also missing the tone of this fan base. We don’t need an owner taking spotlight from these players. Gunnar, Adley, Westburg, Cowser, Burnes are enough entertainment value on a nightly basis. Let’s get working on long term contracts, MASN fixed and stadium renovations going. I also say let’s look at tailgating for Thursday-Saturday.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

Awful lot of grumpy fans for a team that is 19-10 and in first place in the East after beating the Yankees twice. 

?

I'm as thrilled as anyone about the team. That has nothing to do with the owner, who I just would rather have a proper update from instead of social media posts, that's all. I don't think it's that controversial of a take. I'm just eager to hear some news. 

• Haha 1

I am not grumpy, but I will be impressed with Rubinstein when I actually see anything change other than Cal being at the park every day.  Not saying I don't think he might be less stingy, just saying as of now we have zero way to know one way or the other.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Rbiggs2525 said:

I give a year buffer before judging new owner, coach, GM in any circumstance. My initial report is the guy loves himself and the spotlight. He is also missing the tone of this fan base. We don’t need an owner taking spotlight from these players. Gunnar, Adley, Westburg, Cowser, Burnes are enough entertainment value on a nightly basis. Let’s get working on long term contracts, MASN fixed and stadium renovations going. I also say let’s look at tailgating for Thursday-Saturday.

I think this misses the mark. I think Rubenstein is having fun and attempting to connect with the fanbase. This is a breath of fresh air especially after prior group was silent and dismissive of the fanbase in general. I love it and appreciate that rubenstein is having fun. 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

He certainly has the casual fan tone down. Cal Ripken, Orioles Magic, etc. I know a lot of fans where this is really working for them, and it's probably a good business decision to tap into that subsect of fans. For me, it's a little eye-rolly. 

How are you improving the organization? That's all I care about. I'm confident he'll do good work. But you can miss me with the 80s callbacks. It's 2024 and it's a new brand of baseball in Baltimore. Show me the work. That's why everyone is excited about this ownership. 

And I've said from the beginning that I'm not just going to give DR a blanket pass simply because he's not Angelos. We have no idea if he will spend. We have no idea what he will or won't do. Again, I'm confident he will, but until he does something, ya know... actions speak louder than words/social media posts. 

Edited by interloper

4 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Seems like in reality your 'buffer' for not judging the owner lasted about 30 days.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, baltfan said:

I am not grumpy, but I will be impressed with Rubinstein when I actually see anything change other than Cal being at the park every day.  Not saying I don't think he might be less stingy, just saying as of now we have zero way to know one way or the other.

Exactly. This is not an unreasonable take for a fanbase that is traumatized from decades of poor ownership. Perfectly reasonable to want to see evidence of change that isn't just marketing-related. The marketing is being used to build a positive relationship with fans, and there's nothing wrong with that. Just want to see more. 

14 minutes ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

Awful lot of grumpy fans for a team that is 19-10 and in first place in the East after beating the Yankees twice. 

That, and everything has to have some meaning.  Everything has to have some message behind it.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

This is pretty silly, especially on the heels of the Angelos family that had absolutely no feel for marketing, the fanbase and fun.  

I don't think Gunnar, Adley, Westy and the rest are being pushed out of the spotlight due to a 30 second marketing clip.  

• Upvote 2

It's pretty interesting how many fans really are just content with a simple vibe change from Angelos. The vibe change is nice! I'll agree on that. 

But... come on. DR will get his flowers when they're warranted, and not before. Don't know what's wrong with that kind of thinking. I'm not hating on the guy. Just not gonna be a pollyanna about him before he's even done anything.