You can stick a fork in Pauley so far as I'm concerned

Frobby

Good point.

Still, the extra base hits are a bit of a concern, IMO.

They sure are...Anyone denying that is a fool.

But it would also be foolish to say that since it has occured in 11 IP, that we should just drop him as well.

There is some upside potential there..even if the upside isn't more than a back of the rotation guy.

Look, we all know we are looking for 3-5 month placeholders...I would rather those placeholders be guys that could potentially have a spot on this team for the long term.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have seen him pitch and his stuff is not good enough for the big leagues.

This is what matters in ST I think. Yes the stats are unreliable but what the coaches are seeing matters. How he approaches hitters and what his pitches are looking like.

Agreed it's a small sample size, but sometimes that's all you need. This guy had a cup of coffee in the majors in 2007, and he stunk it up. He had another cup of coffee in 2008 and he stunk again. He's stunk every time out this spring except once. And it's not like he was a ball of fire in the minors to begin with.

We're reaching the point where the starters need to be stretched out and choices have to be made. If I am Dave Trembley, the choice on Pualey is clear.

I understand that you have to make decisions based on something. But if Pauley gets cut I'm hoping his spring performance is just one input to the decision process. Why he's performing badly and whether that's something that will likely continue is far more important than the fact he has a bad ERA in, like, 15 innings in March.

Posted this before:

1) He is out of options.

2) He is only 25(26 in June).

3) Over the past 2 seasons, he has made 51 starts in the minors and has averaged almost 6 IP per start...And he had one relief appearance in that time period where he went 6 innings.

4) He hasn't shown much in the majors but he has also only pitched 28 innings...But in the minors, he showed pretty good command. His FIP in 2007 was 4.35 and last year it was 3.65...Both years in AAA.(his career FIP is 4.23)

I don't expect him to be anything great but he had a 5.21 MLE FIP in 2007 and a 4.39 MLE FIP last year.

So, if he can stay healthy, maybe he can get us 25-30 starts, pitch 150-160 innings and give us a 4.80ish ERA.

Good command is meaningless if you throw meatballs.

Agreed it's a small sample size, but sometimes that's all you need. This guy had a cup of coffee in the majors in 2007, and he stunk it up. He had another cup of coffee in 2008 and he stunk again. He's stunk every time out this spring except once. And it's not like he was a ball of fire in the minors to begin with.

We're reaching the point where the starters need to be stretched out and choices have to be made. If I am Dave Trembley, the choice on Pualey is clear.

Sounds familiar...someone we are generally fond of...what's his name...

Oh yeah...JEREMY GUTHRIE!

Let's not throw him off the bridge before it has even been built.

11 innings is very definately a small sample size. On the other hand, in these limited innings he hasn't been too impressive and others with similar upside or better have outpitched him. So, we reassign him and hope for the best. It's not clear that we have a starting spot open for him at AAA anyway. I'll be mildly pleased if he makes it through and not heartbroken if he doesn't.

You're comparing Pauley's situation to Guthrie?

Yeah, I thought that was strange as well. Even without hindsight Guthrie's stuff was better before he became what he is, here's his first ST with O's, 1.38 ERA in 13 innings

I don't expect him to be anything great but he had a 5.21 MLE FIP in 2007 and a 4.39 MLE FIP last year.

I'm sorry, he had a whogee whatzee when? What does this describe in the real world and how does it apply to the actual game of baseball? I know this says more about me than it does the stats themselves and I might be starting to sound like Old#5, but did you listen to the game today. Pauley sucked (disclaimer-not a personal attack, I'm sure he's a nice guy, it was his performance that sucked, not him ;) ). And, he's pretty much stunk (see prior note) every time out but one. He's actually gotten worse instead of better the deeper into ST that we've gone. And, he's still only facing lineups one time through. Please, stick a fork in him. He'll easily pass through waivers. My only fear is that we'll actually keep him in AAA.

The only good news from Pauley is that every time he pitches, Bergesen looks better and better. At least one of the youngsters still has a shot at this rotation.

Edit: I don't really want an explanation of the MLEFIPEIEIO. I'm sure it would make my head hurt. :)

I understand that you have to make decisions based on something. But if Pauley gets cut I'm hoping his spring performance is just one input to the decision process. Why he's performing badly and whether that's something that will likely continue is far more important than the fact he has a bad ERA in, like, 15 innings in March.

Thank you.

He's got a raft of P-coaches watching him pitch, and all we have are numbers on the internet. I have no idea what the O's will decide but, whatever it is, I bet it will be based on what they see with their eyes and what they expect is reasonable based on his history; I bet the piddling numbers that we get to see will not loom large in their decision.

If Pauley gets sent to the minors and isn't in this rotation, whats the big deal?

He was swapped for a player we didn't need and brought in to maybe compete for a spot in the rotation. Nobody at all thought he would be a longtime fixture in the rotation, but maybe he would be able to hold it down until someone was ready to come up.

So one of our maybes hasn't panned out, not that big of a deal. It stinks that our rotation has even more question marks right now, but its not like he was brought in as a sure fire number 4 or 5 starter.

One downfall, as previously mentioned in this thread, is that if he goes to the minors he will be taking innings from our other young pitchers. I guess he could be a long reliever there? I don't know.

What might end up happening is that Hendrickson starts the season in the rotation and Pauley goes to the pen, but I don't know if this would solve anything.

I'm sorry, he had a whogee whatzee when? What does this describe in the real world and how does it apply to the actual game of baseball? I know this says more about me than it does the stats themselves and I might be starting to sound like Old#5, but did you listen to the game today. Pauley sucked (disclaimer-not a personal attack, I'm sure he's a nice guy, it was his performance that sucked, not him ;) ). And, he's pretty much stunk (see prior note) every time out but one. He's actually gotten worse instead of better the deeper into ST that we've gone. And, he's still only facing lineups one time through. Please, stick a fork in him. He'll easily pass through waivers. My only fear is that we'll actually keep him in AAA.

The only good news from Pauley is that every time he pitches, Bergesen looks better and better. At least one of the youngsters still has a shot at this rotation.

Edit: I don't really want an explanation of the MLEFIPEIEIO. I'm sure it would make my head hurt. :)

MLE is his major league equivalent ERA.

Archived