Go get Kopech..and other potential BP additions

4 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I would be all over Helsley. Perfect target.

His statcast page is off the charts this year.

Definitely an excellent target.  I’m skeptical about the Cards selling though.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

His statcast page is off the charts this year.

Definitely an excellent target.  I’m skeptical about the Cards selling though.

Sometimes there’s a deal that works for both teams. Cardinals seem to have an older pitching staff.

• Sports Guy changed the title to Go get Kopech..and other potential BP additions
17 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I told them on that board that Kopech should go to the relief role and they told me no, that the WS thought they could make him a starter and that his upside was too high as a starter.

I was trying to get him included in a Cease deal and they wanted a decent amount for him although not top top guy level.

Im sure they think McDermott and/or Beavers is fair and that Stowers or Norby are too old.  

The White Sox lineup could use a young player like Norby in their lineup. Norby and a pitcher in return seems reasonable to me. Kopech led the AL in walks last year he's not starting pitcher material.

Another question.

whats the difference between “Whiff”  and “Chase” which sound like the same thing?

”Swinging K” must be a fangraphs stat, but that sounds like the same thing as well.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Kopech, AJ Puk, and Tanner Scott, are probably available now.  With Suarez in the pen now, I don't think we need two relievers.  Just one.  That one guy should be a closer at the deadline depending on what's available.  

We NEVER need Tanner Scott.

Note: I changed the title of the thread to use this thread to look at other options, not just Kopech, for the pen.

Helsley is a great target. The walk rate was higher last year and he had some injury issues but generally speaking, he’s an excellent target and the Cardinals need offense badly.

Stowers fits well for them as well.

1 minute ago, Philip said:

Another question.

whats the difference between “Whiff”  and “Chase” which sound like the same thing?

”Swinging K” must be a fangraphs stat, but that sounds like the same thing as well.

WHIFF is swing and miss..chase is getting them to go outside the strike zone.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Sometimes there’s a deal that works for both teams. Cardinals seem to have an older pitching staff.

They need a lot. It’s possible trading a reliever for everyday help right now is in their best interest.

Helsley getting all the saves means his value likely will be higher.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

They need a lot. It’s possible trading a reliever for everyday help right now is in their best interest.

Helsley getting all the saves means his value likely will be higher.

I would think they'd want quantity. Like when we traded Lopez, we got 4 pitchers, which thinking back now is insane and definitely one of Elias' best trades. 

I could see us needing to give up a couple of low level pitchers plus Stowers or Norby.

1 minute ago, interloper said:

I would think they'd want quantity. Like when we traded Lopez, we got 4 pitchers, which thinking back now is insane and definitely one of Elias' best trades. 

I could see us needing to give up a couple of low level pitchers plus Stowers or Norby.

If they are willing to trade him, I would think we need to move a little more than that.

1 minute ago, interloper said:

We have some low level guys that are trending up too. 

28 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

That’s possible especially since you wonder who will be out there.

If I were Getz, at this point, I probably hold onto him a little while and see if his raw numbers get better but that’s a risk too. 

The real risk for the White Sox is not cleaning house this season - Kopech, Fedde, Jimenez, Robert, the whole lot...  Maybe Getz is still trying to get ownership to understand how bad their current situation is, but I wouldn't wait too long if I were them.

1 minute ago, 24fps said:

The real risk for the White Sox is not cleaning house this season - Kopech, Fedde, Jimenez, Robert, the whole lot...  Maybe Getz is still trying to get ownership to understand how bad their current situation is, but I wouldn't wait too long if I were them.

Said it all offseason but not trading Robert was a huge mistake by them.

I really wanted the Os to go get him but I likely never would have traded what it would have taken to get him because I was worried about his injury history but the WS could have gotten a haul and that was a failure not to do so.

That said, they could still get a haul IF he can show he’s healthy and performing well.