Of course, none of us are technicians about hitting...but what can the Orioles do about Holliday?

2 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

As long as we are winning regularly and scoring runs while having to carry him in the lineup, I don't see a problem.

It is best for the org that he learn at this level. I know that it may be "painful to watch" for some. But what he needs to learn, he cannot learn at AAA. The pitching there is simply not good/competitive enough to teach him the things that will make him an effective/very good/maybe even great Big Leaguer. Pitchers at AAA cannot execute the breaking pitches with command on a consistent basis to give him those kind of meaningful reps.

We have the luxury of "apprenticing" him right now because the rest of the lineup/roster/team is so good.  

I have seen many good and great players struggle at first in the ML's. I just hope the O's are patient with him and keep running him out there.

As long as the rest of the lineup is hitting, just keep running him out there and leave him alone. He will figure it out.

If by mid-May he's still hitting below .100 then look to make a change. The kid is less than 2 years removed from HS. Cut him some slack.

3 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

I have seen many good and great players struggle at first in the ML's. I just hope the O's are patient with him and keep running him out there.

I'm very confident that they will. 

Scouting in today's game is better than it's ever been before. The Orioles very well know what kind of player and talent that Holliday is. And they know/knew that it would take time for him to figure things out.

Jackson Holliday did not all of a sudden forget how to play baseball. He's in the process however of figuring out how to succeed at the Big League level.

Elias was an old scout. I'm very confident that he knows this and took this into consideration in his decision making matrix.

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Do you think umps are like, this kids a rookie I'll screw up the metrics I'm graded on to screw with him?

All I know in the past, I read and heard  on talk shows, Umps favor veterans more than rookies. Can of Corn, I'm sorry I don't have written proof.

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Do you think umps are like, this kids a rookie I'll screw up the metrics I'm graded on to screw with him?

That’s obviously not the case, but I think some hitters who are known to be patient tend to get the benefit of the doubt on some close pitches, while a rookie may not get that same advantage. I don’t think it should make a huge difference, but we are still talking about a very small sample for Holliday and I’ve seen some pitches that were called strikes that could have been balls. All it takes is a couple extra hits and his stats would look a lot better. We just need to be patient and let him adjust. He’ll be fine. 

3 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

All I know in the past, I read and heard  on talk shows, Umps favor veterans more than rookies. Can of Corn, I'm sorry I don't have written proof.

I think there may have been some truth to that back in the day, but in today's game the Umps get post game feedback on every call they make.  They (with rare exceptions) are not going to deviate from what they think are balls and strikes.

25 minutes ago, oriole said:

I haven’t watched every single at bat, the ones I have seen have been bad.

I didn’t check the EV on his hit, I’ve been corrected. It was technically a hard hit ball. Looked it like it squeezed through a hole in the infield to me, but 101 is technically a hard hit ball so I concede.

I feel like reiterating, I think he’s going to be a very good player. Not sure why everyone here is so against being critical on someone who has hit worse than any active major league hitter in the same time frame. Isn’t it safe to just make the statement that Jackson Holliday has been bad at baseball? Sure he’ll be fine, but so far he hasn’t been. God forbid you say it out loud. I’m not even panicked about him as a player. Almost every rookie struggles in a similar fashion. They’re not all hyped to the degree that Holliday is though, so of course he will put under a different microscope. 

Not really, because context matters.  So does sample size assuming you're trying to find some kind of meaning.