Go get Kopech..and other potential BP additions

Going back to Oakland, I also like Lucas Erceg. His page is all red, so everything is good, except his age and SSS. 
I really think both teams would prefer prospects who aren’t MLB ready now, but a year or so away. Why waste pre arb years on a terrible team? Especially because of this stupid new draft lottery system. The only way to improve is to have a good farm, and we have the distant prospects to satisfy that. The only team that wants our ready-now guys is someone like KC or Cincinnati, maybe Az.

Or NY, laff laff.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/lucas-erceg-668674?stats=statcast-r-pitching-mlb

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 24fps said:

The real risk for the White Sox is not cleaning house this season - Kopech, Fedde, Jimenez, Robert, the whole lot...  Maybe Getz is still trying to get ownership to understand how bad their current situation is, but I wouldn't wait too long if I were them.

Their offense is historically bad so far they're averaging 2.94 runs scored per game. In 1968 year of the pitcher only three MLB teams scored less runs per game than this White Sox team.

Reinsdorf is a terrible owner so who knows if he will sign off on a rebuild. The sooner the White Sox get started the better.

Getz will most likely do what he did with Cease and ask for a lot based on what he did in 2022 while Elias will want to pay based on last year and this years numbers so unless he picks it up i am not sure they will see eye to eye.   I am not sure if we need a lefty or a righty more so that maybe a big part of who Elias goes after.  I actually think there is a few guys that would make more sense then him depending who becomes sellers.  You have Harvey and Finnegan from the Nats.  The Astros have Pressley and Montero,  Angels have Estevaz and A's have Erceg.  Mets have Ottavino.   All teams that will most likely be selling unless something changes drastically in next month.  Then you have a few other teams like the Jays, Cardinals, Giants, and Pirates all under .500.  I would prefer with going with someone that is having a good year compared to a guy that we hope can turn it around.  I'd rather pay a bit more for a game changer then over pay for a maybe.  

2 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m not sure either.

On one hand, Norby or Stowers sounds like too much. Stowers probably doesn’t have a future role here (unless the more highly touted guys are traded an he’s the fallback option) where as Norby does potentially have an important role here long term

Kopech has shown that while he has great stuff, he often struggles to command it, so it makes it tough to gauge his market.

OTOH, he dominated in 2021 as a reliever and the stuff is as good as it gets and if some team could harness it, he will be an elite reliever. 

I think he has multiple years in him of being a top end guy but I also think he could fall on his face. He’s a risk I would take as it’s minimal in dollars and could be a huge pay off.

What do you envision Norby's role on this team in the future?

23 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

Getz will most likely do what he did with Cease and ask for a lot based on what he did in 2022 while Elias will want to pay based on last year and this years numbers so unless he picks it up i am not sure they will see eye to eye.   I am not sure if we need a lefty or a righty more so that maybe a big part of who Elias goes after.  I actually think there is a few guys that would make more sense then him depending who becomes sellers.  You have Harvey and Finnegan from the Nats.  The Astros have Pressley and Montero,  Angels have Estevaz and A's have Erceg.  Mets have Ottavino.   All teams that will most likely be selling unless something changes drastically in next month.  Then you have a few other teams like the Jays, Cardinals, Giants, and Pirates all under .500.  I would prefer with going with someone that is having a good year compared to a guy that we hope can turn it around.  I'd rather pay a bit more for a game changer then over pay for a maybe.  

I hope that Getz understands that every GM who is likely to be selling this season already has Elias on speed dial.  That, and the unsuccessful Cease negotiation, should temper Getz's ask considerably.  And if it doesn't then you're right, the O's will still have choices elsewhere.

Kopech has not show the ability to close.  He has blown multiple saves and generally hasn’t had much success in high pressure situations. The arm is very lively, but the command is a problem.  He is likely to be nearly as frustrating a Fuji. 

Just now, baltfan said:

Kopech has not show the ability to close.  He has blown multiple saves and generally hasn’t had much success in high pressure situations. The arm is very lively, but the command is a problem.  He is likely to be nearly as frustrating a Fuji. 

How many save opportunities have the White Sox had? Looks like he's 2 for 3 in save chances. In 8 wins, I'm not sure how many saves they've had. I'm not super high on him for a package they'd likely want, but it doesn't appear he's blown multiple saves.

1 minute ago, Malike said:

How many save opportunities have the White Sox had? Looks like he's 2 for 3 in save chances. In 8 wins, I'm not sure how many saves they've had. I'm not super high on him for a package they'd likely want, but it doesn't appear he's blown multiple saves.

Having him on my fantasy team, I see his lines daily.  I was remembering the BS and loss as separate.  Good catch by you.  He has given up runs in 6/15 appearances.  He has 3 losses and only has 4 clean appearances out of 15.  Coulombe, e.g., has given up runs in 4/16 appearances.  He also has 8 clean appearances, though to be fair Kopech generally has longer appearances. 

Kopech has good stuff but will cost too much given the uncertainty of him in high leverage situations. 

3 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Having him on my fantasy team, I see his lines daily.  I was remembering the BS and loss as separate.  Good catch by you.  He has given up runs in 6/15 appearances.  He has 3 losses and only has 4 clean appearances out of 15.  Coulombe, e.g., has given up runs in 4/16 appearances.  He also has 8 clean appearances, though to be fair Kopech generally has longer appearances. 

Kopech has good stuff but will cost too much given the uncertainty of him in high leverage situations. 

Yeah, I'm not advocating for him. He just walks way too many hitters.

• Upvote 1

I think you have to get an elite guy unless we have an injury.  When Grayson comes back, assuming the health of everyone (big if), you have kimbrell, cano, coulombe, akin, Webb, Suarez, and Irvin in the pen.  If we are going to upgrade the bullpen, I would want a clear upgrade.

• Upvote 2

I imagine Kopech would cost more than Norby/Stowers. Perhaps notably more.  There are many teams that would be in on acquiring him, so IMHO they are not taking back an older (26) AAA guy like Stowers, though he still has decent value.  What it would take is hard to figure, but I'd think Beavers would be someone they'd be interested in.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Philip said:

Going back to Oakland, I also like Lucas Erceg. His page is all red, so everything is good, except his age and SSS. 
I really think both teams would prefer prospects who aren’t MLB ready now, but a year or so away. Why waste pre arb years on a terrible team? Especially because of this stupid new draft lottery system. The only way to improve is to have a good farm, and we have the distant prospects to satisfy that. The only team that wants our ready-now guys is someone like KC or Cincinnati, maybe Az.

Or NY, laff laff.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/lucas-erceg-668674?stats=statcast-r-pitching-mlb

I like him a lot too.

Edited by Greg Pappas

We need to be bold and make a trade for a "real" closer. I'm just not confident we are legitimately going to compete/win a world series unless we make that move. We have a bunch of B and C relievers. A former A isn't going to cut it.