Wednesday Afternoon April 24: Rubber match in Anaheim

SteveA

Just now, Malike said:

Maybe a little bit of both. I think people forget how young he still is and it feels like he's a remnant of the losing years and isn't a part of the future.

I wonder what kind of player Mountcastle would be if he developed under Elias' player development system.  Every player that's come up in the Elias era has had at least average plate discipline.  He might be a perennial all star if Elias' team would have been able to coach swing decisions to him.

Just now, Hallas said:

I wonder what kind of player Mountcastle would be if he developed under Elias' player development system.  Every player that's come up in the Elias era has had at least average plate discipline.  He might be a perennial all star if Elias' team would have been able to coach swing decisions to him.

Do you think they've ignored him for the last 3 years? 

Don't get me wrong, I understand your point, but I think they've been working with him and I think he's come a long way as a hitter since his debut.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Hallas said:

That's a good question. He does seem to have better swing decisions as he gets older.

1 minute ago, Sanfran327 said:

Do you think they've ignored him for the last 3 years? 

Don't get me wrong, I understand your point, but I think they've been working with him and I think he's come a long way as a hitter since his debut.

I think that sort of thing is something that's a lot easier to train when you're in your teens or early 20s.  When you're in the majors it becomes really hard to make the needed adjustments against major league pitching.  On top of that I think some of that knowledge/teaching becomes crystalized and older players are less able to make wholesale changes.

15 minutes ago, Malike said:

I don't understand the Mountcastle hate, it's almost like people think he's a replacement-level player.

Last year, it seemed that only when Mounty and Ced were in the lineup could we expect any kind of situational hitting with RISP, and when they were out for injury that really suffered. 

I have no stats to back that up, it's just what I seem to remember. 

• Upvote 1