No holiday card for Laz Dias this year

ChipTait

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

He is terrible. Maybe Angel Hernandez is worse but Laz Diaz is in the running for the worst umpire in the game. 

Unfortunately, nothing will be done about it.  The umpires are not accountable.

That was a truly awful call.  As I’ve mentioned a few times, umps are actually pretty good (97% accurate) at calling true strikes as strikes.  So, it’s particularly brutal when an ump misses one by so much.  

Still, Kremer’s job after that was to get a lousy hitter out with a 1-2 count.  Not to throw a non-competitive 1-2 ball and then groove a pitch for a homer.  I was furious with Diaz at the time but the more I thought about it, that was still very poor by Kremer in that situation.  Can’t lose focus like that.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

That was a truly awful call.  As I’ve mentioned a few times, umps are actually pretty good (97% accurate) at calling true strikes as strikes.  So, it’s particularly brutal when an ump misses one by so much.  

Still, Kremer’s job after that was to get a lousy hitter out with a 1-2 count.  Not to throw a non-competitive 1-2 ball and then groove a pitch for a homer.  I was furious with Diaz at the time but the more I thought about it, that was still very poor by Kremer in that situation.  Can’t lose focus like that.  

That's easy for you to say. When you throw a perfect pitch and get screwed, what do you throw next? Some pitchers adjust better than others to bad calls. IMO, of the "six" starters the O's have, Kremer has the hardest time adjusting to the umps strike zone if it doesn't fit into his game. If Kremer doesn't get the legit low, strike he's not going to have a good night. Kremer has to improve in that area.

1 minute ago, AlbNYfan said:

That's easy for you to say. When you throw a perfect pitch and get screwed, what do you throw next? Some pitchers adjust better than others to bad calls. IMO, of the "six" starters the O's have, Kremer has the hardest time adjusting to the umps strike zone if it doesn't fit into his game. If Kremer doesn't get the legit low, strike he's not going to have a good night. Kremer has to improve in that area.

It’s very easy for me to say.  He’s a pro athlete, and I’m not.  When I play sports I’m very easily rattled, but I’m not being paid.

That said, Kremer really didn’t have his best stuff or command last night.  It just wasn’t his night.  It happens.  

19 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

Yeah I don’t care if you need six strikes, you can’t give up a homer to a guy with an OPS In the 300s or whatever it was. Pathetic call and equally pathetic pitch to follow. 

Give a bad hitter 4 or 5 strikes in an AB over the course of a year and he will become Babe Ruth. 

• Upvote 1

I have to imagine his impactful calls are going to be heavily favored towards St Louis in this game. He was truly awful.

BTW, the pitch Kremer threw for the homer afterwards wasn't horrible. It was actually in third up and in to a lefty which is typically not an area where lefties typically hit well. 

image.thumb.png.88fcedc573dabdefccfa0e87caef5bc7.png

If you want to add to the blame, blame Rutschman for calling 4 straight fastballs to a hitter who was 3-for-30 this year on any pitch that was not a fastball.

I know I've been harping a lot lately on Rustchman's pitch calling, but he's quickly getting into Wieters territory for calling for a lot of fastballs in succession. 

If every major sport can have reply for impactful calls, then baseball needs to follow suit ASAP.  Yes, we can reply certain things in mlb, but the technology is there and it is being used in the minors with great success for strikes/balls. It makes 0 sense to keep letting awful calls by the umpire impact the outcome of games.

49 minutes ago, AlbNYfan said:

Kremer was very rarely missing low last night. It seemed like everything was up, even the splitter.

40 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

BTW, the pitch Kremer threw for the homer afterwards wasn't horrible. It was actually in third up and in to a lefty which is typically not an area where lefties typically hit well. 

Kremer also made good pitches to the first two hitters that inning. Burleson hit a shoestring level curveball and Herrera's was up and in on his hands. He didn't have great stuff but he was fighting bad breaks and umpiring as well.