Do you think Norby can be an everyday MLB player?

kidrock

Does he have the defense?

After adjusting his numbers down (from triple a to MLB), do you think he can hang on full time?  I really like him, but don’t know enough about projecting players.  Thanks for the wisdom.

Posted (edited)

Does he play baseball for a living? Yes

Can he field routine ground/fly balls?  Yes

Will he have great range in the IF/OF?  No

Strong Arm?  No

Can he hit MLB LHP?  This will be the determine factor. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

Norby projects to be about league average offensively. His AAA numbers look very good, but adjusting for the high level of offense at the AAA level means he’s not that far above AAA league average.

It all depends on his defense, which is very hard to project. If he was bringing plus defense somewhere he could be an everyday player.

Ultimately I think he’d fit as a very good bench piece for the Orioles, as a righty bat with defensive flexibility for LF/2B. They have a lot of lefty starters, particularly in the OF. But Norby hasn’t been required to be added to the 40 man roster yet (he will this offseason) and there’s so much depth right now he hasn’t been needed. 

There’s a very good chance he’ll provide more value to the Orioles as a trade chip to a team that will be able to give him a shot to be an everyday player, but if not I think he’ll get his chance to be a bench player for the Orioles in 2025+ (or this season, if we’re unlucky with injuries). Urias and Hays are both at risk for being non-tendered this offseason if they don’t bounce back in the remainder of this season, and Urias may not make it through this year. Mateo also has only one more year of control remaining and next year Holliday should be able to be the backup SS, although Mateo’s playing well enough right now to not be nontendered.

But Holliday, Mayo and Kjerstad are all ahead of Norby and only Santander is a free agent this offseason (O’Hearn has an option next year, which is now looking like a bargain), so it’s not clear where the roster space for Norby will come from when everyone is healthy. 

• Upvote 1

Signing that free agent whose name I've already forgotten for the opening day roster instead of giving Norby a little audition should tell you everything you need to know. They don't think he can hit MLB pitching and he's below average defensively.

I think it’s really, really hard to predict which players with good MiL numbers will see those translate well to the major leagues.   Especially these days.  So I can’t pretend like I know how Norby would hit as a major leaguer.  I’d love to see him get the chance.   I think if he can post a .750+ OPS, his glove will be adequate for him to hold down a starting job somewhere, though maybe not with us.  

1 hour ago, Matt Bennett said:

I think you forgot Colton Cowser

Not to mention Hayes or even Santander or some impending FA, the thought of a Norby/Stowers platoon in LF, hope were better than that, maybe they move the wall back in. 

1 hour ago, Matt Bennett said:

I think you forgot Colton Cowser

True, though in my mind I was kind of thinking Cowser might have to play CF. Also, come next OD, Beavers will be in the mix for an OF spot. 

With all of our LHH, Norby should be able to carve out a mini Zobrist lyte role with us in COF/2B. 

This system really isn’t that deep past Mayo, Basallo, Holliday, Beavers, and EBJ. 

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Norby can’t be worse than Kjerstad or O’Hearn in the OF.

2025 OF

LF - A Stowers/Norby platoon

RF - Kjerstad

CF - Mullins

I don't see Stowers ever playing a significant role. I wouldn't mind Cowser and Norby with Norby also playing some second and DH.

I think the answer based on his AAA performance is clearly yes but that doesn't mean it will be with the Orioles.  It is pretty clear that he has no path to the majors right now.  Holliday, Westburg, Mateo, Urias, Mayo are all ahead of him in the infield and Cowser, Kjerstad, O'Hearn, Santander, Hays, Mullins, Stowers and even Mateo are all ahead of him in the outfield.  

Sidenote to this but people keep throwing O'Hearn around like he just some average player.  I think the fact that he was an afterthought pickup seems to have people constantly midjudge him.  He has the highest OBP and OPS on the team and by advanced metrics is hitting the ball as hard as any player in baseball other than guys like Juan Soto.  I don't like him in the outfield at all but his bat has to be in this lineup everyday possible at this point with our recent struggles.  I would even be for trying him against some lefties and seeing what happens.  

17 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

This system really isn’t that deep past Mayo, Basallo, Holliday, Beavers, and EBJ. 

“This system isn’t that deep past 3 top ~15 prospects and 2 borderline top 100 prospects”

We’ve been spoiled by having a tremendous farm system the past few years, and have graduated by far the best young core of position players in baseball, without even counting those additional blue chip guys in Holliday, Mayo and Basallo. The system now looks more normal to above average than ludicrously strong.

There are plenty of interesting guys who could emerge but are not high probability prospects, and that’s what nearly all farm systems look like once you get past their top 5 prospects.

Once Holliday and Mayo graduate, it’s not likely to be a top 5 overall farm system anymore. But I expect it will still be in the 5-15 range. 

• Upvote 1