Any Interest in Aaron Hicks?

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I'm literally not grasping at straws.  Mckenna didn't get used as a defensive sub in a huge game versus the Yankees.  That's a fact.  

I like Aaron Hicks over Ryan Mckenna.  Hicks has value as a role player, switch hits, and had postseason success last postseason with us.  Mckenna is a defensive replacement that has a history of "lapses" during his minor league career.  Now those lapses are costing us MLB games.  

I forgave Aaron Hicks for playing for the Yankees.  He had a lot of big moments last year, and oddly enough didn't block anyone other than Mckenna.  If your dislike for Aaron Hicks is making you stand up for Ryan Mckenna then there are bigger issues than discussing which player best suits this team.  

You're grasping at straws when you're up in arms about McKenna not being used as a defensive replacement last night as if it's evidence of something.

Hicks, in 57 at bats this year is already at . -0.7 WAR.  Now that's a small sample size, but at his age I don't expect him to miraculously get much better.  

I liked Hicks last year, he did a lot of good things for us and was a big surprise for when Mullins went down.  He played really well at times.  I don't dislike him, I just think he's reached the end of his line as a useful major league ballplayer.  

I'm glad you found it within yourself to forgive Hicks for playing with the Yankees.  

20 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I'm literally not grasping at straws.  Mckenna didn't get used as a defensive sub in a huge game versus the Yankees.  That's a fact.  

I like Aaron Hicks over Ryan Mckenna.  Hicks has value as a role player, switch hits, and had postseason success last postseason with us.  Mckenna is a defensive replacement that has a history of "lapses" during his minor league career.  Now those lapses are costing us MLB games.  

I forgave Aaron Hicks for playing for the Yankees.  He had a lot of big moments last year, and oddly enough didn't block anyone other than Mckenna.  If your dislike for Aaron Hicks is making you stand up for Ryan Mckenna then there are bigger issues than discussing which player best suits this team.  

All I know is that the people in charge picked McKenna, and I'm reasonably sure they also know that the marginal value of one player in the the 26th roster spot vs. another is little bits of a win hidden down in the noise floor.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

There we go! When was the last time anyone anywhere ever brought up Blondie Purcell?!?

You wouldn't believe the spirited tussles they get into at the 1879 Syracuse Stars fan club meetings. If not for the more gentlemanly rules being adhered to you'd often get into fisticuffs after a long debate about the relative merits of Purcell vs. Kick Kelly.

10 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

All I know is that the people in charge picked McKenna, and I'm reasonably sure they also know that the marginal value of one player in the the 26th roster spot vs. another is little bits of a win hidden down in the noise floor.

I hear ya.  Hicks also wanted to pursue an everyday role that is why he ended up with the LAA.  Who is sure he even wants to come back.  He might just want to sit at home and collect his Yankee paycheck.  I believe we even claimed Burdick and made the small trade for Nevin shortly after Hicks chose the LAA.  

If we do bring back Hicks, then we get to take a look at him until Hays is ready.

Hicks has a .970 OPS vs LHP last year. We’re about to face a string of lefties. 

He was released by the Angels yesterday. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Hicks in our lineup on Saturday vs Abbot. Now whether that is for Kjerstad or for McKenna we shall see. Kjerstad makes sense if he’s not going to play much in the next 10 days anyway. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • sportsfan8703 changed the title to Any Interest in Aaron Hicks?