Of course, none of us are technicians about hitting...but what can the Orioles do about Holliday?

I have watched a lot of his AB's and it looks like pitchers are just painting the corners on him.  He has not gotten anything really in the zone.  It's crazy that the pitchers attack him and then next up is Gunnar and he gets a hanging slider / changeup in the lower zone that he just pummels. 

It's tough to see him struggle but I think he will build and learn from this.  He's not going anywhere.

I have high hopes from Holliday, but my near term expectations have gone down significantly. He doesn’t look to have a lot of control over his swing, his eye doesn’t seem great, and he is a defensive liability.

Do I think he’ll have a great career? Yeah, probably. But he looks every bit 20 years old. Luckily the team is good enough to carry him.

Not trying to be sour about him, it’s just quite surprising the level of terrible I have seen from him. I knew he wouldn’t be an all star out of the gate, I knew he’d have some struggles, but it’s hard to believe the amount of hype this kid has been given. Absolutely terrible. Again, small sample size and I think he’ll be fine in the long run…just not looking good at all right now.

• Downvote 1

Let’s keep these early struggles in mind the next time someone is clamoring to have Mayo replace Urias on the roster. There’s a reason they let these kids marinate longer in AAA, and a reason they stagger the callups. 

Holliday will be fine, though I must admit he does look like a boy among men out there when you’re watching the games. I don’t think he will for much longer though. Well other than his baby face LOL. 

It’s been a week.   Just let him play and stop putting every AB under a microscope.  If he’s not hitting after a month, I’ll worry about it.  To me, he’s already looked better the last 3-4 games than he did in the first few.  

I'm always surprised to see Gunnar lumped in with the guys that "every rookie struggles" argument. I think that's pretty revisionist. Gunnar came up firing, batting .312 after 3 weeks. He cooled down after that. His April in 2023 was filled with too much patience and too much whiffing, but his OBP hovered around ~.340 in his "slump". 

Their acclamation periods have not been comparable. Holliday has barely gotten the ball out the infield, when he does make contact <50% of the time. I'm not really sure I've seen a line drive? It's been a disaster of a first week. But...who cares. Because it's only been a week. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Matt Bennett said:

I'm always surprised to see Gunnar lumped in with the guys that "every rookie struggles" argument. I think that's pretty revisionist. Gunnar came up firing, batting .312 after 3 weeks. He cooled down after that. His April in 2023 was filled with too much patience and too much whiffing, but his OBP hovered around ~.340 in his "slump". 

Their acclamation periods have not been comparable. Holliday has barely gotten the ball out the infield, when he does make contact <50% of the time. I'm not really sure I've seen a line drive? It's been a disaster of a first week. But...who cares. Because it's only been a week. 

First, their ages when coming to the Majors and their minor league experience (amount of games/plate appearances) are very different when comparing the two.

Second, Gunnar was performing so bad (to some) through most of May last season that several posters/fans were advocating for sending him down. That's not "revisionist history" that's what happened.

Last, I don't like comparing our players or even talk about who is best/who will be better because they are all Baltimore Orioles and I want all of them to succeed. One player's success does not have to come at the expense of the other. And every player is a unique individual. Most young players/including almost all of the very best prospects in the sport struggle when acclimating to the Majors.

Many posters (including me) where down on Cowser after his struggles last year and look at how that turned out?

Jackson Holliday is an uber-talented 20 year-old. He will figure it out.

4 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Time is all I suspect he needs. But, I wouldn’t be surprised if he goes back down if he continues to struggle. We have plenty of better options better than Kemp at AAA that can be brought up.

Norby is an option at second base.I think Holliday will get a long stint in Baltimore. Its his job to lose right now...but he COULD be sent down if it doesnt get better,