Holliday optioned, McKenna recalled

Brian88

33 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t know what the Hays injury situation is, but this may be a very short call-up for McKenna.  I think Hays is eligible to come off the IL on Wednesday.  

Seems like a good time to send Hays to AAA on rehab assignment.  That's a good way to get his bat going.

11 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I think that's exactly the thinking here. McKenna is right-handed hitter who can handle CF defensively. This allows them to keep Cowser in LF where he's looked very good. I'm only a little surprised because Mateo has played some CF and you would think he'd be ok for a game or two until Hays is back. 

They clearly want to be able to DFA that last guy  so McKenna makes more sense in that regard than Norby. Still, with several pitchers like Heasley and Ort available to be DFA'd without issue, I might have gone with Norby and given him some starts at 2B, even if no one can be too psyched with him there defensively.

I sort of wonder if Hays' role when he comes back will be to platoon with Mullins in CF rather than with Cowser in LF. Cowser has shown some ability to hit lefties, and he looks like an everyday player to me. Mullins... I just want him to stay healthy. And if that means sitting against some lefties with Hays out there, I'm for that, even with the defensive hit for the first 7 innings or so. 

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

While I don't think the "media circus" driven by the Orioles PR, to include giving away his t-shirt in his home debut, caused his problems, I'm a believer that you make a guy earn it at the big league level before you start giving away his likeness on t-shirts or bobbleheads. 

I don't care who you are, you don't need any added pressure while trying to make your way in the big leagues.

Yeah it probably didn't have a heck of a lot of impact on him, but it's just really kind of unwarranted to a degree.

I'm sure the kid is plenty mentally tough to continue on his ridiculous path. 

I will say I think sending Holliday down right now is a bit premature.  His last game, he had some promising at bats.  I'm not saying he looked like Ken Griffey Jr. out there or whatever but he was starting to look better and I was looking forward to seeing if he could build on that during the A's series.

Had he struggled through the Yankees series at the same rate, I'd have been more understanding.

But, whatever.  Hopefully he figures it out and gets back up here soon.

Without reading but 3 posts:

RM has had chances.. and for whatever reason may be getting another opportunity, simply because he handles his time on the bench well. ME may not want to bring up someone to ride the pine. That's it. There's no other reason IMO.

I still don't like it.

4 minutes ago, Malike said:

Did Holliday get enough days in the ML to be disqualified from ROY consideration next season?

130 AB or 45 days on the MLB roster. Didn't come close to either.

EDIT - 34 AB and 16 days on the roster.

Edited by spleen1015
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Drifter said:

Without reading but 3 posts:

RM has had chances.. and for whatever reason may be getting another opportunity, simply because he handles his time on the bench well. ME may not want to bring up someone to ride the pine. That's it. There's no other reason IMO.

I still don't like it.

If Holliday could play every day, so could Norby.