Draft Targets 2 Months Out

2 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Wasn't their type? Athletic college position player is exactly their type. I also remember Elias saying they had him in their top 10 and were surprised/happy he fell to 17.

First player they ever took in the first few rounds with virtually no power projection.

1 hour ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

6' 4" 235 former Iowa wide receiver with a 4SFB that touches 101 mph and a 70 grade SL. Ceiling is very high. Floor, if he stays healthy, is a backend BP guy who can close. There is not a lot of wear and tear on the arm. If he can refine the CU/Splitter for LH hitters he's a beast. 

As many on here know, I am not a fan of taking a pitcher, especially a college pitcher, in the first round. Too much risk for me at that price point/bonus slot. However, if Brecht falls to #22, you have to be tempted.

He is one of the few non-hs pitchers with the upside at 22 to potentially be worth it. But he has a ton of reliever risk. Which isn’t ideal in a first round pick

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

The arm looked ok.  He had shoulder surgery 2 years ago so there were some questions.  Can’t tell too much from that video.  My amateur opinion is that he might stick at SS but is more likely to move.  He supposedly has plus speed and CF has been mentioned along with 2B.  I think you’re drafting the power/speed combo athlete and just hoping the bat develops into something plus.   Kind of a LH version of Mac Horvath with a higher hit ceiling.

Everything I’ve seen says he has almost no chance to be ss or 3b unless his arm recovers more from the surgery. The fact that he’s two years removed and the arm strength still isn’t returning isn’t a great sign. We’d be drafting him for his bat. 

1 minute ago, OsFanInOhio said:

Everything I’ve seen says he has almost no chance to be ss or 3b unless his arm recovers more from the surgery. The fact that he’s two years removed and the arm strength still isn’t returning isn’t a great sign. We’d be drafting him for his bat. 

You thought the arm looked weak in the video?   It looked average to me.  Tough to say.   His actions didn’t scream out SS to me.   I think you draft him for is bat but you want some kind of defensive value too.  I’ve heard potential CF or 2B which is good enough for me.   

35 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

You thought the arm looked weak in the video?   It looked average to me.  Tough to say.   His actions didn’t scream out SS to me.   I think you draft him for is bat but you want some kind of defensive value too.  I’ve heard potential CF or 2B which is good enough for me.   

That arm action was not great for a SS, for me. The velocity was fine, but as in every showcase, it is max effort. His fielding actions were raw as well. Athletic guy. That video was a year ago, and a lot can change in a year. I like the swing, needs minimal tweaks, but it is fluid and quick. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

First player they ever took in the first few rounds with virtually no power projection.

We will start to learn some of what Elias really thinks this fall if EBJ is not traded next month.     Whether the first series is 3-game ALWC or 5-game ALDS, you don't need 13 pitchers.

If EBJ's defensive and baserunning acumen actually is what Elias thought it was...

ALDS Game 5 tied bottom of the 9th at OPACY and Adley Rutschman singles to start the inning.     Bonus points if Jose Trevino is catching.

I do believe Peter Bendix being a Raysian GM in a big ballpark in Miami, EBJ might be on his Bats wishlist for some of his Arms.

Fabian having a good looking season also could still be in the CF after Mullins mix.

8 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

We will start to learn some of what Elias really thinks this fall if EBJ is not traded next month.     Whether the first series is 3-game ALWC or 5-game ALDS, you don't need 13 pitchers.

If EBJ's defensive and baserunning acumen actually is what Elias thought it was...

ALDS Game 5 tied bottom of the 9th at OPACY and Adley Rutschman singles to start the inning.     Bonus points if Jose Trevino is catching.

I do believe Peter Bendix being a Raysian GM in a big ballpark in Miami, EBJ might be on his Bats wishlist for some of his Arms.

Fabian having a good looking season also could still be in the CF after Mullins mix.

I put the odds of EBJ appearing in a ML playoff games this fall at ZERO.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

I didn’t watch the video. My amateur eyes mean nothing. But I haven’t read a single scouting report or mock that projects him to the left side of the infield. Most refer to him as a long term lf or 2b. 

I have been wondering if this draft could be a bit of a shift in how the Elias era Orioles evaluate and select picks. What does Matt Blood do differently, and how does it affect the picks? And at what pick does Elias yield to Blood and his judgement? Or, is this just the same ole same ole, and they pick based on the Mejdal modeling principles? I am curious in the differences between Ciolek and Blood, if any. 

57 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

I have been wondering if this draft could be a bit of a shift in how the Elias era Orioles evaluate and select picks. What does Matt Blood do differently, and how does it affect the picks? And at what pick does Elias yield to Blood and his judgement? Or, is this just the same ole same ole, and they pick based on the Mejdal modeling principles? I am curious in the differences between Ciolek and Blood, if any. 

I think it shifted last year.  It was said at the time that PD was having more input on the draft.   Since Blood is in PD I’m thinking not a huge change.   

8 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I think it shifted last year.  It was said at the time that PD was having more input on the draft.   Since Blood is in PD I’m thinking not a huge change.   

Definitely a shift in 2023 by taking more pitchers, and early. What I am driving at is what we have all come to see as a “type,” as in college hitter, and the athletic upside traits we have come to expect. Do they go with more floor than ceiling, with some earlier picks like rounds 3-5, things like that. 

I don’t expect much of a change, other than some subtle things. As Tony has pointed out, the college bat misses in the early rounds are mounting. It is a fair criticism. What adjustments do they make as a result? It would be nice to see them take a few more upside HS guys early, but the bonus demands can be an issue.