Friday May 24: Orioles at White Sox, exclusively televised by AppleTV+ [RAIN DELAYED START]

SteveA

Posted (edited)

Gametime:  7:40 pm EDT

Forecast:  74 degrees, mostly cloudy, slight chance of rain

Roster Moves:   Nick Vespi and Dillon Tate recalled from Norfolk;   Dean Kremer placed on the 15 day IL (right triceps strain).  Jonathan Heasley optioned to Norfolk.

MatchupCorbin Burnes (R) vs Chris Flexen (R)

Lineups

Orioles Bench
Colton Cowser (L)
Adley Rutschman (S)
Kyle Stowers (L)
Ramon Urias (R)

Orioles Bullpen Availability

Available
Yennier Cano (R)  0.1 IP, 13p last night

Danny Coulombe (L)   1.0 IP, 13p last night
Craig Kimbrel  (R)   0,2 IP, 2p last night
Cionel Perez (L)   1.2 IP, 36p Monday
Dillon Tate (R)  1.0 IP, 17p Wednesday
Nick Vespi (L)  1.0 IP, 11p Wednesday

Maybe Available
Keegan Akin (L)   2.1 IP, 34p Wednesday;   1.1 IP, 15p Monday
Albert Suarez (R)   0.2 IP, 11p yesterday;  1.0 IP, 24p Monday (could be tomorrow's starter, currently unannounced)

Not Available
Jacob Webb (R)  1.0 IP, 21p last night;  0.2 IP, 14p Wednesday

Edited by SteveA

47 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

Stowers riding pine again.

Maybe it's time to package Stowers, Kjerstad, and Norby for a MLB bull pen arm and a couple lottery pick prospects in A ball. 

When I saw Stowers and Cowser and Adley on the bench, and Hays and McCann and Mountcastle playing, it made me wonder if Flexen had reverse splits.

And sure enough, he does.   He's a righthanded pitcher but for his 532 inning career, righthanded hitters have a massive .869 (!!!) OPS against him, while lefties have OPS'ed .723.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, SteveA said:

When I saw Stowers and Cowser and Adley on the bench, and Hays and McCann and Mountcastle playing, it made me wonder if Flexen had reverse splits.

And sure enough, he does.   He's a righthanded pitcher but for his 532 inning career, righthanded hitters have a massive .869 (!!!) OPS against him, while lefties have OPS'ed .723.

That helps explain today's lineup.  Why not go one step further and put Mateo in CF, bench Mullins, and play Urias at 2B?

I still think it is obvious that Stowers and Norby don't figure into management plans for the future and Kjerstad is iffy.  Why not deal them now while we need help on the staff?

6 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

That helps explain today's lineup.  Why not go one step further and put Mateo in CF, bench Mullins, and play Urias at 2B?

I still think it is obvious that Stowers and Norby don't figure into management plans for the future and Kjerstad is iffy.  Why not deal them now while we need help on the staff?

You don't think that with Santander likely gone next year, and Hays often injured, that those guys still don't figure in the plans?

• Upvote 1

• SteveA changed the title to Friday May 24: Orioles at White Sox, exclusively televised by AppleTV+ [RAIN DELAYED START]
1 hour ago, Yossarian said:

Stowers riding pine again.

Maybe it's time to package Stowers, Kjerstad, and Norby for a MLB bull pen arm and a couple lottery pick prospects in A ball. 

I feel like the 22nd overall prospect in baseball might fetch an MLB bullpen arm by himself.