Holliday 2024 fWAR expectations

Sports Guy

Holliday WAR  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Holliday 2024 fWAR: O/U 2.9?

3 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

They say War never changes but it seems to me they re-calibrate it every few years.

Fangraphs definitely has changed fWAR multiple times, including this season.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ArtVanDelay said:

I didn’t realize that Holliday putting up less than 3 WAR meant that the sky is falling.

Also, I don’t even use twitter and I know that people here are far more intelligent baseball fans.

You aren't new here. If you want to act like people don't overreact at an amazingly high level then I don't know what to tell you.

39 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The poll I did on twitter received 102 votes and it ended up 53% over and 47% under.

Interesting that the OH poll would be more pessimistic.   But you did a good job setting the O/U.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Gunnar had 4.7 FWAR last year.  I’m going with 3.7 for Holliday.  The Baltimore Kid breaks out within the next 7 games.

I don’t think Gunnar’s a good benchmark.  He was 18 months older, had more minor league experience, had been better in AAA, and had already spent a month in the majors.   

At the same time, I do expect Holliday to start hitting better very soon.  Not sure I’d expect him to “break out” soon but I’d expect him to start looking respectable.  

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think Gunnar’s a good benchmark.  He was 18 months older, had more minor league experience, had been better in AAA, and had already spent a month in the majors.   

At the same time, I do expect Holliday to start hitting better very soon.  Not sure I’d expect him to “break out” soon but I’d expect him to start looking respectable.  

3.7.  Book it Dano!

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

From your mouth to God’s ear.  

Just ask some of those guys in the Christ thread to pray for it.   I asked God for my first serious girlfriend and promised if I got that I would never ask for anything again.   I’ve been all out of asks for a long, long time.

43 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Interesting that the OH poll would be more pessimistic.   But you did a good job setting the O/U.

Yep.  That surprised me too. I think the twitter response is more representative of reality to be honest.  Basically, it’s a toss up imo. I felt he would be a 3.5-4 WAR guy this year but he didn’t come up on OD and he has struggled early on.  So, that may be a little lofty but I don’t think it’s going to be off by much, if anything, at all.

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Vegas has bets on fWAR?

Hell, I'd imagine you could find any kind of prop bet in Vegas.

You can bet on if the 11th man on the Wizards gets three or more rebounds on any given game, I'm sure you can find prop bets on WAR.