Holliday 2024 fWAR expectations

Sports Guy

Holliday WAR  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Holliday 2024 fWAR: O/U 2.9?

4 minutes ago, Malike said:

I still think they can carry him while he learns if the team plays well. He has nothing to prove in AAA, he has shown he can hit AAA pitching, he needs to see ML pitching, it's a huge jump in talent and there is no higher level.

Eh.  I think he'll play basically every day, either in the MLB or if he keeps being essentially unplayable, in AAA.

2 hours ago, ArtVanDelay said:

Well there’s a big difference between a good fielding SS and an average fielding 2nd baseman when it comes to WAR.  Unless you think Holliday is elite at 2B.  I’m not so sure about that yet. 

The difference between a +0 average 2B and a +5 SS is 10 runs, or one win. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Fiver6565 said:

Worst case scenario, what is the number of at bats that would force them to make a decision on sending him back down?  Hopefully it doesn't come to that, but what would it truly take?  3 for 100 or something nuts like that?

Cal started his career 14-for-104 (.135) and didn't get sent down.

Of course he didn't have to deal with social media and 24/7 talk radio goons yelling incessantly about how a brief rough patch means we should question the foundations of western civilization.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Cal started his career 14-for-104 (.135) and didn't get sent down.

Of course he didn't have to deal with social media and 24/7 talk radio goons yelling incessantly about how a brief rough patch means we should question the foundations of western civilization.

To be clear, I don't think he's going to get sent down.  But the reality is he will need to pick up the pace relatively significantly to even get to the Cal bar.  He's on pace for 5 or 6-for-104 right now, with a million K's in there.  Again, not saying that will continue, I highly doubt it does.  I'm just curious HOW bad it would have to get before they'd send him down.

I also don't think he's necessarily shown that he's mastered AAA pitching, as someone else posited. He's hit well there but it wasn't a lot of games, and half the ones from this year were against a team that seems it shouldn't even be in AAA its so bad.  I'd be curious how far his stats would have dropped in AAA if he'd stayed, the way the rest of the guys have evened off.

All of which is to say, he's here, and I am pretty confident he's staying almost regardless, but I am curious where the line for breaching that 'almost' is.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Um... Trading Basallo doesn't shorten our window to 1-2 years. What will shorten our window of being the best team in baseball is if we go cheap and don't extend superstars like Adley/Gunnar/Holliday. OR if those who we choose to extend suffer injuries and are never the same level ballplayers. I don't see a realistic scenario where loosing one of Basallo/Mayo/Kjerstad shortens our window.
    • Yeah I think he goes back down along with McKenna when Hays comes back with Norby joining him.  They want Ryan for a defensive replacement in the outfield while Hays is out but once Hays is there he can be that guy and then Norby can come in and play some second and also outfield.  Elias has said he very close so that tells me he is here by June 1 if not earlier.  
    • A Miller move would be for more than one or two years even if you are factoring in a TJ surgery.
    • No, the window is more important than just one year. Ten years vs. 1-2
    • Petition to have a separate trade forum for these types of discussions.
    • no, Miller can be as good as he wants, the elbow or shoulder injury is going to come so no not trading a top hitting prospect for him 
    • You see that's where you and I have a point of departure. I NEVER believe in making fear-based decisions that are informed by past pains/"traumas". You have to try to evaluate each decision as their own. Matt Weiters has absolutely ZERO to do with Adley Rutschman, except that both played catcher for the Orioles. Totally different games/styles, strengths and weaknesses. Weiters had a much better throwing arm than Rutschman has. That's it. Not other attribute was better. Adley is smaller in size, a better athlete by far, and a superior hitter in EVERY way. I also, don't agree with you take on assets. You can never have too many useful assets. It's better to have players that are acutally contributing to a championship (especially multiple championship runs) than it is to have insurance that you don't use for just in case scenarios. What if Adley doesn't get hurt? What if Mayo moves to RF and Kjerstad to DH. Where does Basallo play? Are you going to move him to 1B and jettison Mountcastle? That's fine. But then what would be the plan to obtain the requisite pitching talent? Do we need to have all-star type players at all 9 positions and how much is having that worth sacrificing top pitching talent?
  • Popular Contributors

• Popular Now